What's the recommended way of watching Star Trek?

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Saying something that doesn't make sense and then saying "I don't know how it makes sense but anything is possible," doesn't cause what you said to make any sense. I could claim that a trans-dimensional unicorn that burps time exists, and I could use the same rational you're using to defend that claim. That doesn't mean either claim makes sense.

But see this is where you haste just because you want to haste. I think we've been down this road before you and I in another thread. You can't use a trans-dimensional unicorn and then base a theory from there because it doesn't exist. But a 2-d world exists. Draw something on paper. That's 2d.
If that world was alive, you'd be master of their universe, their 2-d universe. So when you have something that exist, like a 2-d world then you base a theory from there.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But see this is where you haste just because you want to haste. I think we've been down this road before you and I in another thread. You can't use a trans-dimensional unicorn and then base a theory from there because it doesn't exist. But a 2-d world exists. Draw something on paper. That's 2d.
If that world was alive, you'd be master of their universe, their 2-d universe. So when you have something that exist, like a 2-d world then you base a theory from there.
Had you actually read my post, you would have read that I could use your 2D analogy to defend my unicorn in the same way you're using it to defend this nonsense about self-correcting time travel and alternative grandpa deaths.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Had you actually read my post, you would have read that I could use your 2D analogy to defend my unicorn in the same way you're using it to defend this nonsense about self-correcting time travel and alternative grandpa deaths.

I did read your post.
But again you are using a unicorn a legendary/mythical animal in a world of calculations.

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Lacious like i said earlier, i didn't come up with this. I just like it because it's based on Quantum Theory which we don't understand but we can demonstrate it in experiments.
Here are some of the critics of this theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_wavefunction

It's a theory in its infancy, something that may take millennia to prove.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacious like i said earlier, i didn't come up with this. I just like it because it's based on Quantum Theory which we don't understand but we can demonstrate it in experiments.
You haven't shown any connection between your ideas in bold and quantum theory.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Claiming multiple timelines exist simultaneously is quite a reach. I have no doubt that there can be multiple timelines, however, I am of the belief that only one can exist at any given time.

Say you were to travel to the future... The events inbetween your departure from the present and your arrival in the future have only been altered by your not taking part in them. You could return back to the moment you left and live out events of the "timeline" up to the point they begin to diverge from your glimpse of the future due to your now taking part in them. In short, you can travel into the future and return to the same present day...

Now say you travel to the past... The moment you arrive in the past, "your" present day no longer exists. There is no returning to it. You are now part of a new timeline. The more of an impact you have in the past, the more the "present day" will diverge from what you previously lived.

Now let's say you kill your grandfather and disrupt the chain of events leading up to your existence... You continue to exist because those events did happen prior to your travels...

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Now say you travel to the past... The moment you arrive in the past, "your" present day no longer exists. There is no returning to it. You are now part of a new timeline.

Yes wrettcaugh, that's what some of the people say in this theory. What you call a timeline they call an alternate universe. And they don't see time as an arrow, one-directional, they see it frame-by-frame like a movie reel, but scrambled. Each frame is floating randomly in no particular order.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Claiming multiple timelines exist simultaneously is quite a reach.
Sure, and I'm not claiming that multiple timelines and realities exist or can exist. I'm claiming it's the only way for backwards time travel to make sense.

however, I am of the belief that only one can exist at any given time.
I'll let you reread that and figure out what the problem with that statement is.

Say you were to travel to the future... The events inbetween your departure from the present and your arrival in the future have only been altered by your not taking part in them.
Correct, but I wouldn't use the word "altered" because the future hadn't happened yet; nothing changed because there was nothing to change from.

You could return back to the moment you left and live out events of the "timeline" up to the point they begin to diverge from your glimpse of the future due to your now taking part in them. In short, you can travel into the future and return to the same present day...
Let's pretend you traveled to 2043 from 2013. In 2043, everyone acts like you disappeared in 2013. If you travel back in time to 2013 and live out your life normally, you have created an alternate reality in which you didn't disappear for 30 years:
  • Timeline 1:
    • 2013: You (TL1) disappear because you skipped ahead to the future.
    • 2043: You (TL1) arrive from the past. You (TL1) haven't aged a day. Everyone (TL1) is shocked to see you because you disappeared. You (TL1) travel back to 2013, causing Timeline 2 to form.
  • Timeline 2:
    • 2013: You (TL2) travels to the future (TL2). You (TL1) arrive here from 2043 (TL1). You (TL1) live out your life normally.
    • 2043: You (TL2) arrive from the past. You (TL2) haven't aged a day. Everyone (TL2) is shocked to see you so young. You (TL2) is also greeted by an older version (TL1) of yourself who lived your life.
Now say you travel to the past... The moment you arrive in the past, "your" present day no longer exists.
Actually, the reality in which you came from has to still exist. Otherwise, it has the potential for a paradox.

There is no returning to it.
Possibly, depending on your method of time travel. If you went through a wormhole from 2013 to 1913, your 2013 would still exist as you left it on the other side of the wormhole no matter what you do in 1913. Depending on whether or not you violate causality, your 2013 might even include your actions in 1913 already. This is a ridiculous thought experiment, but imagine in 2013 you tie one end of a giant rope around the Earth and the other end around a spaceship. Presumably, your spaceship and rope are immune to the gravitational effects of a wormhole. You then fly the spaceship through a wormhole to 1913. You blow up the Earth in 1913. What is your rope attached to? Without alternate realities, this would be a paradox. In fact, your rope is still attached to Earth on the 2013 end in a reality where you never arrived and blew it up.

You are now part of a new timeline. The more of an impact you have in the past, the more the "present day" will diverge from what you previously lived.
In regards to the new reality you're helping to form, yes. But your old reality still exists.

Now let's say you kill your grandfather and disrupt the chain of events leading up to your existence... You continue to exist because those events did happen prior to your travels...
Correct. In your home reality that still exists.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, and I'm not claiming that multiple timelines and realities exist or can exist. I'm claiming it's the only way for backwards time travel to make sense.

I'll let you reread that and figure out what the problem with that statement is.

Correct, but I wouldn't use the word "altered" because the future hadn't happened yet; nothing changed because there was nothing to change from.

Let's pretend you traveled to 2043 from 2013. In 2043, everyone acts like you disappeared in 2013. If you travel back in time to 2013 and live out your life normally, you have created an alternate reality in which you didn't disappear for 30 years:
  • Timeline 1:
    • 2013: You (TL1) disappear because you skipped ahead to the future.
    • 2043: You (TL1) arrive from the past. You (TL1) haven't aged a day. Everyone (TL1) is shocked to see you because you disappeared. You (TL1) travel back to 2013, causing Timeline 2 to form.
  • Timeline 2:
    • 2013: You (TL2) travels to the future (TL2). You (TL1) arrive here from 2043 (TL1). You (TL1) live out your life normally.
    • 2043: You (TL2) arrive from the past. You (TL2) haven't aged a day. Everyone (TL2) is shocked to see you so young. You (TL2) is also greeted by an older version (TL1) of yourself who lived your life.
Actually, the reality in which you came from has to still exist. Otherwise, it has the potential for a paradox.

Possibly, depending on your method of time travel. If you went through a wormhole from 2013 to 1913, your 2013 would still exist as you left it on the other side of the wormhole no matter what you do in 1913. Depending on whether or not you violate causality, your 2013 might even include your actions in 1913 already. This is a ridiculous thought experiment, but imagine in 2013 you tie one end of a giant rope around the Earth and the other end around a spaceship. Presumably, your spaceship and rope are immune to the gravitational effects of a wormhole. You then fly the spaceship through a wormhole to 1913. You blow up the Earth in 1913. What is your rope attached to? Without alternate realities, this would be a paradox. In fact, your rope is still attached to Earth on the 2013 end in a reality where you never arrived and blew it up.

In regards to the new reality you're helping to form, yes. But your old reality still exists.

Correct. In your home reality that still exists.
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, but the way you through around the term "alternate reality" makes it sounds like you believe all of these realities exist simultaneously... If that's the case, my next question would be "Where?" Where do these alternate realities exist? Another "plane" of existence? On another "invisible" spectrum? Another time-space continuum? Because that sounds more in line with faith than science, and what I mean by that is science has no means of proving any of those things even remotely exist (aside from visual spectrums...) so any "knowledge" of their existence in them is a matter of faith rather than science.

As far as wormholes, they are irrelevant. You are making presumptions based on a sci-fi approach to how wormholes work and Star Trek (especially) is incredibly inconsistent regarding this.

So, seeing as there is little actual science involved, your approach to time travel has to be a little more pragmatic. The first thing to contemplate is...there are no true paradoxes.

The most common time travel "paradox": Man goes back in time and alters events in a way that prevents any future time travel, which in turn, prevents him from ever going back in time in the first place...
There is no paradox here because the moment the man arrives in the past (let's say 1960) any events taking place between 1960 and his "present day" no longer exist. He's essentially pressed the reset button on that period of time. The events leading to his being in the past have been erased, but that doesn't change the fact that he's in the past (which has now become the present). The man is simply the only remnant of that "reality".

So this leads to the most frightening prospect of time travel...
At the press of a button, we all cease to exist as we are now.
Should the traveler(s) travel to a time prior to our births, there will of course be the chance that we will never exist.
Grasping at theories like multiple universes or alternate timelines (in my opinion) are no different then believing in an afterlife. Our consciousness makes it impossible to imagine that one day we could be playing videogames and suddenly cease to exist the instant someone 3000 miles away decides they want to travel back in time (because, as you said, the future doesn't exist)... So someone decided that if there were divergent timelines, they could continue to live out the rest of their lives as if nothing had ever happened...while in some other universe, that time travel actually has consequences. No different from someone deciding that if they go to heaven/hell/purgatory/whatever after they die...their consciousness will never cease to exist.

And now I would love for someone to tell me precisely how wrong I am while following it up with exactly why and how they definitively know the answer. ;)

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The short answer is no, that's not correct, but it depends on how you look at it. Because the Borg's temporal incursion didn't violate causality in any way (they failed), you have an infinite number of timelines that are occurring identically:
  • Timeline 1: No Borg or Enterprise-E arrive from the future because no future has happened yet. The warp flight in 2063 is successful. The timeline happens very similarly to what we've seen in the prime timeline (the episode Regeneration doesn't occur, for example). In an effort to assimilate Earth in the past, the Borg go back in time. The Enterprise-E (probable) or another ship follows it in an effort to stop the Borg. Timeline 2 is created.
  • Timeline 2: The Borg and the Enterprise-E (or another ship) come from the past and influence the first warp flight. The warp flight is still successful. The timeline happens very similarly to Timeline 1. The Borg of the present go back in time. The Enterprise-E (probable) or another ship goes back in time to stop it. Timeline 3 is created...
This keeps going, and because only minor changes are being made to the timelines, a state of "temporal equilibrium" is reached in which an infinite number of timelines all happen identically in contrast to the finite number of timelines (TL1, for example) that were different and/or didn't involve time travel. The events of First Contact are something like the Borg and Enterprise-E of Timeline 599423 going back in time and interacting with the past of Timeline 599424. The Enterprise-E's past likely includes the interactions they had with the past. Since there are an infinite number of identical timelines involving the interactions of the Borg and Enterprise-E from the future, there is a 100% chance that their past includes the things they were about to identically do in the past. Hopefully that makes sense.

This is correct.

Nothing you've said in bold has any basis in reality or quantum mechanics.
The Borg may have been thwarted in preventing first contact, assimilating Earth, or even altering the trajectory of Zefram Cochrane's warp flight, but the timeline remains contaminated, as the crew of the Enterprise-E did a less than thorough clean-up job: In the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", Borg drones were discovered 90 years later in the Arctic. These drones assimilated the scientists who discovered them, along with their transport, made their way into space, and were able to transmit Earth's spatial coordinates to the Borg in the Delta Quadrant which, conveniently, would not be received before the 24th century, thus entertaining the possibility of a temporal causality loop or predestination paradox.
If you throw in the many-worlds interpretation, nullify the causal loop and allow the Enterprise-E to return to an unaltered future, (how?) any timeline with the events of "First Contact" in its history must diverge from the "Prime" (Enterprise, Abramsverse). Nero's 2233 incursion merely compounded the Borg incursion of 2063. If the temporal incursion of 2233 created an alternate reality, how is the 2063 incursion any different?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, but the way you through around the term "alternate reality" makes it sounds like you believe all of these realities exist simultaneously... If that's the case, my next question would be "Where?" Where do these alternate realities exist? Another "plane" of existence? On another "invisible" spectrum? Another time-space continuum?
You're applying a spacial concept to something that deals with different states of the same matter and space-time. That's like asking "When are the other realities?" It's nonsensical, like your statement about there only being "one timeline at a time." If I had a wormhole that led to my living room 10 minutes in the past, I stepped through that wormhole and trashed the place, and then I returned to my reality where my living room weren't trashed, both living rooms are in the same spacial location.

Dealing with the broader implications of alternate realities that you're trying to allude to, I don't have those answers. In the absence of evidence, I don't even accept the claim that alternate realities exist. I'm only arguing that it's the only way we know of for backwards time travel to make sense. On an unrelated note, the multiple worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and/or time travel doesn't even violate conservation of matter/energy.

Because that sounds more in line with faith than science, and what I mean by that is science has no means of proving any of those things even remotely exist (aside from visualspectrums...) so any "knowledge" of their existence in them is a matter of faith rather than science.
It would be faith if I accepted the claim that alternate realities exist without reason. I don't accept that claim.

As far as wormholes, they are irrelevant. You are making presumptions based on a sci-fi approach to how wormholes work and Star Trek (especially) is incredibly inconsistent regarding this.
There's quite a lot of science involved in the concept of wormholes, and they're permitted by the Einstein field equations of general relativity. All you have to do is account for a negative energy density, which is absolutely possible. Wormholes are also the most feasible form of possible time travel, as far as we understand.

The first thing to contemplate is...there are no true paradoxes.
Boldly asserting there are no paradoxes doesn't resolve those paradoxes.

The most common time travel "paradox": Man goes back in time and alters events in a way that prevents any future time travel, which in turn, prevents him from ever going back in time in the first place...
There is no paradox here because the moment the man arrives in the past (let's say 1960) any events taking place between 1960 and his "present day" no longer exist. He's essentially pressed the reset button on that period of time. The events leading to his being in the past have been erased, but that doesn't change the fact that he's in the past (which has now become the present). The man is simply the only remnant of that "reality".
That's a paradox, and now you're the one violating concepts like the law of conservation of matter/energy. I understand what you're trying to argue about possible time travel, but you're failing to comprehend the paradox. If time travel were just like a VCR, then altering the events that lead to time travel erase the act of time travel. For example:
  • March 5: I pick an apple and eat it.
  • March 6: I build a time machine.
  • March 7: I step inside my time machine and go back in time to March 5.
TIMELINE RESETS
  • March 5: I pick an apple and am about to eat it when, in a blinding flash of light, I arrive from the future and shoot the guy and then myself.
  • March 6: No one builds a time machine.
  • March 7: No one steps inside the time machine to go back in time to March 5.
TIMELINE RESETS
  • March 5: I pick an apple and eat it.
  • March 6: I build a time machine.
  • March 7: I step inside my time machine and go back in time to March 5.
And that goes on forever.

Alternatively:
  • March 5: You and I meet up. We decide that if a particular wall is red when we look at it on March 6, we're going to go back in time to March 5 and paint it yellow. If it's yellow on March 6, we're going to paint it red, all regardless of what it is on March 5.
  • March 6: We see the wall is red.
  • March 7: We go back in time to March 5 with yellow paint.
TIMELINE RESETS
  • March 5: You and I meet up. We decide that if a particular wall is red when we look at it on March 6, we're going to go back in time to March 5 and paint it yellow. If it's yellow on March 6, we're going to paint it red, all regardless of what it is on March 5. Meanwhile, we arrive from the future and paint the wall yellow.
  • March 6: We see the wall is yellow.
  • March 7: We go back in time to March 5 with red paint.
TIMELINE RESETS
  • March 5: You and I meet up. We decide that if a particular wall is red when we look at it on March 6, we're going to go back in time to March 5 and paint it yellow. If it's yellow on March 6, we're going to paint it red, all regardless of what it is on March 5. Meanwhile, we arrive from the future and paint the wall red.
  • March 6: We see the wall is red.
  • March 7: We go back in time to March 5 with yellow paint.
And the timeline resets forever. The problem is that time moves linearly. What happens on March 9? However, things like wormholes potentially allow objects (and people) to move to different points in time. This doesn't change the directional flow of time for the universe. I refer you back to my rope around the Earth example, because it really exemplifies how backwards time travel is paradoxical, with or without a rope, if you assume causality can be violated but there aren't multiple realities. You have yet to resolve those paradoxes. If you think someone can go back in time and prevent him or herself from being born without it a.) causing a paradox, or b.) involving alternate realities, then you don't know what a paradox is.

So this leads to the most frightening prospect of time travel...
At the press of a button, we all cease to exist as we are now.
Should the traveler(s) travel to a time prior to our births, there will of course be the chance that we will never exist.
For the reasons I mentioned above, this is not how time travel would work because a.) You're not interrupting the directional flow of time for the rest of the universe, and b.) it has the potential to be paradoxical.

Grasping at theories like multiple universes or alternate timelines (in my opinion) are no different then believing in an afterlife.
You're right that belief in alternate realities and timelines isn't much different from belief in an afterlife. Good thing I don't accept any of these claims as true. It is true, however, that a multiple realities approach is the only one that resolves the paradoxes and is, as far as we know, physically possible if time travel is possible.

And now I would love for someone to tell me precisely how wrong I am while following it up with exactly why and how they definitively know the answer.
You're wrong when you say backwards time travel isn't paradoxical without a multiple realities approach the same way I know A=A is always true. I've demonstrated the time travel paradoxes pretty clearly, and you haven't resolved them yet. If you can resolve the paradoxes another way, be my guest.

The Borg may have been thwarted in preventing first contact, or even altering the trajectory of Zefram Cochrane's warp flight, but the timeline remains contaminated, as the crew of the Enterprise-E did a less than thorough clean-up job: In the Enterprise episode "Regeneration", Borg drones were discovered 90 years later in the Arctic. These drones assimilated the scientists who discovered them, along with their transport, made their way into space. and were able to transmit Earth's spatial coordinates to the Borg in the Delta Quadrant which conveniently would not be received before the 24th century...
You seemed to have missed the entire point of my response, which was that because causality was never violated, there's a near 100% chance that the timeline the Enterprise-E originally came from also included the events of Regeneration. I suggest you reread my post. Based on how the time travel likely occurred as I explained it, if someone who had witnessed the events of Regeneration had also been on the Enterprise-E, it would have looked like the timeline weren't changed in any way.

thus entertaining the possibility of a temporal causality loop or predestination paradox.
Infinite timelines like the ones I described involving First Contact can sometimes give the illusion of a causality loop or a predestination paradox. The only requirement is that there is an initial catalyst in a timeline that leads to the series of events that appears to be a causal loop. For example:
  • Timeline 1: I (TL1) build a time machine, grab a gun, and go back in time to scare my friend at a time and place I know he's going to be.
  • Timeline 2: I (TL1) arrive from the future, trip, and accidentally shoot my friend (TL2) in the past. Seeing my friend shot by a mystery figure, I (TL2) travel back in time with my gun to prevent this tragedy.
  • Timeline 3: I (TL2) arrive from the future, trip, and accidentally shoot my friend (TL3) in the past. Seeing my friend shot by a mystery figure, I (TL3) travel back in time with my gun to prevent this tragedy.
Now you have an apparent causal loop. If causality isn't violated or a series of events leads to a situation in which causality isn't violated, what appears to be a causal loop on the surface can appear. The above example and how I described First Contact demonstrate this.

If you throw in the many-worlds interpretation, nullify the causal loop and allow the Enterprise-E to return to an unaltered future, (how?)
A wormhole necessarily allows for the travel between altered and unaltered realities and timelines. I refer you to my rope-around-the-Earth "example."

If you throw in the many-worlds interpretation, nullify the causal loop and allow the Enterprise-E to return to an unaltered future, (how?) any timeline with the events of "First Contact" in its history must diverge from the "Prime" (Enterprise, Abramsverse). Nero's 2233 incursion merely compounded the Borg incursion of 2063. If the temporal incursion of 2233 created an alternate reality, how is the 2063 incursion any different?
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Depending on how you look at it, the 2063 incursion isn't any different from the events of the 2009 film. Backwards time travel necessarily formed alternate timelines. The difference is the Enterprise-E's own past includes their actions in past with the Borg; nothing was changed because of the infinite loop of identical timelines. You're right that there had to have been a prime timeline that catalyzed the whole thing in which time travel from the future didn't occur, but it's statistically irrelevant. I refer you back to my explanation of First Contact. Had someone on the Enterprise-E been around during the events of Regeneration, they would have remembered the Borg being there because their past already includes the Borg incursion. That's the only difference; Prime Spock's past does not include the Nero incursion.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crc3q7.jpg

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not what a paradox is.

You're not seeing the paradox that the Klingon war timeline happened first, the timeline where she died was only created when the Enterprise-C was sent back. However she made her decision based on knowledge on facts that hadn't happened and were from a different timeline. It's just as big a paradox in the multi timeline universe as the single timeline universe.

"magic" is when something unexplainable props up the story. Going back in time is a perfect example of that. Characters have "magic" interactions, where only things that help the plot along will change events in the future. While just existing in the past is likely to have huge implications, due to the butterfly effect. Things happen because the writers say they happen, not because it makes any form of sense. "magic" can just as easily be used to gloss over why a time traveller in the past doesn't necessarily cease to exist as soon as they change something that would affect them being born or attempting to go back in time.

But both theories applied to Star Trek rely on "magic".

Both theories require purposefully misinterpreting events that have happened in various Star Trek stories. Therefore their must be some other explanation, maybe it's all a computer simulation or a dream someone had in a shower?

I tend to ignore everything non Kirk related in Star Trek, because it makes as much sense as Battlestar Galactica 1980. And kirk never had to rely on multiple time lines. The multiple time line for me is when they jumped the shark.

From tvtropes: "What the non-linear aliens in the Bajoran wormhole or the Q must think of all this is probably best left for fan fiction." I'd like to know what you think of that.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not seeing the paradox that the Klingon war timeline happened first
I'll let you think about why this statement is nonsensical. Regardless, I explained earlier how this isn't even the case. I refer you back to my breakdown of the timelines in Yesterday's Enterprise. For those two reasons, it is not a paradox. The only way it is a paradox is if you don't employ a multiple timelines approach.

"magic" is when something unexplainable props up the story.
There is a difference between unexplained and supernatural, and it doesn't matter how unexplained something is in order for me to identify unresolved paradoxes.

Both theories require purposefully misinterpreting events that have happened in various Star Trek stories. Therefore their must be some other explanation, maybe it's all a computer simulation or a dream someone had in a shower?
Your interpretation necessarily requires that you have unresolved paradoxes. My interpretation eliminates those paradoxes, and apparently all without misinterpreting any events. If you have a better way to resolve the paradoxes of backwards time travel, please share. Positing that everything in the Star Trek universe is just a dream is fine (Far Beyond the Stars), but we're assuming that's not the case, and you still haven't gotten remotely close to making sense of backwards time travel or eliminating paradoxes. That's all this conversation is about.

From tvtropes: "What the non-linear aliens in the Bajoran wormhole or the Q must think of all this is probably best left for fan fiction." I'd like to know what you think of that.
The Q have always been shown to experience time linearly in the same way humans do but sometimes have the ability to travel to different points in time. The wormhole aliens are an awful concept, particularly when they've been shown to experience events linearly. When a being beyond time moves from a state of non-understanding to a state of understanding, that's an experience of time in a linear fashion.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll let you think about why this statement is nonsensical. Regardless, I explained earlier how this isn't even the case. I refer you back to my breakdown of the timelines in Yesterday's Enterprise. For those two reasons, it is not a paradox. The only way it is a paradox is if you don't employ a multiple timelines approach.

No, it's only a paradox with multiple timelines. With a single timeline it makes sense that while the enterprise-C is in the future then the war happened, but when it's in the past the war didn't happen. Therefore she died first, the enterprise-C appeared in the future and the universe flipped and now there was a war and she was alive, she decided her death this time should mean something and then Enterprise-C went back and in the future she was dead again. Her reintroduced death in Skin Of Evil wouldn't affect her on Enterprise-C as going back in time is like transporting, she is no longer the same matter.

With a multiple time line universe the Klingon war happened first, and only after the Enterprise-C was sent back did the time line happen where she died and was written out of the series. The paradox is that while the viewer knew that she was going to die and be written out in Skin of Evil, nobody in the Klingon war timeline could know about it as it hadn't happened yet.

You haven't covered that in your breakdown because it would disprove your theory.

Your interpretation necessarily requires that you have unresolved paradoxes. My interpretation eliminates those paradoxes, and apparently all without misinterpreting any events. If you have a better way to resolve the paradoxes of backwards time travel, please share. Positing that everything in the Star Trek universe is just a dream is fine (Far Beyond the Stars), but we're assuming that's not the case, and you still haven't gotten remotely close to making sense of backwards time travel or eliminating paradoxes. That's all this conversation is about.

Your interpretation necessarily requires you to ignore the paradoxes that the multiple timeline creates by ignoring or misinterpreting on screen events. There is no better way to resolve the paradoxes because they were created by writers who didn't (and can't) consider all the implications of backward time travel.

The writers are just too scared of the fans to reboot the entire universe.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's only a paradox with multiple timelines.
Boldly asserting so doesn't demonstrate how.

With a single timeline it makes sense that while the enterprise-C is in the future then the war happened, but when it's in the past the war didn't happen. Therefore she died first, the enterprise-C appeared in the future and the universe flipped and now there was a war and she was alive, she decided her death this time should mean something and then Enterprise-C went back and in the future she was dead again.
It only makes sense if you ignore the paradox, which means it doesn't make sense. If the Enterprise-C were destroyed, then Tasha dies on the planet with the tar monster. If the Enterprise-C isn't destroyed, Tasha Yar goes back in time to fight the Romulans and the Enterprise-C is destroyed. If the Enterprise-C were destroyed, then Tasha dies on the planet with the tar monster. If the Enterprise-C isn't destroyed, Tasha Yar goes back in time to fight the Romulans and the Enterprise-C is destroyed. It's essentially the Grandfather Paradox. A multiple realities approach resolves the paradox.

Without a multiple realities approach or a self-contingency principle, you have a paradox because you can't have Tasha experience A and B. You're arguing that it's past, present, and future. She either does X or she doesn't. If you can resolve the Grandfather Paradox without a multiple realities approach or a self-contingency approach, please share. I understand that no one's asking me to, but if all you're going to do is repeat yourself and argue against strawmen without adding anything new or resolving your paradoxes, then I'm probably not going to continue this conversation.

With a multiple time line universe the Klingon war happened first, and only after the Enterprise-C was sent back did the time line happen where she died and was written out of the series. The paradox is that while the viewer knew that she was going to die and be written out in Skin of Evil, nobody in the Klingon war timeline could know about it as it hadn't happened yet.
Reread my post dealing with the possible breakdowns of timelines in Yesterday's Enterprise. Ignoring the fact that saying "this timeline happened first" is a nonsensical statement, which you apparently didn't figure out when I had you mull over that statement, my breakdowns of the timelines actually show this to be a moot point because it doesn't happen like you're saying I said it did, particularly in my first breakdown. What you're doing is called a strawman fallacy.

Your interpretation necessarily requires you to ignore the paradoxes that the multiple timeline creates
You haven't accurately described a single paradox caused by a multiple timelines approach, nor have you reconciled the paradoxes without that approach.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries