Hardware What's your ideas for a Switch Mini Design?

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've seens some mockups that I think looks stupid and some that looks pretty sweet.
Most of the time they seems to come with some kind of flaw that makes me think Nintendo would not do it. (Like no joycons, that would break a lot of functionality)

My own idea to make a smaller switch that won't break functionality and that would make it better kids.
Make it a clamshell design!

The clamshell design is something that nintendo and nintendo fans are very familiar to.
The lower part would ofcourse be where the joycons go, it's also where you have the battery, the "brains" and all the ports.
And it could act as a more robust stand!
The upper part is screen and speakers.

What's your ideas for what nintendo could do?

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm pretty sure most people will say the same thing: smaller bezels, bigger battery (or battery life in general due to different chip or whatever else).

What I would hate to see is a smaller screen. I feel like the current size is absolutely perfect.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure most people will say the same thing: smaller bezels, bigger battery (or battery life in general due to different chip or whatever else).

What I would hate to see is a smaller screen. I feel like the current size is absolutely perfect.

Well, if they shrunk the bezels the console will be smaller and thats fine. But then comes the problem that the joycons will be too big.
They could solve this by creating smaller joycons. However I don't think Nintendo would do this.
Creating joycons specifically for a different versions of the switch would up the cost and also might create confusion.

I believe nintendo would only go for a solution where they could use the already existing joycons.

A clamshell design would make the system smaller without sacrificing anything.
Heck they would be able to even add a larger and better screen in a more compact format.

Last edited by DaniPoo, , Reason: adding information

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
A clamshell design would make the system smaller without sacrificing anything.
Heck they would be able to even add a larger and better screen in a more compact format.
So basically you're imagining a clamshell design with unattachable joycons?

I honestly think they will just make a "Vita" version of Switch with built in controls that you still can put inside the dock.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I honestly think they will just make a "Vita" version of Switch with built in controls that you still can put inside the dock.

yeah I imagine that you attach the joycons to the bottom part of the clamshell design.

Something like this (But with a much more elegant and functional design):
1f9834366dd45d27efd080c56a9182f0_preview_featured.jpg

That way you can detach them and play tabletop mode and use motion controls for the games that requires them.

How would you play motion control games if you have no joycons?

Last edited by DaniPoo,

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The problem with that is it then becomes incompatible with certain games like those that require the use of joycons unattached.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah I imagine that you attach the joycons to the bottom part of the clamshell design.

Something like this (But with a much more elegant and functional design):
1f9834366dd45d27efd080c56a9182f0_preview_featured.jpg

That way you can detach them and play tabletop mode and use motion controls for the games that requires them.

How would you play motion control games if you have no joycons?
A few problems with that design. First of all, if the joycons are gonna stay the same size, then the screen would also have to stay the same size. Plus you wouldn't be able to dock that thing unless the screen detached from the rest of it. So basically what you're left with is exactly what we already have right now, but it comes with a clam shell grip.

ReDEyeDz

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As much as I want a 3DS Switch version I really doubt that it's possible. They specifically said "more portable" and I don't see how this is more portable with full sized attachable joycons.

DaniPoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with that is it then becomes incompatible with certain games like those that require the use of joycons unattached.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A few problems with that design. First of all, if the joycons are gonna stay the same size, then the screen would also have to stay the same size. Plus you wouldn't be able to dock that thing unless the screen detached from the rest of it. So basically what you're left with is exactly what we already have right now, but it comes with a clam shell grip.

The screen don't have to be the same size. But if it is then the side bezels could be eliminated (this maked the console much less wide)
Then they could move the screen from sitting diagonally in the middle closer to the top edge. (That will leave room for speakers underneath the screen)
Why would you need to dock it in the same dock as the current switch? They coulg go for something more like the 3DS dock.

Last edited by DaniPoo, , Reason: correcting typo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays