Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Uncle FEFL said:
Zetta_x said:
I was mistaken, I thought you knew a little bit about formal logic. Reading your posts and your response to me obviously says you only have common sense. Common sense left open to biased thoughts and obvious flaws.

I regret making a second post, because my attempt to refer to formal logic only made you more confused and almost laughable.
Well, I guess you, and all of your arrogance I suppose, will regret making this third post.

Look, you are the one that does not understand an actual definition of atheism. Therefore, your logic fails in the sense that your comparison between theists and atheists is wrong. Utterly and absolutely wrong.

I do not believe I ever refuted your baby idea. No one would ever argue with that.
Please let the flaming stop and the debate continue.
Zetta X, don't respond. Please.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
It's promise he did after the Iblis incident(santan revolting) to Iblis(Satan). Iblis said humans were weak in every aspect. To prove it, he said he would tempt humans into doing evil. To prove Iblis wrong, God made that promise. He wouldn't force humans to do good neither would he force them to do evil. He would provide guidelines and it would be the humans choice to follow these or not. Those who follow them get a reward, those who don't will share Iblis' fate. That's IIRC.
Most Muslims aren't good Muslims as described in the Qur'an. In the Qur'an it states that women and men are equal in rights and responsibility. Some don't respect that.
You're saying the same things a Muslim user said on another forum I frequent. I can't really argue anything because I have never read the Qur'an...plus I know you're correct because the person I'm talking about quoted the Qur'an in English and Arabic (he was very devout). The Qur'an makes more logical sense than any other holy text.

So I suppose I have two questions to ask: why pray?

Why do you believe?

I think we can start the debate from there.

QUOTENo flaming.
Please don't respond to this Uncle.
Sorry, I would have listened to you. I didn't see this edit, though.
frown.gif

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:
It's promise he did after the Iblis incident(santan revolting) to Iblis(Satan). Iblis said humans were weak in every aspect. To prove it, he said he would tempt humans into doing evil. To prove Iblis wrong, God made that promise. He wouldn't force humans to do good neither would he force them to do evil. He would provide guidelines and it would be the humans choice to follow these or not. Those who follow them get a reward, those who don't will share Iblis' fate. That's IIRC.
Most Muslims aren't good Muslims as described in the Qur'an. In the Qur'an it states that women and men are equal in rights and responsibility. Some don't respect that.
You're saying the same things a Muslim user said on another forum I frequent. I can't really argue anything because I have never read the Qur'an...plus I know you're correct because the person I'm talking about quoted the Qur'an in English and Arabic (he was very devout). The Qur'an makes more logical sense than any other holy text.

So I suppose I have two questions to ask: why pray?

Why do you believe?

I think we can start the debate from there.

QUOTENo flaming.
Please don't respond to this Uncle.
Sorry, I would have listened to you. I didn't see this edit, though.
frown.gif
Why pray: Praying(like the Muslims do five times a day) is a way to connect with God for a brief moment. It is also a way to ensure good hygiene in all the Muslims lifestyles.
Why I believe: I never mentioned I was Muslim did I? I don't really believe in anything. But I research religious scriptures a lot because I find them fascinating.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pyrmon24 said:
Why pray: Praying(like the Muslims do five times a day) is a way to connect with God for a brief moment. It is also a way to ensure good hygiene in all the Muslims lifestyles.
Why I believe: I never mentioned I was Muslim did I? I don't really believe in anything. But I research religious scriptures a lot because I find them fascinating.

Uh...you mind starting us off, then? I'm not sure where to start...

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
DeathStrudel said:
There are plenty of people who do not consider it a religion. A religion is a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being or the outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a God or gods having power over their own destiny to whom obedience, service, and honor are due. So, by that definition, it is not a religion. If you're definition of a religion is different then by all means consider it one. I never said only "posers" say it's a religion, just that they often do. Many other Buddhists I've spoken with do not see it as a religion and so they do not refer to it as such
edit: and btw you are the one that "obviously" knows little about buddhism, I'm guessing you got your info off wikipedia or something
I'm a Buddhist myself, I have my words in this. The quote 'system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being' is in existence in Buddhism. Buddhists texts have stated repeatedly that there are Holy beings that exist, and that the Buddha, during his lifetime, became one himself. Is this not an example of how Buddhism is a religion? Obviously you're not a very profound Buddhist if you don't even know that the religion is there to honour and worship a Holy figure as well.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

Well, the reason a lot of Muslims believe in the Qur'an is because it makes logical sense. And it has scientific facts, unknown at the time of writing, in it, making it a miracle in itself. Maybe we can start from there?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not really anything. I don't believe in a God or anything like. I'm not Athiest either. I'll accept the fact that people believe in God sure, but for some reason it bugs me when a religious person bashes people who don't believe in that stuff.

Like me and my friends were talking about it, and we said "how can someone NOT believe that evolution is a possibility?" And we just spoke about stuff about it and what not.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

Well, the reason a lot of Muslims believe in the Qur'an is because it makes logical sense. And it has scientific facts, unknown at the time of writing, in it, making it a miracle in itself. Maybe we can start from there?
What are some of these so called facts?

Myths of the Quran, which includes the miracle of iron, which has been totally debunked.
http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/avijit/Quran_miracle.htm

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

Myths of the Quran, which includes the miracle of iron, which has been totally debunked.
Very bad site you linked there. Whoever wrote that has no idea what he is talking about and I won't even try to explain how wrong he is. Please note I am NOT Muslim and I'm only here to provide straight facts about Islam, so this isn't a close-minded, biased, religious person talking.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

Very bad site you linked there. Whoever wrote that has no idea what he is talking about and I won't even try to explain how wrong he is. Please note I am NOT Muslim and I'm only here to provide straight facts about Islam, so this isn't a close-minded, biased, religious person talking.
Like most none Muslims, I'm completely ignorant to what scientific facts are contained in the Quran, so can please educate me in some of these scientific facts?

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Prophet said:
Nathan Drake said:
You act as if atheism has a one of a kind meaning for people. I choose atheism, as I have no reason to believe in God or that there even is a God like entity. I don't need it, and the times that I did, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose atheism knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself.

Quick question. What attracts an atheist to a thread titled "Whats your religion"? I mean, if there was a thread titled "Whats your favorite ice cream flavor?" and you didn't like ice cream to begin with, would you enter and be like:

"None. I don't eat ice cream. I choose an ice-cream-less lifestyle as I have no reason to eat ice cream. I don't need it, and the times I did eat ice cream, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose to abstain from ice cream eating, knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself."

Really, who would do that except someone you wanted to inject themselves into the center of a conversation that they have no logical reason to be in to begin with.
Your system of belief is hardly comparable to ice cream. I think we tend to come to the threads and post in them because a lot of atheists are happy to convert people and are generally glad they're atheists. Atheists rarely get a chance to express their lack of beliefs, it's really the same reason that atheist magazines and blogs exist.

That urge to convert people sounds a lot like zealotry, something I'd think atheist would try to avoid. I just feel that religious individuals should be able to hold a conversation online with other religious people without atheist cropping up and steering the conversation into an unproductive debate, that frankly, has been argued ad nauseam. We get it, atheists don't believe in god and would prefer no one else did. Nonetheless, every man is sovereign over his own spirit and as such, free to embrace any faith he so chooses. Go your way and allow others to go their own. You may imagine yourself to be some enlightening force, tasked with revealing the truth to the sheepish God-folk; but I assure you, you are not. As much as it may pain you to hear this, the atheist is superior in no respect to the theist and vice versa. As such, neither is qualified to guide the other. Live and let live.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

Like most none Muslims, I'm completely ignorant to what scientific facts are contained in the Quran, so can please educate me in some of these scientific facts?
I could easily refute all that is in that link you gave. But it is going to take time. So if you are willing to wait a little, I could do it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I can provide my 2 cents about prayer. Church in my opinion is biased. It's a place where you go to listen to a man speak his mind and interpretation on the Bible. The thing is that it's his. Faith is something every individual needs to find for themselves. Whether that be by works, prayer, or some sort of journey to something physical, or spiritual. Some people come out with questions and some people are content. Most however go unchanged. Until they find their faith, they do not truly believe.

The whole point of prayer is to provide one way of achieving this. Some people find that they can feel the holy presence, and some say they can hear it. The people that claim to have seen God are full of shit.

I'm Christian by the way.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Tanas said:
pyrmon24 said:
Uncle FEFL said:
pyrmon24 said:

I could easily refute all that is in that link you gave. But it is going to take time. So if you are willing to wait a little, I could do it.
I'm not asking you to refute them, I'm asking you to let me know what some of these proven scientific facts are.

Edit: And you're also claiming that you could easily refute everything in the link when you have clearly shown your ignorance of what is actually written in the bible.

Here is a quote from you earlier, which proves my point.
"God uses the evil of humans so that we teach each other a lesson and to judge who is a good person and who isn't. God doesn't directly murder or give the order to murder. He watches us foolishly commit murder, even though he told us not to do it."

So if this is your idea of refuting, I'd give up if I were you.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm technically agnostic, but the religion I enjoyed most and made the most sense to me was Pagan (Wiccan-ish)
I liked the concept of "If you're not hurting anybody; go ahead"

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prophet said:
chao1212 said:
Prophet said:
Nathan Drake said:
You act as if atheism has a one of a kind meaning for people. I choose atheism, as I have no reason to believe in God or that there even is a God like entity. I don't need it, and the times that I did, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose atheism knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself.

Quick question. What attracts an atheist to a thread titled "Whats your religion"? I mean, if there was a thread titled "Whats your favorite ice cream flavor?" and you didn't like ice cream to begin with, would you enter and be like:

"None. I don't eat ice cream. I choose an ice-cream-less lifestyle as I have no reason to eat ice cream. I don't need it, and the times I did eat ice cream, nothing came of it. It has never helped me, it never will. I choose to abstain from ice cream eating, knowing that it is the only path for somebody such as myself."

Really, who would do that except someone you wanted to inject themselves into the center of a conversation that they have no logical reason to be in to begin with.
Your system of belief is hardly comparable to ice cream. I think we tend to come to the threads and post in them because a lot of atheists are happy to convert people and are generally glad they're atheists. Atheists rarely get a chance to express their lack of beliefs, it's really the same reason that atheist magazines and blogs exist.

That urge to convert people sounds a lot like zealotry, something I'd think atheist would try to avoid. I just feel that religious individuals should be able to hold a conversation online with other religious people without atheist cropping up and steering the conversation into an unproductive debate, that frankly, has been argued ad nauseam. We get it, atheists don't believe in god and would prefer no one else did. Nonetheless, every man is sovereign over his own spirit and as such, free to embrace any faith he so chooses. Go your way and allow others to go their own. You may imagine yourself to be some enlightening force, tasked with revealing the truth to the sheepish God-folk; but I assure you, you are not. As much as it may pain you to hear this, the atheist is superior in no respect to the theist and vice versa. As such, neither is qualified to guide the other. Live and let live.
That's not true at all. Most couldn't care less what you believe, as long as you're not stuffing it down people's throats. It's the really outspoken and loud ones that ruin it for the rest of us. And before you say anything they have those sorts of people in every religion.
Also: serious question here guys; why is scientology made fun of, but mormonism isn't? They're both as ridiculous as each other. Yet for some reason it seems to be the cool thing to mock people who believe in alien spirits, but when a religion is started by a con-man with equally ridiculous claims it's not?

EDIT: Thanks machomuu, for picking up on that error.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Technically I'm a [non-practicing] Seventh Day Adventist, even though I haven't been baptized at all. And, uh, does every religion thread really need to become tl;dr debate threads? Man, that is childish. Peace, folks.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
That's not true at all. Most could care less what you believe, as long as you're not stuffing it down people's throats. It's the really outspoken and loud ones that ruin it for the rest of us. And before you say anything they have those sorts of people in every religion.
Also: serious question here guys; why is scientology made fun of, but mormonism isn't? They're both as ridiculous as each other. Yet for some reason it seems to be the cool thing to mock people who believe in alien spirits, but when a religion is started by a con-man with equally ridiculous claims it's not?
Off topic: Did you mean "couldn't care less"? I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if you did then it changes the meaning of the whole statement.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Prophet said:
chao1212 said:
Prophet said:
Nathan Drake said:

That's not true at all. Most could care less what you believe, as long as you're not stuffing it down people's throats. It's the really outspoken and loud ones that ruin it for the rest of us. And before you say anything they have those sorts of people in every religion.

Where have you been, dude? Mormonism is Christianity's asshole. ASSHOLE.

Sorry if you're a Mormon, but it's true. You're not as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMP3AK5jwo That woman is completely batshit insane.

And you should know I'm joking. About the Mormons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P