Hacking When was the most recent email response from Team Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware that they sent him a new 3DS XL, but, still; let's look at the math. That's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying even a month's worth of banner advertising.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no offence to devin, but i bought a gateway card without ever reading his review, i had read posts on here, but not specific reviews........idk i always like to see genuine whingey users reactions more than a cool headed reviewer, if i see the worst people are experiencing i can kinda get a worst case scenario, I'm sure many others have a similar train of thought, i never really "trust" reviews..........i want to see what someone who has handed the money over for a device more than someone who got given it for free, I'm not saying devins review is biased, just that not paying for something gives you a more relaxed mindset when it comes to shortcoming, no matter how objective you try to be

basically 1 review wasn't make or break for gateway, they could of had pretty much the same effect by waiting a few days for genuine customers to get the card and say OMG OMG ITZ WORKZ

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I get that. Just, I work in marketing, and I know the game from both sides. ANY publicity that did not appear to be paid-for is worth a hundred times what a sponsored ad is worth. It was a calculated business expense to provide a professional reviewer with a sample of the product, to ensure that there would be buzz about it, especially on as large a site as this.

Even if you didn't read the review, or were not influenced by it (I count myself among those, because I planned on buying a Gateway immediately when it came out), it still carries weight, more than an unreviewed product would.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I never read reviews, especially initial reviews of a brand new product, as of course its gonna be biased, as its something new for the reviewer to get all giddy and excited about, not more of the same old shit reviewed, same shit different name etc..
All beta testers where chosen right at the start before the first update and AFAIK they dont need/want more, they cut the list even more after the first beta sent out leaked within hours... the generic response basically means No, just in different words so you feel a little bit special that you might be chosen

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no offence to devin, but i bought a gateway card without ever reading his review, i had read posts on here, but not specific reviews........idk i always like to see genuine whingey users reactions more than a cool headed reviewer, if i see the worst people are experiencing i can kinda get a worst case scenario, I'm sure many others have a similar train of thought, i never really "trust" reviews..........i want to see what someone who has handed the money over for a device more than someone who got given it for free, I'm not saying devins review is biased, just that not paying for something gives you a more relaxed mindset when it comes to shortcoming, no matter how objective you try to be

basically 1 review wasn't make or break for gateway, they could of had pretty much the same effect by waiting a few days for genuine customers to get the card and say OMG OMG ITZ WORKZ

Except reviews are typically not "free," in the sense of the word, guys. I can tell you guys that much right now, that it is never about free products and loot. Anyone that's in it for the free stuff typically is distinguishable from the crowd that actually wants to genuinely write about things. As a reviewer, the price we pay is a shitload of hours to test and run the cart and all those games. An average review takes me at least two to three dozen hours to get right; it's not a simple slap on article that goes up into the review center in an hour or two's write up. The editing process is often the portion that takes the longest. Becoming a reviewer itself is challenging as well, especially if you plan on becoming reputable. It's a long process that involves building a good reputation over a long period of time, something that is easily taken away. I'm pretty certain Devin and myself were both not overnight successes when it came to reviews. I can also tell you now, there are sometimes reviews where I certainly wish I had bought the thing instead. ;) It's one thing to test things, but it's another thing to test things for a team that is constantly breathing down the neck asking for results. :( Also something to keep in mind. When the reviews were done, there was no bricking incident to worry about. At the time we did the reviews, it "worked" in the way that it should have worked: it provided users an opportunity to play their 3DS games. Cool-headed objective reviews are a hell of a lot better than the stuff that appears on media sites as of late. ._.

The way I see it, reviewing was never about, "WHAO LOOK FREE LOOTZ," it was always more about finding a way to keep a community informed about something. But that's just me, I love writing for the sake of writing. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I did say no offence to Devin, I will extend that to other reviewers, I do understand that it can take quite a bit of work and I'm not trying to detract from that, I'm just saying for example the spi chip errors didn't really come up prior to general release, often companies will make sure review samples work perfect whilst the quality might slip a bit for the general end user, I also know what you mean about companies breathing down your neck when doing reviews

But this is what I mean a reviewers experience is never going to be the same as a end user, I would personally prefer to see 100 people's quick opinions than 1 full length review....I know some people love and appreciate reviews but it's all personal preferences

And I didn't say anything about the bricks I know they where not about at the time of the reviews I'm not trying to say his review was incorrect I have since gave it a read and it's pretty much spot on for the time I'm just saying I like to get a general impression of reliability and build quality from a selection of people not just a single account

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am lucky enough to have been selected to review TWO products for Eachmall, both of which are for sale for less than five bucks. Like Ryukouki said, I plan to put at least a dozen hours into each cart, just for testing purposes, and at least another six apiece for writing the review. That is NOT worth five bucks to me, but if it allows me the opportunity to help other gamers in the community, it's well worth it to me.

Now, will Eachmall be likely to sell more flash carts as the result of my reviews? Almost certainly. That's the POINT; if it's a good cart, then I WANT other people to know about it, so they are as satisfied with their purchase as possible.

I wanted to be involved because I am no coder or programmer, yet I have benefited tremendously from the hard, unpaid work of thousands of other people. I finally have the chance to pay some of it back to the scene, and will take full advantage of that.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did say no offence to Devin, I will extend that to other reviewers, I do understand that it can take quite a bit of work and I'm not trying to detract from that, I'm just saying for example the spi chip errors didn't really come up prior to general release, often companies will make sure review samples work perfect whilst the quality might slip a bit for the general end user, I also know what you mean about companies breathing down your neck when doing reviews

But this is what I mean a reviewers experience is never going to be the same as a end user, I would personally prefer to see 100 people's quick opinions than 1 full length review....I know some people love and appreciate reviews but it's all personal preferences

And I didn't say anything about the bricks I know they where not about at the time of the reviews I'm not trying to say his review was incorrect I have since gave it a read and it's pretty much spot on for the time I'm just saying I like to get a general impression of reliability and build quality from a selection of people not just a single account

You make review products sound like they're golden packages that are mailed to our door with bow ties and fancy packaging, but you're wrong. Review units are supposed to be as close to retail products as humanely possible. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten dud products or poorly packaged goods. Think of my Gateway unit, when I got it the unit was put into a small carrying case, and the box was not even assembled. My DSOnei sample? Box crushed completely. When companies breathe down your neck and ask for perfection, and then you send them the note that the goods were damaged, it's not fun stuff. To say that reviewers get preferential treatment is inaccurate. I can see that some people call special treatment as "overnight shipping" or something like that, but in the end they do so knowing that we can expedite the review process while maintaining a high standard of writing.

Usually, a reviewer's experience is as good as it gets to the end user experience. The only reason you might see it as such is that it's ONE person. The full length reviews are there to basically tell people exactly what something is capable of, something that a regular user might not know how to say in the best manner. That's what we're there for. We know what's going on, we know what to expect, and how to go about saying it. Not to mention, when you go on a forum, there's a lot more people out there with negative experiences than positive ones. The complaints on this forum are far outweighing the people who have had positive experiences and had no need to discuss. In an ideal world, I'd like to see both positive and negative feedback from EVERY SINGLE USER but that's definitely not gonna happen. ;)

I am lucky enough to have been selected to review TWO products for Eachmall, both of which are for sale for less than five bucks. Like Ryukouki said, I plan to put at least a dozen hours into each cart, just for testing purposes, and at least another six apiece for writing the review. That is NOT worth five bucks to me, but if it allows me the opportunity to help other gamers in the community, it's well worth it to me.

Now, will Eachmall be likely to sell more flash carts as the result of my reviews? Almost certainly. That's the POINT; if it's a good cart, then I WANT other people to know about it, so they are as satisfied with their purchase as possible.

I wanted to be involved because I am no coder or programmer, yet I have benefited tremendously from the hard, unpaid work of thousands of other people. I finally have the chance to pay some of it back to the scene, and will take full advantage of that.

Thats a good mindset you've adopted. Price of item in reviewing really has no worth, to be honest. If it's good, say so. If it's not as great as you think, say so. Don't be afraid to tell a community that something sucks, and don't let the reseller bend you over backwards and take you from behind. You are a reviewer and you have your own right to an opinion.

The bolded portion: I completely agree. I can't do C++, I can't do the fancy coding, yet I have enough experience to be able to let teams know what they could possibly improve on, and you're damn right that it's a tremendous benefit as you will notice your writing voice becomes much much stronger over time. Now that I'm in a position of "prestige," so to say, I get to be able to be more actively involved with the gaming industry and it's opened a hell of a lot more doors for me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i kinda feel your missing the point, im not saying anything bad against reviewers, im just saying I prefer to get a "general" picture of how something performs, here's an example imagine the reviewer recives a new 3ds flashcard perfect example is the recent bricking fiasko, now imagine everyone just reads this 1 review where the reviewer had a fantastic experience and had no issues, now imagine 30 other users got bricked, I would personally like to get a clear picture of everything be it good or bad, sometimes a reviewer doesn't experience a really major flaw, this is why i would prefer to see the "whingy" opinions of a big group of people, granted most of them are probably noobs who cant follow instructions, but still its nice to see what issues "might" occur.

I am not saying reviewers don't do anything for the community or that their work is pointless or anything at all like that, i am merely saying I Myself look for the whole picture before i make my purchases....especially the bad side that may not of been an issue with reviewers, granted maybe my opinion of reviews has been slightly skewed by all the BS reviews and crap that are all over the internet, surely you can appreciate that.

let just say i like to do my own research on matters :P

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i kinda feel your missing the point, im not saying anything bad against reviewers, im just saying I prefer to get a "general" picture of how something performs, here's an example imagine the reviewer recives a new 3ds flashcard perfect example is the recent bricking fiasko, now imagine everyone just reads this 1 review where the reviewer had a fantastic experience and had no issues, now imagine 30 other users got bricked, I would personally like to get a clear picture of everything be it good or bad, sometimes a reviewer doesn't experience a really major flaw, this is why i would prefer to see the "whingy" opinions of a big group of people, granted most of them are probably noobs who cant follow instructions, but still its nice to see what issues "might" occur.

I am not saying reviewers don't do anything for the community or that their work is pointless or anything at all like that, i am merely saying I Myself look for the whole picture before i make my purchases....especially the bad side that may not of been an issue with reviewers, granted maybe my opinion of reviews has been slightly skewed by all the BS reviews and crap that are all over the internet, surely you can appreciate that.

let just say i like to do my own research on matters :P

I actually understand your point completely, I mentioned it in the response above, the whole "one person" bit. :) Don't worry, I'm not that slow. :P I do the same myself when I want to purchase something. At the end of the day, we're only there to help. :)

I absolutely hate the way that the media reviews things. It's a quick buck for them, they test the game only like a few hours in most of the time, and place a really poorly written work on the page. Calling A Link Between Worlds GOTY? Ridiculous. :angry: Media reviewing is just PR for publishers, sadly. I'm one of those guys that's REALLY against it. Hell, I could make a small career out of this, but I don't choose to take in any money, despite being offered it, because I know that by taking their cash they have a means to strong arm my writing to their fit. I tried it once on a flash chip review, and they ended up wanting me to write an R4 clone review as a 9/10 for some stupid reason. :( One of the reasons why I absolutely despise scoring items, because it just feels wrong and doesn't match my voice. The number itself is subjective, but the text shouldn't be, and I place my own thoughts at the very end usually in the form of a paragraph, explaining that based on what I have experienced, whether a purchase is granted or not, but that it should not be so for absolutely everyone.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just figurated one thing... The number of compatible 3ds (4.5-) is limitated, and if they have reached this number and the sales are down? Is something to worry about?

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
I just figurated one thing... The number of compatible 3ds (4.5-) is limitated, and if they have reached this number and the sales are down? Is something to worry about?

Not particularly, if they have succeeded in cracking the 6x OFW that will mean any 3ds bought off the shelf of fair game to GW. Which will mean potentially a shed load more sales.

Sandvich1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, this is ridiculous, I'm done with Gateway. Even if they release their new firmware, I'm sticking with competitors. Who knows how long it will be between 2.0 and their next update.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
2 cents here.... I doubt there are many bipartisan sample reviewers, as they arent going to continue to be able to review teams products if they are negative, its not in the teams best interest to keep supplying, i cant remember a review even for a shitty product where they have worded it so the negatives outway the positives, the best reviews come from the people that buy the products and do it for the love of being a reviewer, sample reviewers always come across differently regardless of the amount of time they put in..

tomiga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, this is ridiculous, I'm done with Gateway. Even if they release their new firmware, I'm sticking with competitors. Who knows how long it will be between 2.0 and their next update.

Heh, I've been done with Gateway since MT-Card released their firmware that lets you play retail region-free games. No more use for a flashcart for me because of that, I can happily play all my US games on my Japanese 3DS.

Reactions: C RONALDO

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm also done with Gateway. They are not even answering my e-mails.

Hello, MT-Card.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh, I've been done with Gateway since MT-Card released their firmware that lets you play retail region-free games. No more use for a flashcart for me because of that, I can happily play all my US games on my Japanese 3DS.

Why would you want to do that when you can play any region roms on Gateway card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1