Gaming When will see 3D Netflix movies on the 3DS?

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:

The movies are 2D, though. What he's asking about is when will we see 3D movies through Netflix on the 3DS.

They should totally roll something like that out, though. It would get people on the 3D bandwagon a bit more - 3D TVs, and not to mention all the kit you have to buy to actually start watching movies in 3D, are incredibly expensive.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
muckers said:
Satangel said:

The movies are 2D, though. What he's asking about is when will we see 3D movies through Netflix on the 3DS.

They should totally roll something like that out, though. It would get people on the 3D bandwagon a bit more - 3D TVs, and not to mention all the kit you have to buy to actually start watching movies in 3D, are incredibly expensive.

Oh, sorry, didn't read the title closely enough. Agreed it should happen, but I doubt Netflix hasn't thought of this themselves. Something probably came up making it currently impossible.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not likely anytime soon, according to Joystiq - Just some US form of the "Nintendo Video" app. I can't see Netflix adding 3D content anytime soon, since they would have to pay it for separately, and Nintendo isn't going to pay for it. Not much incentive for Netflix.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Netflix is out on the 3DS, but doesn't have 3D support atm. It will at some point for select movies, but not right now.

QUOTE said:
The new Netflix application for Nintendo 3DS displays movies and TV episodes in 2D on the system’s upper screen. Users will soon have access to an additional library of select movies that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses.
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/n...merica_tomorrow

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
3D support will probably hit the main service (3D televisions are getting popular), then it will eventually hit the 3DS probably not too long after. 3D movies will probably cost extra too. Kind of like getting Blu-Ray movies in the mail with Netflix costs an extra few dollars a month.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, you have to consider the fact that the newer the media, the more expensive it is to get it functioning and to buy and distribute it. It wouldn't surprise me if they asked for about $5 a month for the 3D service on top of what is already being paid.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a small note here, the Netflix app is already in 3D. The Netflix logo when you start it up as well as all the menu screens are in 3D. So technically it does have 3D support, just no content to support yet. My guesstimate though is by the end of the year. I can see them putting it out either near the end of the summer or mid Autumn, then pushing it for the Holiday season in an effort to push sales of 3D equipment for Christmas. "Sure, the 3D equipment may not be cheap, but we can help you even out the costs for those and movies by offering you instant streaming of your favorite 3D movies for only $(money here) a month!"

It would be nice if 3DS owners got an exclusive early access to 3D streamed content though... either way I'm calling by Christmas.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i don't care much about Netflix, as i have little to no chance of getting their current service normally. i just want them to push their so called hollywood partners to start releasing 3D movies in 3DS game carts. this way, there'd be no issues with internet speed, as the game cart will provide enough speed as it is, and there's no limitation on how often or when or how you wanna watch it.

price-wise, it should NEVER go any higher than normal 3DS carts though.

if this happens, i expect the first few movies to support 3D will be the ones appearing. so probably 3D CGI movies.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there really that many 3d movies out there worth watching? And I'm going to sit perfectly still for 2 1/2 hours and use up my entire battery to watch a movie on that small screen? Hm...

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
who knows, when will netflix release 3D for the majority of regular subscriber's without a 3DS? Likely not anytime soon.

edit: and unless your willing to pay more, they just raised the price for their DVD + streaming combo pack, I'm sure 3D would also come at a premium

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i'd pay for Avatar 3D on the 3DS. but IIRC, Nintendo didn't include 20th Century Fox in their announced partner list, so... :/ I hope by the time James Cameron does the sequel and threequel, Nintendo gets them on that list.

but I'd also pay for Legend of the Guardian: Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D on my 3DS (gorgeous, in my opinion). now that i'm pretty sure is very likely, as it was tech-demo'ed along with Tangled and others last year. or whenever it did.

and i also want Wall-E, which is absolutely gorgeous. and One Piece: Strong World. and The Dark Knight Rises. and they should also do a Blackest Night movie, and get it straight to my 3DS. and 3D Sex and Zen. and 3D JAVs. gahaha.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
That isn't anything to go by. All that was is Nintendo saying when they were talking about the 3D video content coming with this update they were talking about the Nintendo Video app and not Netflix like everyone was assuming. But that in no way stated or even hinted that there were no plans to have 3D content in the Netflix app, just that 3D content wouldn't be there right now. And again I say what make an app with 3D elements in the menus and not plan on adding 3D content later. There are quite a few 3D movies, almost every action or animated movie that has come to in the last few years has had a 3D version in theaters, and as tame has progressed more and more of them are also releasing to Bluray with 3D capable versions too. Also Pixar took the time to remaster the first two Toy Story movies in 3D to build up to Toy Story 3's theatrical release, and Disney is remastering Lion Kink in 3D for a theatrical re-release too, so there is not only quite a bit of interest in making new 3D movies, but also taking classics to the 3rd dimension as well. Pretty soon there will be plenty of worth while 3D enhanced movies to make a 3D update worth it, and I'm sure Netflix is already working with someone on a Netflix streaming capable 3D enabled Bluray player/TV while they work out exactly what they need to do to get 3D streamed content ready to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.