• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Where do you think the USA could improve?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,794
  • Replies 83
  • Likes 1
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remove parties
remove lobbying (it's literally just bribery at this point regardless of the original intent)
candidates can't campaign with their own money or donations, they are given a set budget and must use that and only that
veterans need more benefits fucking hell we treat them worse than our fucking homeless
illegal immigrants should work to earn their citizenship. the waiting period shit's dumb. People who are clearly able to work and stimulate the economy should be rewarded for doing so with citizenship. Let people in on trials, and if they just mooch, kick em out.

let commiefornia split into commiefornia and new california.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
remove parties
remove lobbying (it's literally just bribery at this point regardless of the original intent)
candidates can't campaign with their own money or donations, they are given a set budget and must use that and only that
veterans need more benefits fucking hell we treat them worse than our fucking homeless
illegal immigrants should work to earn their citizenship. the waiting period shit's dumb. People who are clearly able to work and stimulate the economy should be rewarded for doing so with citizenship. Let people in on trials, and if they just mooch, kick em out.

let commiefornia split into commiefornia and new california.
I agree with most of this other than "veterans need more benefits fucking hell we treat them worse than our fucking homeless" (I'm taking the "commiefornia" thing as the joke it is), NOT because I don't believe that veterans shouldn't get benefits, but because I think that ALL homeless people should get benefits, which will in turn benefit homeless veterans (which make up a not insignificant portion)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Life isn't fair. Some people are born with everything and some are born into nothing. That really doesn't matter what really matters is class mobility. Example lets say someone is born poor then if this person works hard or is just really luck and ends up in middle class or rich then I see no issue with it. Wealth Inequality is in fact a good thing as it shows how rich a nation is. If everyone had the same amount of money then in that case everyone is poor.
Using 2015 numbers

Nigeria
Real GDP per capita= $4,353

Pakistan
Real GDP per capita=$4,190

Honduras
Real GDP per capita=$4,146

All have same GDP per capita, so all should have similar living standards right? Not really.

Nigeria 80% of population lives in extreme poverty of less then 2 dallar's a day.

Pakistan its 60%

Honduras its 33%

Wealth inequality here for Nigeria is not a good thing. It may show how rich a nation is, but nothing about the well being of its people.
So a more equal wealth distribution is needed.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with most of this other than "veterans need more benefits fucking hell we treat them worse than our fucking homeless" (I'm taking the "commiefornia" thing as the joke it is), NOT because I don't believe that veterans shouldn't get benefits, but because I think that ALL homeless people should get benefits, which will in turn benefit homeless veterans (which make up a not insignificant portion)
Fuck no, veterans deserve more benefits. Homeless do too, but veterans especially. Veterans get shafted with underfunded programs and with the homeless veterans in my state, I'm very passionate about them getting support. Homeless people in general need help, but people who have put their lives on the line to come back to jack fucking shit and a country that barely seems to care about them deserve more, because they've given so fucking much.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Fuck no, veterans deserve more benefits. Homeless do too, but veterans especially. Veterans get shafted with underfunded programs and with the homeless veterans in my state, I'm very passionate about them getting support. Homeless people in general need help, but people who have put their lives on the line to come back to jack fucking shit and a country that barely seems to care about them deserve more, because they've given so fucking much.
It doesn't help that Veterans get labeled as killers and spit on, even vets in wheel chairs get spit on, example the Vietnam war.
There were these to Sailor Vietnam vets that were stabbed by and angry war protester.

Also consider that fact that in past wars their were some that were forced to fight by the draft against their will. Even after they protested the draft.
If you deny the draft then you have a chance of going to jail, and having the reputation of a man who doesn't fight in prison will make you a perfect canididate for prison rape where you can get aids. All this because you refused to fight in a war you don't believe in.

Suicide rates for vets are extremely high. Pick any 1 year, you have more vets committing suicide in 1 year, than have died in combat in Afghanistan in all the years combined. We really don't take care of the vets.

Last edited by SG854,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't help that Veterans get labeled as killers and spit on, even vets in wheel chairs get spit on, example the Vietnam war.
There were these to Sailor Vietnam vets that were stabbed by and angry war protester.

Also consider that fact that in past wars their were some that were forced to fight by the draft against their will. Even after they protested the draft.
If you deny the draft then you have a chance of going to jail, and having the reputation of a man who doesn't fight in prison will make you a perfect canididate for prison rape where you can get aids. All this because you refused to fight in a war you don't believe in.

Suicide rates for vets are extremely high. Pick any 1 year, you have more vets committing suicide in 1 year, than have died in combat in Afghanistan in all the years combined. We really don't take care of the vets.
This is precisely why I will never join the military. I have great respect for those who do, and I think we need to do everything we can to support them when they come home broken and battered, but I could never personally fight a war I do not believe in. Likewise, drafts should never be a thing, as they force people into fighting for wars they don't believe in and break up homes.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
This is precisely why I will never join the military. I have great respect for those who do, and I think we need to do everything we can to support them when they come home broken and battered, but I could never personally fight a war I do not believe in. Likewise, drafts should never be a thing, as they force people into fighting for wars they don't believe in and break up homes.
I actually was thinking of making a political thread about the topic of the draft, and it's unconstitutionality.
Its in violation of the 14th amendments equal protection clause (same amendment that got blacks the right to vote during the civil rights movement) because it discriminates based on gender.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can claim to be a conscientious objector to avoid fighting in the war, but good luck fighting that in court without a religious reason and having the possibility of loosing your job.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
@SG854

Anything unchecked can be twisted to shit like you pointed out. While I use the term "free market" that is kinda of a misnomer as markets do need governments for the very reasons you stated.

@TotalInsanity4

I actually do believe "Wealth Inequality" is in fact a good thing; unless taken to the extreme like SG584 pointed out.

The fear of starvation is a great motivator to do something YES YES it would solve the problem if people looked into themselves to solve their damn problems instead of blaming everyone else. Stop paying losers to be losers.

On divorce, no fault divorce has destroyed the family. 70% of divorces are filed by women. Reason? just fell out of love. If the person is abusive yeah I can agree but that is not the norm.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually was thinking of making a political thread about the topic of the draft, and it's unconstitutionality.
Its in violation of the 14th amendments equal protection clause (same amendment that got blacks the right to vote during the civil rights movement) because it discriminates based on gender.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can claim to be a conscientious objector to avoid fighting in the war, but good luck fighting that in court without a religious reason and having the possibility of loosing your job.
The draft is a really hard topic to handle. On one hand, it breaks up homes and puts people through hell if they actually go to war, but on the other, it creates a safety net for emergency deployments should someone try to invade the US homeland.

There's no real ideal solution. An unmanned military would be open to hacking or EMPs if not properly shielded, a military with no draft at all would leave us understaffed in the event of a serious attack on the United States, and mandated service would just be fucking unreasonable.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually do believe "Wealth Inequality" is in fact a good thing; unless taken to the extreme like SG584 pointed out.
Our country is very quickly entering that reality. Obviously not to the same extreme, but we're getting to the point where the middle class is effectively drying up because there is such a huge divide between the top 1% of earners and full time minimum wage employees.

The fear of starvation is a great motivator to do something YES YES it would solve the problem if people looked into themselves to solve their damn problems instead of blaming everyone else. Stop paying losers to be losers.
Imagine how many more innovative small businesses (or inventors, or well-paid factory workers, or accountants, or people with a college degree, or [insert literally any job a homeless person struggling to get by can't feasibly get] we could have if we removed the barrier of hunger from their daily lives. You should not literally threaten a person with death merely because they were born at or are currently at a disadvantage.
On divorce, no fault divorce has destroyed the family. 70% of divorces are filed by women. Reason? just fell out of love. If the person is abusive yeah I can agree but that is not the norm.
I'd love to see a statistic on the whole "falling out of love" thing

Reactions: CallmeBerto
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our country is very quickly entering that reality. Obviously not to the same extreme, but we're getting to the point where the middle class is effectively drying up because there is such a huge divide between the top 1% of earners and full time minimum wage employees.

Imagine how many more innovative small businesses (or inventors, or well-paid factory workers, or accountants, or people with a college degree, or [insert literally any job a homeless person struggling to get by can't feasibly get] we could have if we removed the barrier of hunger from their daily lives. You should not literally threaten a person with death merely because they were born at or are currently at a disadvantage.

I'd love to see a statistic on the whole "falling out of love" thing
Did you know that 95% of statistics are made up on the spot and the rest are just assumed?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The draft is a really hard topic to handle. On one hand, it breaks up homes and puts people through hell if they actually go to war, but on the other, it creates a safety net for emergency deployments should someone try to invade the US homeland.

There's no real ideal solution. An unmanned military would be open to hacking or EMPs if not properly shielded, a military with no draft at all would leave us understaffed in the event of a serious attack on the United States, and mandated service would just be fucking unreasonable.
That is exactly why its difficult. People are scared for their lives and want safety, so they are willing to send others to battle so that they can feel safe.

Its unfortunate that being born male makes you subject to the draft. And you're placed with a moral dilemma that women don't have to face. Refuse to fight in war and you'll be subject to public criticism, called a pansy, and judged based on your willingness to fight. Just look at Bill Clinton and Dan Quayle, they were judged based on their willingness to fight in war. Something that was not expected of female politicians at the time.

They label vets as Hero's, so they wont feel as bad sending males to war, something that sometimes is necessary, and to cover the pain they have to go through so they wont feel as bad having a need to do this. The word Hero comes from the Greek word Serow, which is where you get words like slave and servant. And thats what essentially a Hero is, to be used as fodder to protect someone else that is more important, instead of that person going into direct combat themselves because they life is more important and we need to keep them alive, or used so that someone else profits at their expense.

Last edited by SG854,

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is exactly why its difficult. People are scared for their lives and want safety, so they are willing to send others to battle so that they can feel safe.

Its unfortunate that being born male makes you subject to the draft. And you're placed with a moral dilemma that women don't have to face. Refuse to fight in war and you'll be subject to public criticism, called a pansy, and judged based on your willingness to fight. Just look at Bill Clinton and Dan Quayle, they were judged based on their willingness to fight in war. Something that was not expected of female politicians at the time.

They label vets as Hero's, so they wont feel as bad sending males to war, something that sometimes is necessary, and to cover the pain they have to go through so they wont feel as bad having a need to do this. The word Hero comes from the Greek word Serow, which is where you get words like slave and servant. And thats what essentially a Hero is, to be used as fodder to protect someone else that is more important, instead of that person going into direct combat themselves because we need to keep them alive, or used so that someone else profits at their expense.
didn't they change that last year or something? I was pretty sure women could be drafted now. eh. It doesn't affect me. I don't think I'm eligible.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't they change that last year or something? I was pretty sure women could be drafted now. eh. It doesn't affect me. I don't think I'm eligible.
I think they did, yeah. IMO that's just stupid to begin with. I'm gonna get flak for saying this but I don't think women should be serving in the military. As awful as it sounds to say that they should be staying at home taking care of the family, it's the truth. A mother figure is important for the household, and as the people who keep the human race populated they should be protected, instead of sent on the line.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E