where should i begin with the 2d metroid games?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TL;DR: It doesn't really matter, but I'd recommend saving the oldest two (NEStroid, Metroid II) and the newest two (Samus Returns, Dread) for later.

Excessively detailed response:
Start with Zero Mission. There are hacks to remove the where-to-go-next guidance.

Play Fusion before Dread, which is its sequel.

I personally would recommend playing Metroid II in some form before Super, so the title screen and ending will make more sense. You have a choice of improvement tweaks - convert it to a GBA ROM with Goomba (not Goomba Color!) and set border=none from the L+R menu to get the world in widescreen (with sprites popping in at the normal boundaries of the screen), or get the colourisation hack from romhacking.net. The fan-made AM2R modernises the game but in making it brighter it loses some of the oppressive atmosphere of being alone on a planet where everything wants to kill you, for the purpose of exterminating an entire species. Samus Returns on 3DS is more different from the original.

I would also recommend the Redux hack for Super, which makes the controls more like the GBA games - L to aim diagonally, hold R to switch to missiles. You can also optionally turn the gravity up to resemble the GBA games, if you don't get on with the OG floaty feel. BSNES-HD (including on Switch with several of the beta versions in RetroArch) supports proper widescreen where enemies don't appear out of nowhere.

I wouldn't bother with NEStroid, but if you want to give it a go with some QoL improvements, there are hacks to add a map, restart with full energy to reduce grinding &c.

Last edited by emcintosh,
Reactions: Xdqwerty

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
TL;DR: It doesn't really matter, but I'd recommend saving the oldest two (NEStroid, Metroid II) and the newest two (Samus Returns, Dread) for later.

Excessively detailed response:
Start with Zero Mission. There are hacks to remove the where-to-go-next guidance.

Play Fusion before Dread, which is its sequel.

I personally would recommend playing Metroid II in some form before Super, so the title screen and ending will make more sense. You have a choice of improvement tweaks - convert it to a GBA ROM with Goomba (not Goomba Color!) and set border=none from the L+R menu to get the world in widescreen (with sprites popping in at the normal boundaries of the screen), or get the colourisation hack from romhacking.net. The fan-made AM2R modernises the game but in making it brighter it loses some of the oppressive atmosphere of being alone on a planet where everything wants to kill you, for the purpose of exterminating an entire species. Samus Returns on 3DS is more different from the original.

I would also recommend the Redux hack for Super, which makes the controls more like the GBA games - L to aim diagonally, hold R to switch to missiles. You can also optionally turn the gravity up to resemble the GBA games, if you don't get on with the OG floaty feel. BSNES-HD (including on Switch with several of the beta versions in RetroArch) supports proper widescreen where enemies don't appear out of nowhere.

I wouldn't bother with NEStroid, but if you want to give it a go with some QoL improvements, there are hacks to add a map, restart with full energy to reduce grinding &c.
should play metroid 2 trough am2r or samus returns?

tomberyx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To get a feeling of the magic Metroid has, you should first play Super Metroid (Snes). Then the two Game Boy Advance games and finally Metroid Prime 1,2,3. When you're done you can start playing the rest of the Metroid games.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Huge Metroid fan right here.
I would personally start with Zero Mission because it's the beginning of the story and also, you know, an extremely good game. I wouldn't recommend starting with the original Metroid on the NES or Metroid 2 on the Game Boy because those two are VERY barebones. Play them later when you have more of an appreciation for the games.

Maybe play the games in the order of the timeline:
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA) => Super Metroid (SNES) => Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) => Metroid Fusion (GBA) => Metroid Dread (Switch)

The three Prime games would go in between Zero Mission and Super Metroid and Other M would go between Super and Samus Returns

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and finally Metroid Prime 1,2,3.
Well he said 2D, though yes they're good games.
I'd start with the GBA games, not Super Metroid since you could easily get lost in it so not that one, definitely not the first Metroid on NES.
*Edit : and definitely use a guide.

Last edited by CoolMe,

tomberyx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course it's up to you what you play, but if you skip Super Metroid then you've done everything wrong that's possible.
Why?
Quite simply, Super Metroid prepares you for more Metroid, or in other words, that's where the addiction starts and forces you to play the rest of the Metroid games.

Reactions: MichiS97

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
should play metroid 2 trough am2r or samus returns?
I tried playing AM2R, but gave up before reaching the end because it felt like it took a lot of gameplay gimmicks from Super Metroid that I just didn't have experience with and I kept feeling like I was doing things the wrong way. I'll try it again sometime.

I did play the original Metroid II, but it's a fairly linear experience. (Unfortunately I still needed a guide to find out where the Varia Suit was hidden. Very sneaky.)

Haven't played Samus Returns yet.

Murazik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
castlevania comes to mind first, you can have fun in it. Hollow Knight is an option, although it can be stifling at the beginning, and even in the middle of the game.

Reactions: CoolMe

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play Metroid 1 & 2 just to get them outta the way cus you're not gonna be incline to beat them if you play the better Metroid games.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CoolMe Exactly its the first so why wouldn't you start from the first? Especially the game that jumpstarted the series.
Being the first in the series has nothing to do with how good it is, or fun it is to play. If someone insists on playing the earlier games first, i'd suggest playing Super Metroid, with a guide & save states (optional, but it'll save you from wasting your time). As it's less confusing, it actually has a "map"..

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being the first in the series has nothing to do with how good it is, or fun it is to play. If someone insists on playing the earlier games first, i'd suggest playing Super Metroid, with a guide & save states (optional, but it'll save you from wasting your time). As it's less confusing, it actually has a "map"..
Ok and? Quality doesn't matter when getting into a franchise.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the heck does that mean..? Why should someone feel obliged to waste time playing a game that's not very good just to "get into a franchise"?
Without Metroid 1 the other Metroid games wouldn't of existed. Also to see how the franchise improved. You rather spoiled someone by telling them to play the better games and ignored the first one, how are they suppose to understand why the other games are better?

Error52

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you wanna do chronological but still dodge playing games that suffer from datedness, Zero Mission -> Samus Returns (or AM2R) -> Super Metroid > Fusion -> Dread.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd start with Zero Mission on GBA, and once you've finished that Samus Returns.
After that ask yourself whether you enjoyed how much the games guided you through the world or if you'd rather have less handholding. If you like the guidance tackle Super Metroid with a basic walkthrough so you don't just slam your head against every wall in the hopes to find the right way. If instead that sounds like a good time then jump in totally blind.
At the very least I would recommend a patch that modernizes the controls in SM, they are terribly clunky these days.

And then as the others have said Fusion and Dread in that order.

The two first games, Metroid and Metroid 2 are really only good as a curiosity to see where everything started. The controls and visuals are very dated and gameplay is very basic. They were good games for their time and I still adore Metroid 2 for it's simplicity, but they're not the shining beacons of gaming bliss people make them out to be. Don't force yourself to play them but check them out if you feel like it.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd begin with either Zero Mission or Super Metroid. Didn't care for Dread at all... way too many annoying QTEs and lost the chill explorational vibe of the earlier games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/5fQHvL6iO5k?si=1qrkapNMcghUj07-