Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

pin

Trophies
XP
Country
Asking for confirmation.

Release of Black 3DS XL: March 22, 2013
Release of FW 4.5: Dec 05, 2012

This would mean Nintendo used an old box and an old firmware.

Sorry ,swap those two around. The silver was suh1022 and the black was suf1035, if that makes sense.

Reactions: kalimero

jimbo11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a Cosmo Black Paper Mario Sticker Star bundle 3DS (not XL), CW 1401xxxxx, copyright 2012 on the box, opened it up and it has Ver 6.2.0-12U.

This means it won't work, correct? I thought everything under CW421xxxxxx was supposed to have <4.5 on it :-/

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Just got a Cosmo Black Super Mario Sticker Star bundle 3DS (not XL), CW 1401xxxxx, copyright 2012 on the box, opened it up and it has Ver 6.2.0-12U.

This means it won't work, correct? I thought everything under CW421xxxxxx was supposed to have <4.5 on it :-/

Nope, won't work. Dates don't mean anything, it's Serial Numbers now.

Where'd you get it from?

jimbo11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From ebay. Box and everything was completely unopened. It's a US model, says "plays Nintendo 3DS games sold for the Americas only"

jimbo11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm not experienced in finding a 4.5 and below 3DS, I got a used one and just asked them to peek at the system settings. Perhaps it was opened and really well re-sealed?

Almost definitely not re-sealed, box showed no signs of opening until I opened it as carefully as I could (which wasn't very carefully because the outer box was hell to get into), and now it definitely looks like it has been opened.

Baffles me however that a bundle which was released in Nov 2012 (that's when the game came out anyway?) and has a low CW number still has software from August 2013 on it...

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got 2 off ebay, an XL and an original
one was 4.0 the other 4.2

THe XL was brand new, sealed in box the other was used and even came with rayman 3d, case, earbuds (these were new :P)

The seller even opened the box(on the xl) for me to verify it really was 4.5 or less

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
The seller even opened the box(on the xl) for me to verify it really was 4.5 or less

You guys buying 3DS's specifically for Gateway should do what this guy did, or buy a used one and ask before purchasing. If you have to bet on something you're buying, you probably shouldn't buy it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You guys buying 3DS's specifically for Gateway should do what this guy did, or buy a used one and ask before purchasing. If you have to bet on something you're buying, you probably shouldn't buy it.
It's just as easy to buy new from any retailer that keeps their consoles on a shelf behind a glass window. Can verify the serial is < SW12XX that way, and most places like Walmart will exchange it or refund it even if it has already been opened, just in case it's somehow later than 4.5 despite the serial.

This is the way to go assuming you have the option available to you. But yeah, if you want to save a few bucks buying it used, most private sellers are willing to check something simple like the firmware version for you.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a Cosmo Black Super Mario Sticker Star bundle 3DS (not XL), CW 1401xxxxx, copyright 2012 on the box, opened it up and it has Ver 6.2.0-12U.

Well that is unfortunate, we've only had one other person report a regular 3DS (Orcastraw) who reported CW421xxxxx x on 4.4.0. We're definitely going to need more data on regular 3DS's if what you say is correct.

Reactions: Huntereb

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

This exactly. I just bought another 3DS off eBay and sent quick messages to sellers who had 3DS' I was interested in. Pretty much everyone was more than happy to quickly check and it saved me a massive headache of hoping the 3DS had 4.5 or lower. It saves the hassle of sweating on what version you'll get and I got a 3DS running 2.0 FW. So don't be afraid to ask.

The first 3DS I got was in EB Games (Retail). It was a pre-owned console and I asked if I could check what the firmware was before buying it. They too were happy to let me check and I got one with 4.2. So unless you're literally buying direct from Nintendo, a lot of people out there will be happy to help, at least to get a sale.

Reactions: Huntereb

piptin

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a WHITE 3DS XL on the first days of 2014.
copyright 2013
serial SEH1153xxxx
firmware 4.5.0-10E

update----------
I risked my luck and went to change it for a black one today, and got lucky.
Black/Black 3DS XL
Copyright 2013
Serial SEF1153xxxx
firmware 4.5.0-10E

Both from Spain.

There were plenty of blue-red-silver/black with 2012 copyright and serial Sxx107 and similar.

Reactions: kalimero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1