Gaming WHICH CONSOLE TO BUY? wii or wiiu?

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Am also asking this to clarify this important point: On the wii U, can you play fully native emulators of wii and gamecube and their games, BECAUSE i have a ps vita which i hacked recently to play psp games and they cant run at native res, they run but with blurry graphics, which means i will have to buy a psp console to play them.
Yeah, I played Final Fantasy CC Echoes of Time last night and my TV said 480p when it went to the game. Some people say that the image quality is better in Wii mode if you set the Wii U to output 480p.

I also own three Wiis, but I only ever use them if I don't have my Wii U. I don't have a GC and I'm not really interested in buying one.

Reactions: zubz19

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you mean that the wiiU actually emulates and plays the GC and wii games even at better quality than on their own console?
The WiiU's processor is almost literally three Wii ones, so it's possible to just disable the extra hardware, make whatever's left run in Wii compatible mode, and there's your more-or-less Wii - no emulation involved, at least in the common meaning of the word applied to gaming

The same is done, albeit in software, by Nintendont to make Wii hardware appear to GC games more or less like a GC console

"even better quality" can mean anything (mostly subjective - accuracy vs convenience) and is a loaded word, so I can't answer that for you :)

Reactions: Traace and zubz19

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I was going to post a long message but I just don't have the energy to do so, I've already mentioned this too many times...

That said, I want to warn you: If you're thinking about spending a considerable amount of your time using Wii level stuff (meaning ANYTHING that is made for Wii, included GC stuff and homebrew), and want a Wii U; just have in mind that Wii U's Wii Mode is pretty damn inferior in comparison to use an actual Wii.

Wii U's Wii Mode scales badly, anything you do in it will suffer from overscan and will look zoomed in, or in simpler words; worse, and if my memory serves me right, the lower resolution you set the system on, the bigger the overscan is. It suffers from chroma shift and there's some f*ckery with colors because Wii U doesn't convert between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 Y'CbCr, which also affects the gamepad and its limited range.

There's more to the differences, like if you care about GameCube games, you also lose access to use real Memory Cards and proper GameCube controllers (and for the same matter, Wii games with GC support), so that's another hit, but the point is, if you want to make serious use of what a Wii can do, you're better off with a real Wii. Will look better, will have the most features, and the less issues.

If you're going for a Wii, be sure to try and get one of the later, full-featured models made around 2010, for a console that consumes less power, heats up less, and also has the 480P Fix by default (which may or may not notice depending on the tv/display you use).

In any case, I recommend you to read a lot around the net and make an informed choice based around that, and I wish you have loads of fun with what you end up choosing.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to post a long message but I just don't have the energy to do so, I've already mentioned this too many times...

That said, I want to warn you: If you're thinking about spending a considerable amount of your time using Wii level stuff (meaning ANYTHING that is made for Wii, included GC stuff and homebrew), and want a Wii U; just have in mind that Wii U's Wii Mode is pretty damn inferior in comparison to use an actual Wii.

Wii U's Wii Mode scales badly, anything you do in it will suffer from overscan and will look zoomed in, or in simpler words; worse, and if my memory serves me right, the lower resolution you set the system on, the bigger the overscan is. It suffers from chroma shift and there's some f*ckery with colors because Wii U doesn't convert between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 Y'CbCr, which also affects the gamepad and its limited range.

There's more to the differences, like if you care about GameCube games, you also lose access to use real Memory Cards and proper GameCube controllers (and for the same matter, Wii games with GC support), so that's another hit, but the point is, if you want to make serious use of what a Wii can do, you're better off with a real Wii. Will look better, will have the most features, and the less issues.

If you're going for a Wii, be sure to try and get one of the later, full-featured models made around 2010, for a console that consumes less power, heats up less, and also has the 480P Fix by default (which may or may not notice depending on the tv/display you use).

In any case, I recommend you to read a lot around the net and make an informed choice based around that, and I wish you have loads of fun with what you end up choosing.

You do realize later models of Wii lost real Gamecube support right? So you wouldn't have that on those either. Only the original model Wiis have true Gamecube support with memory cards and proper Gamecube controller ports.

Reactions: Tarmfot

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Since Wii U can play Wii, the obvious answer is Wii U.

Not so obvious actually.

The Wii is easier to hack.
The retrocompatible one will let you play all the Gamecube games catalog using the best controller ever existed (IMO), without the need for an adaptor for a 4 player enjoyment.
The price for a Wii is dropping everytime, I've seen some selling at $25 USD, and even less.
It has nice emulators of most old consoles, which you can play using the Gamecube controller too.

There's no real reason to get a WiiU instead of a Wii but playing those very limited WiiU games, and even so, you won't be missing that much as there are only a few worth to play.

If playing Wii/Gamecube games on the WiiU gamepad was possible without anything else, well, that would change everything.

Unless there's a way just now? Please prove me wrong, that would make me very happy!

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not so obvious actually.

The retrocompatible one will let you play all the Gamecube games catalog using the best controller ever existed (IMO), without the need for an adaptor for a 4 player enjoyment.
The price for a Wii is dropping everytime, I've seen some selling at $25 USD, and even less.
It has nice emulators of most old consoles, which you can play using the Gamecube controller too.

There's no real reason to get a WiiU instead of a Wii but playing those very limited WiiU games, and even so, you won't be missing that much as there are only a few worth to play.

If playing Wii/Gamecube games on the WiiU gamepad was possible without anything else, well, that would change everything.

Unless there's a way just now? Please prove me wrong, that would make me very happy!

Wii U is easy to hack unless you're a complete moron that can't follow a simple guide, same for vWii. They are no more difficult than hacking an original Wii.

OP said price was not an issue so that's why I didn't include that as a reason, neither should you.

All gamecube games can be played on gamepad when they're injected, only some Wii games can. I would still rather half the Wii games work from Gamepad than none like a Wii.

That is your opinion on Wii U games, not a fact.

I use Hid to Vpad with a Mayflash NS adapter on Wii U and use a Dualshock 3 and it works for Gamecube, Wii U N64 and DS games. I would not want to lose out on that by simply having a Wii. Maybe some don't care. I do.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Yes, there is ;) You can play gamecube games on the Wii gamepad using only the gamepad's controls, no need for extra controllers connected to the wii. Some Wii games support this too.

Of the systems OP already has, I've only hacked the PSP and 3DS, though I wish to get a PS Vita some day. I would say the PSP, Wii U and Wii are about the same difficulty when it comes to softmodding. I don't know about the New 3DS now, but when I modded mine you had to do the whole A9LH and downgrade to some 2.1 firmware or something - All of that was a little bit more difficult/time consuming than the Wii or Wii U. Tbh, most softmodding is similar in difficulty, the next step in difficulty is hardmodding stuff.

So, if you're really good at spotting differences in color and pixels, and you have the TV-setup that makes these differences apparent, then maybe consider the Wii. Seeing that you complained about the PSP games being blurry on your PS Vita, maybe these things actually matter to you. Though, personally I find the difference between DS games on a 3DS vs on a DSi a much bigger one, but it's still not something I feel is a problem. You might be more sensitive to this though. Personally, I think that going into the rabbit hole of looking for the best console revision, doing hardmods on the console to get digital out etc. is something you should consider after you're familiar with the console and have a basis to form an opinion on what looks best, and you actually know that you enjoy the games so much that spending that amount of time on them looking the best they can using the base console is gonna be worth it. At this point, you said that you want to experience these consoles that you hadn't experienced, and imo the people who care about the differences in these picture qualities among the different wii revisions are people who've been gaming on the Gamecube/Wii for years.

In addition, as people have been saying, there are different Wii revisions/versions which for the Wii U isn't the case, unless you count the different storages (as far as I am aware). This makes getting a Wii a bit more work since you have to look for the sellers with the right Wiis etc.. For the Wii U you basically only have to decide if you want black or white. I kinda wish I'd gone for black, but whatever. Btw the internal storage space isn't gonna matter since you'll have to get an external HDD anyways.

If you want any game recommendations, then you're free to ask.

Last edited by Zense,
D

Deleted User

Not so obvious actually.

Hacking the wiiu is nearly as easy as hacking the wii.
wii hacking
step1: find mac
step2:download letterbomb
step3: place sd card
step4: enter message board
step5: profit
wiiu hacking
step1:download homebrew launcher for the sd card and mocha cfw/or haxchi
step2:Enter webrowser
step3:exploit browser
Step4a:install haxchi
step4b: Just use the homebrew launcher as normal
step4c:Use mocha cfw
(A b and c are optional/branching paths)
step5: profit

Last edited by ,
Reactions: eyeliner and zubz19

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I was thinking to get a wiiU because everyone is in favour of the wiiU, But what you have just said now ("wii mode scaling badly"), that said, we know that the wii doesnt have the best graphics, and then with the scaling i suppose it will get worser..THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS, AND NO ONE POINTED THIS OUT!! ill have to decide further... well,... I could then buy a wii at first to play all wii and GC related games, homebrews emu etc etc, then once ive played the hell out of it, then in the future after a year or so buy a wiiU...:unsure:. Or should i get both consoles at once??:unsure: or should i Just buy a wiiU??:O, if i go to get the Wii, then i would have to find and hunt the correct and best version (one of you mentioned to get 2010 version because it does not overheat, then one of you said that this does not have good backward compatibilty), this is a mission in itself..

If i get the wiiU, then i want no compromise in the GC and wii related gameplay wise experience; the graphics and control; nor slowdowns, glitches, blur etc, i want them to play EXACTLY as i would on their original console in their native res and their native control. (a very slight difference in colour should not be a problem, but i hate blur and overscan etc, ), btw thankyou everyone for replying and your advice

Last edited by zubz19,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But what you have just said now ("wii mode scaling badly"), that said, we know that the wii doesnt have the best graphics, and then with the scaling i suppose it will get worser..THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS, AND NO ONE POINTED THIS OUT!!
It's obviously a "try it yourself" factor - I haven't found objectionable myself, and certainly haven't noticed any overscan on a properly adjusted screen!

one of you mentioned to get 2010 version because it does not overheat
Newer Wiis are more power efficient and that includes heat output, but "overheating" is a big word - most Wiis regardless of age haven't got any problem and that includes the controversial fanless wiiconnect24 standby mode (yellow led)

You can have a "new generation" vertical = with gamecube ports out of the factory Wii (all non-white ones and then some), and all horizontal ones are also the high efficiency version (which can have gamecube ports soldered on if you reeeeeally want to)

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd get a wii. There aren't many titles on wii u (especially since the latest smash release) that make it worth it. There are ds vc injections but the screen is very small on those even on a large tv (I have a 50in tv and I have a hard time seeing them still)

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was late to the Wii U party but I love it since I got it and love it more since I have everything on it :yay:

only thing wii games dont look as good as my wii (color and pic even if I set it to 480p) but you can play gamecube games on the gamepad along with emulators/injects

things to note dont try to walk too far away from console with pad or it will lose signal

if you go the wii route get rgb cables makes a huge difference with color & edges

Last edited by Teletron1,
Reactions: SuperDan and zubz19

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WIIU its not really even a question is it ?

well, eventually when i want to play wiiU games ill have to buy that too in the case if i buy a wii at first.

I'd get a wii. There aren't many titles on wii u (especially since the latest smash release) that make it worth it. There are ds vc injections but the screen is very small on those even on a large tv (I have a 50in tv and I have a hard time seeing them still)

[QUOTE=" only thing wii games dont look as good as my wii (color and pic even if I set it to 480p) but you can play gamecube games on the gamepad along with emulators/injects"[/QUOTE]

...thats why, am looking and trying to decide what to get:unsure:, could go get a wii, then later on get also a wiiU; would anyone recommed doing this? (though it could get pricey)

Last edited by zubz19,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You do realize later models of Wii lost real Gamecube support right? So you wouldn't have that on those either. Only the original model Wiis have true Gamecube support with memory cards and proper Gamecube controller ports.

Sigh...

Maybe you didn't catch it, but I explicitly said "fully featured Wii" up there. As in, all the functionality of the original model. I wasn't trying to recommend a Family Edition. I don't know why would I even recommend that when the GC compatibility is an important part for the person asking.

Nintendo still produced Wii's with all the good stuff during late 2010, with bundles such as Red Wii + NSMB Wii or Black Wii with Mario Kart Wii; that's when I got mine, so I know. And those models produced at that date, are by far the best version of the original console.

You don't have the disc reading errors with double layer DVDs that the original models (as in, produced first) had, and as I said, you also get a system that maintains itself cooler and takes less power. You even have better chances of getting a system with less use, which is convenient when buying second hand electronics.

...thats why, am looking and trying to decide what to get:unsure:, could go get a wii, then later on get also a wiiU; would anyone recommed doing this? (though it could get pricey)

I understand that can be a pain to choose. As I said, think of what you're going to do, or want to do the most.

Do you value Wii U's library more? Maybe choose a U.
Do you value more Wii/GC stuff? You're better off with a Wii.

You could start with a Wii, which is cheap, will give you access of hundreds upon hundreds of good games, and any accessory or game you get for it (besides GC stuff) will work with the Wii U, so if for some reason you end up wanting one later on, or find one at a good price you already have them, and you'd have spent time playing games instead of doing nothing waiting for a good offer.

Personally, I've lost my interest on a Wii U, seeing how most of the important games on it are being ported to Switch. Even Tokio Mirage Sessions is going there.

If you go look for a Wii, by the way, just like Ryccardo says, pay attention to the orientation of the Wii logo. If the logo is to be read with the console standing vertically, it is a Wii with GC support. If it's horizontal, it's a Family Edition and it had its GC inputs taken out. Don't get those!

If you go for a Wii U, I'd like to warn you to check that the gamepad is working well and its battery hasn't been worn out; because that's a pretty frustrating point of that system, and good battery replacements are getting rare and expensive.

Reactions: Ryccardo and zubz19

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something else to consider: the Wii U is not compatible with the GBA link cable. Nintendont cannot play games like Pac-Man VS. on a Wii U. If you get an old Wii with GC ports, then those GBA link cable games will work fine.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, that's also true. While it's importance will depend on each individual, it's a function you don't get on Wii U.

I personally still use the GC-GBA Cable a fair amount, between stuff like The Wind Waker, the Sonic Adventure games, and such. There's a decent amount of games that use it, so it may be worth noting.

Oh, and if you're using Nintendont, for the GC-GBA cable to work you must turn on Native controls. My third party cable works perfectly through Nintendont with that setting on.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii can output in 240p, Wii U always outputs in whatever you have it set to in it's config menus. (480i, 480p. 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and whatever that weird foreign res is that NA and JPN systems don't support, 500-something or other.) Depending on you TV/monitor this might not matter (not all modern TVs support 240p anyway.) And unless you're using emulators for older games that support it (including the VC with a certain trick) it's not important.

I pretty much quit using my Wii entirely after getting my Wii U and all I would go back to it for would be 240p support in those emus (my TV does support it). For actual Wii games, I prefer the Wii U upscaling them to HD(720p or higher) over HDMI, the Wii will only support them at SD (480i) or ED (480p) if you have component cables. But it's a personal thing, not everyone will agree, If you're using an old tube TV using composite, you're stuck at SD anyway.

Last edited by tbb043,
Reactions: zubz19 and SuperDan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0