Gaming WHICH CONSOLE TO BUY? wii or wiiu?

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was late to the Wii U party but I love it since I got it and love it more since I have everything on it :yay:

only thing wii games dont look as good as my wii (color and pic even if I set it to 480p) but you can play gamecube games on the gamepad along with emulators/injects

things to note dont try to walk too far away from console with pad or it will lose signal

if you go the wii route get rgb cables makes a huge difference with color & edges
I'm exactly the same as this had my wii U for around 3 years with 1tb fully loaded with emulators GameCube games Wii injects ect ect is really is a Hidden Gem of a Console...

Reactions: zubz19

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is well know that the Wii U playing wii games is not that good as the original console cause the Wii U mess with the aspect ratio of those 480p games, maybe is not that bad but many people say is best to play wii games on the wii, i assume the GC games has the same problem, the problems is this if you alter the aspect ratio you mess with pixel quality, wii and GC games are made for 4:3 if you play those games in widescreen the pixels are stretched and distorted the image quality, the thing with Wii U is even if you configurate the video output to 4:3 there is still some aspect ratio distortion. I'm actually dont have the wii u but soon i´ll buy it and do comparisons. Another thing is that VC games on wii u are too dark, in the wii those games looks better.

Last edited by Draxikor,

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is well know that the Wii U playing wii games is not that good as the original console cause the Wii U mess with the aspect ratio of those 480p games, maybe is not that bad but many people say is best to play wii games on the wii, i assume the GC games has the same problem, the problems is this if you alter the aspect ratio you mess with pixel quality, wii and GC games are made for 4:3 if you play those games in widescreen the pixels are stretched and distorted the image quality, the thing with Wii U is even if you configurate the video output to 4:3 there is still some aspect ratio distortion. I'm actually dont have the wii u but soon i´ll buy it and do comparisons. Another thing is that VC games on wii u are too dark, in the wii those games looks better.

Which wii version/year do you have? and how well do the game cube iso play? And which controllers do you use to play the gamecube games?

Last edited by zubz19,

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@zubz19 I have one of the classic ones with the gc ports and the board revision RVL-CPU-40, and the Gc games plays perfectly, the only "thing" is that some games aren´t compatible with the virtual memory card of nintendont and for those you need to use a real memory card but those games are few.
hMUxwEgl.jpg

D

Deleted User

If you want to try Wii U games get the Wii U. If you don't care about the Wii U games, just get a Wii.

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@zubz19 I have one of the classic ones with the gc ports and the board revision RVL-CPU-40, and the Gc games plays perfectly, the only "thing" is that some games aren´t compatible with the virtual memory card of nintendont and for those you need to use a real memory card but those games are few.
hMUxwEgl.jpg

nice! thats your own wii with GC controller!! Do you mean real GC memory cards will be needed for some GC games to play on the Wii?

Last edited by zubz19,

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@zubz19 No is just random web pic but my wii is the same well my GC controller is purple xd, and yes for a few games you need a real memory card but at least in my case y test about 200 GC games and just two has that issue the one i remember is "Street Racing Syndicate" on this link is the compatibility list of nintendont https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List you can see there what games neeed a real MC

Last edited by Draxikor,

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@zubz19 No is just random web pic but my wii is the same well my GC controller is purple xd, and yes for a few games you need a real memory card but at least in my case y test about 200 GC games and just two has that issue the one i remember is "Street Racing Syndicate" on this link is the compatibility list of nintendont https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List you can see there what games neeed a real MC

right..so this seems to be a disadvantage of a wii:unsure:, so is it somewhat similar in the wiiU? does anyone know if something like this (requires a real memorycard) is also required on the wiiU for the GC games? are all GC games playable on wiiU without need of some external mem, or such

Last edited by zubz19,

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are still thinking about it

3d mario wold is amazing its probably the one game I still play on the system + wind waker hd + twlight princess hd+ nintendoland + wairo +just dance is fun if you have kids

if you dont have a Switch then you also have new super mario ,mario kart (which a lot of people still play online),mario maker, smash bros,splatoon,donkey kong country,bayonetta shovel knight,captain toad

a good 20+ games to play on it plus wii games + adding nintendont you add wireless controls to gamecube games + nes snes gba sms segaG neo good ton of emulators which all could be played on the tablet

so all in all well worth it to get the wii u over just the wii another note once you link a hdd to the wii u its married to the system can't use it with your wii or another wii u

Last edited by Teletron1,
Reactions: Draxikor and zubz19

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@zubz19 Not really a disadvantage i mean those games must be less than the 10% of all GC library, see when i buy my wii i have almost 250 GC games but this last 5 years i was deleting some that i dont like and just keep about 50, i guess this issue with the MC must be the same in wii u cause nintendont is the same app in both systems, but believe me unless the games you want to play is just those that have the issue getting a real MC is somewhat easy.

Last edited by Draxikor,

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are still thinking about it

3d mario wold is amazing its probably the one game I still play on the system + wind waker hd + twlight princess hd+ nintendoland + wairo +just dance is fun if you have kids

if you dont have a Switch then you also have new super mario ,mario kart (which a lot of people still play online),mario maker, smash bros,splatoon,donkey kong country,bayonetta shovel knight,captain toad

a good 20+ games to play on it plus wii games + adding nintendont you add wireless controls to gamecube games + nes snes gba sms segaG neo good to of emulators which all could be played on the tablet

so all in all well worth it to get the wii u over just the wii another note once you link a hdd to the wii u its married to the system can't use it with your wii or another wii u

good advice:) , sorry i didnt understand what did you mean by this: "other note once you link a hdd to the wii u its married to the system can't use it with your wii or another wii u" ??

Last edited by zubz19,

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
good advice:) sorry i didnt understand what did you mean by this: "other note once you link a hdd to the wii u its married to the system can't use it with your wii or another wii u" ??
The wii u makes a unique format for every HDD you connect so even if you try to use that hdd on other wii u it will not work, because it use a special format that is not compatible with wii or even PC

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good advice:) sorry i didnt understand what did you mean by this: "other note once you link a hdd to the wii u its married to the system can't use it with your wii or another wii u" ??

the drive becomes only readable to your wii u can't plug it into a pc or anything else not even another wii u

married drives happened last generation of systems

Reactions: zubz19 and Draxikor

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the hdd is resetted/format, then obviously it should work with other devices?

yes wiping the drive clean will allow you to use it again for whatever purpose

the wii can use 2 formats wbfs which you need software to read on a computer or fat32 which you could freely use the drive like a normal storage device also remember to play games in nintendont the drive needs fat32

Reactions: Draxikor and zubz19

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As far as I know, there's no longer a reason to have a USB device to be formated as "WBFS" to use for the Wii, and Fat32 is the far, far better choice. And even the, a WBFS formated device wouldn't work with GameCube games, which require a Fat32 format with 32kb cluster for optimal results.

By the way, just to make things clear, and because I think is good to point this out for you, zubz19:

A WBFS formatted device is one thing, and a Wii game with the format WBFS is another.
A WBFS formatted device should be avoided because Fat32 is better it all scenarios usually.
A game with WBFS format is a Wii game (only Wii) that had its "garbage" data removed, and it takes less space than the usual 4.7GB that a DVD has.

If it was a good dump of a game (dump = resulting file of copying a game); a WBFS file is perfectly fine and even better than usual ISO because it takes less space which means more games in a device. Oh, and GC games can also have their garbage data taken out, but with a different tool and being a bit more careful, as some games don't run well on Nintendont if they're trimmed.

Wii U locking drives for itself was a pretty disappointing discovery to me back in the day, specially being so simple and convenient with the older and "not-designed-for-it" Wii.

right..so this seems to be a disadvantage of a wii:unsure:, so is it somewhat similar in the wiiU? does anyone know if something like this (requires a real memorycard) is also required on the wiiU for the GC games? are all GC games playable on wiiU without need of some external mem, or such

How could it be a disadvantage of the Wii to be able to use real Memory Cards? That's only a plus, and a pretty big one seeing how there are games you can't save with virtual Memory Cards on Nintendont, and being able to swap memory cards while gaming can have its uses too.

I've personally never used Virtual saving on Nintendont, I've always preferred to use my cards, in fact the only use I gave to that option is saving on a couple of japanese games (because they're incompatible with memory cards formatted for US/EUR games).

While I don't think many people will do it nowadays, I still play GC games with other people, and just needing my card and game to play on someone else's house it's a fair bit more convenient than having to bring the entire system there (useful for games with unlockable stuff). And if your SD/USB device gets corrupted for whatever terrible occurrence, your GC saves would be safe in real cards.

And you can manage the real Memory Cards with a homebrew application named GCMM, which is fantastic and really useful. Even more, a real Memory Card formatted by GCMM will work with Nintendont perfectly and accept save files from both NTSC-US and PAL games. All in all, it just gives you more options and possibilities. It's not a downside at all, it's all benefits.

Specially compared to Wii U, which only has virtual saves. Being realistic, you get the "GameCube bare minimum" stuff with the Wii U.

Besides, Memory Cards for the GC today aren't expensive, and even generic ones work wonders, I have two 128Mb (16 real Megabytes) and that's more space than I will ever need for GC games, even if I had all my saves repeated twice.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're a sucker for old video game "save icons" and such as me, you can even load up a GC BIOS in Nintendont and see your Memory Card saves' files on the Wii as if you were using a GameCube. Pretty charming, even if it's not particularly useful.

Last edited by Maeson,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Virtual memory card support is the same on either console (it's still Nintendont virtualizing them, after all), just that on a WiiU you don't have the option of using a real memory card, and on a horizontal Wii you can add it but it's a fairly big deal, and on a vertical Wii or actual gamecube it's plug and play
(by the way, avoid 1019 block cards if you end up buying one - lower compatibility and some alleged corruption risk if managed with the Wii Menu)

Reactions: zubz19 and Maeson

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If I remember correctly (I'm talking about stuff I read in 2010, so bare with me lol), the problem was found in official GC memories of 64MB / 1019 blocks. People with third party ones such as the MadCatz's MC didn't suffer problems for some reason.

There's still a section on Nintendo's site talking about some of the effects of this specific card.

I personally never got a single issue with my 128MB / 2048 blocks, and I've been using them non stop for around a decade on my Wii (it's a pretty crazy thing to think about... I'm getting old).

Reactions: zubz19 and Draxikor

zubz19

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUESTION: can a wii pro controller work on the wii to play gamecube games? or is a GC controller required? also can the wii pro controller be used on the wiiU to play wii and wiiU games? also vice versa (can a wiiU pro controller be used on the wii to play wii games and GC games?)

Last edited by zubz19,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: yeah