Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[user]weatMod[/user]:
I don't care what people do myself but the second part of your post is the biggest bullshit i have ever read. It's ridiculous what sort of picture you try to draw of hackers and how you try to generalize them.

i didn't generalize them i said a lot of them

i said the 3ds ones do not fall into that category

i think a lot them are probably some sort of savants, maybe low level ones
who are more inclined to mathematics and programming
than having stronger right brain traits

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been waiting to write this rant so it begins now! Why are hackers so against piracy like yellow8 and smea? I see people trying for a N3ds exploit but purposly don't want piracy, but people who make the piracy loader for wii or other consoles get no hate which makes me wonder why don't they release piracy able exploits, hell it could be advertising for people who want a game they see a friend who has a GW playing. Still it seems stupid to not release a exploit (piracy or not) with power for piracy, think of others, if you don't want piracy don't use it for that, what if we want to load backups? Rant over.

Two experienced dev's don't agree with piracy doesn't mean they speak for others in the scene, so don't generalize it as that. If they don't want to support it then they don't have to, why not tweet them and ask them whats the deal? People come and go because this is just a hobby to them.

On the subject of exploits, they found it, so its theres. If someone else found it and announced it than hey no foul play. Its all Nintendos code anyways and if Nintendo knows that they have an issue, a firmware release fixes that exploit and thats game for that exploit. Either way Nintendo will win in the end because of there ability to perform firmware updates.

Reactions: NEP

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two experienced dev's don't agree with piracy doesn't mean they speak for others in the scene, so don't generalize it as that. If they don't want to support it then they don't have to, why not tweet them and ask them whats the deal? People come and go because this is just a hobby to them.

On the subject of exploits, they found it, so its theres. If someone else found it and announced it than hey no foul play. Its all Nintendos code anyways and if Nintendo knows that they have an issue, a firmware release fixes that exploit and thats game for that exploit. Either way Nintendo will win in the end because of there ability to perform firmware updates.

Like how they won on the wii? or??

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Something kinda funny. I come here and there is tones of pirate flaming. I dropped on a Sony hacking site the other day and there was an exploit on vita to improve iso loading, and the first thing that was stated in the OP is "I'm not judging". People here care too much who the 'leader' is and what other people do.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something kinda funny. I come here and there is tones of pirate flaming. I dropped on a Sony hacking site the other day and there was an exploit on vita to improve iso loading, and the first thing that was stated in the OP is "I'm not judging". People here care too much who the 'leader' is and what other people do.

I don't care who the leader is, I don't care about why some are against or with piracy. If they don't want to release something than so be it. Get over it

crea

Trophies
XP
Country
Lesotho
To those thinking piracy will deminish sales: this is only an assumption, an unproven argument.

Many studies about the issue suggest that software piracy will in fact aid the artists, and also the plattforms, instead of doing harm. It is a fallacy to simply "assume" without hard evidence that piracy must hurt sales. Software piracy is not theft, as nothing is stolen, it is duplication of digital content.

I do not want to advertise piracy at all, I understand the market must be kept stable by not allowing digital copies to become the standard. I merely want to suggest informing oneself about any topic before jumping to any conclusions which might be wrong.

ryulejzzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Can someone tell me why the DS was the most sold portable console of the history? We all do know why: R4 and the group of slot-1 flashcard that made the things so simple that a 10 years old child could do the whole process to play the games that he wants without problem and bam! After that you cold see a kid with a ds wherever you look at, not before, before that the ds was well sold, but not like that.

So, would the piracy be that bad for the developers? Come on... People who buys original games continously are not going it no matter what because he likes to collect games or whatever, i, for example, collect pokemon games and i have a sky3ds.

if piracy would be as bad for developers or nintendo itself (however i think nintendo love piracy i think, it sells consoles xD) as you guys are trying to paint it, the book, music and movies industry wouldn't exist, but we all know that is not true, and i too know that those industries are different and bigger but you get my point.

I know that piracy is bad but it's not something that would destroy anything.

bannana2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the truth. hackers are either a. criminals or b. think about computers and systems in a clever way. Anyone who says they can hack and are against piracy are not hacking. They are most likely just jackasses that tell people they can do it but won't for their own reasons. Now, this is bad because a bunch of people were just swayed into believing this person could provide them with free stuff, but nada....This is good for them because they now have justification for their "ethical thinking". People will now pay more attention to them for the right reasons. But in reality, they are just assumed to be assholes in the end.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me why the DS was the most sold portable console of the history? We all do know why: R4 and the group of slot-1 flashcard that made the things so simple that a 10 years old child could do the whole process to play the games that he wants without problem and bam! After that you cold see a kid with a ds wherever you look at, not before, before that the ds was well sold, but not like that.

So, would the piracy be that bad for the developers? Come on... People who buys original games continuously are not going it no matter what because he likes to collect games or whatever, i, for example, collect pokemon games and i have a sky3ds.

if piracy would be as bad for developers or nintendo itself (however i think nintendo love piracy i think, it sells consoles xD) as you guys are trying to paint it, the book, music and movies industry wouldn't exist, but we all know that is not true, and i too know that those industries are different and bigger but you get my point.

I know that piracy is bad but it's not something that would destroy anything.

it's not "piracy" unless you are selling copies for a profit it is FAIR USE
also copyright was never intended to used for the purpose of what is being used for, it's purpose was to prevent plagiarism of trademarks
and content , not sharing content or even selling pirate content

ahh yes the DS it had "piracy" but not even 0.01 % of games were even worth"pirating" or playing at at all

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, it covers all non-profit use. Since I'm not selling the worthless infinite supply files with no collector value I download for money, it's still fair use. The digital market will never be a legitimate market. There's no such thing as autographed mp3s (though I've only downloaded lossless for the past decade, mp3s are for people on dial-up), and files will never have a resale value.
O really??
The law said:
Under U.S. law, section 106 the Copyright Act of 1976 reserves several exclusive rights to the creator of an original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Generally speaking, if another party exercises those rights without the copyright holder’s permission, that party’s actions constitute an infringement on the holder’s copyright, a violation for which the holder can seek redress in a court of law.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't care who the leader is, I don't care about why some are against or with piracy. If they don't want to release something than so be it. Get over it
I don't care if you care. And I'll debate my opinions on piracy on A PIRACY DEBATE THREAD all I want. Get over it. If you don't care about piracy or why people are for or against then gtfo

Reactions: Margen67

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if you care. And I'll debate my opinions on piracy on A PIRACY DEBATE THREAD all I want. Get over it. If you don't care about piracy or why people are for or against then gtfo

You realize you're suppressing his right to speech just as much as you think he's suppressing yours, right?...

Reactions: the_randomizer

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You realize you're suppressing his right to speech just as much as you think he's suppressing yours, right?...
I don't go into threads where I have no concern for its subject, as he stated, and start barking orders getting shitty with a random poster. That's the difference. If he has no opinion on the subject then he clearly has no constructive input. Everyone has been, for the most part, respectful till this point.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you can see, I am from 2008. Around that time and beforehand, GBATemp used to be all about piracy. More or less. Flashcarts and ROMS/homebrews as far as the eye can see. Not sure when the trend started to change, but yeah. This place wasn't so high and mighty as it is now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: They'll tell you to pick up the soap. +2