Homebrew Why are hackers so against piracy?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In 2007, the original DS and the Lite were hacked to the point it could run literally anything if you could:
  1. afford an investment of half the price of a 3DS flashcard (which also worked on every firmware)
  2. be computer literate enough to copy and paste files
yet the platform was supported until at least 2011 (2012 if you consider Black/White 2 as original games, which IMO they should)!
The first DS mode flashcards were much more expensive than the 3DS mode flashcards are. DS-X cost 120€ back then and the other cards were similar (a bit cheaper).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been waiting to write this rant so it begins now! Why are hackers so against piracy like yellow8 and smea? I see people trying for a N3ds exploit but purposly don't want piracy, but people who make the piracy loader for wii or other consoles get no hate which makes me wonder why don't they release piracy able exploits, hell it could be advertising for people who want a game they see a friend who has a GW playing. Still it seems stupid to not release a exploit (piracy or not) with power for piracy, think of others, if you don't want piracy don't use it for that, what if we want to load backups? Rant over.

They have a right to against piracy for some reasons but do not forgot that they might be lying too. They might have download piracy and telling us that they are against it. A lying through the teeth, you know. We might never know. Again, if they are being honest and against piracy then why do they develop it anyway ? Maybe just for a homebrew games. I dont know. As long as they are not lying or lying is remain to be seen.

Reactions: Margen67
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Legal trouble is a valid fear tbh, especially after geohot and the PS3, and especially now with the ESA trying to remove the fair use clause from digital software in the DMCA. Removing fair use from digital software and protection circumvention would make all 3DS hacking illegal because it would technically be bypassing their set restrictions they placed, piracy or no piracy. I definitely wouldn't want to risk legal trouble over something that's just a hobby for myself. :P
If you live anywhere besides the USA or European union, though, those fears are unfounded.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also piracy is already supported, while not free you have the choice to pay a SMALL sum of money for a sky or gateway. Now I know some will say they only want free so if thats the case then just wait it out for a few years for something to be released.

The conclusion I draw from this, is you condone the exsistence of companies that exist for the sole purpose of profiting from piracy? And you would rather perpetuate that basically illegal industry rather than having a free option available to the people who will pirate one way or the other?

ewin00

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i hope nintendo will be more focus on new 3ds exclusive games. so that the old 3ds game can be called as VC

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I really don't understand why this topic keeps coming up. Think about it if the 3ds console is opened up to all then its the end of new games being developed. Nintendo makes money off of their games and this is how they are able to keep support of the system for a few more years. If developers just recklessly opened up their hacks for all then say goodbye to future main titles. If I was a software developer I would rather spend my time on making it for other systems than a widely opened one.

Also piracy is already supported, while not free you have the choice to pay a SMALL sum of money for a sky or gateway. Now I know some will say they only want free so if thats the case then just wait it out for a few years for something to be released.
Never in the history of ever has a console died because of piracy. The original xbox and psp, back when hacking became more widely popular, actually had it sales boosted substantially. I personally bought 6 xbox's as I kept crashing them while experimenting with harddrive replacement and ram upgrades, my cousin bought probably more. I've gone through several psp's. Couldn't tell you the amount of games I purchased for dumping and modding. From what ive seen, I'm sure most emunand/gateway/sky owners here own two or more 3ds's and have purchased the major titles.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never in the history of ever has a console died because of piracy. The original xbox and psp, back when hacking became more widely popular, actually had it sales boosted substantially. I personally bought 6 xbox's as I kept crashing them while experimenting with harddrive replacement and ram upgrades, my cousin bought probably more. I've gone through several psp's. Couldn't tell you the amount of games I purchased for dumping and modding. From what ive seen, I'm sure most emunand/gateway/sky owners here own two or more 3ds's and have purchased the major titles.
This, as a GW owner I do own 2 3ds', own many major titles, but I use GW to play the games I would otherwise not be able to, so people bitching about me getting a GW if I'm butthurt, I have one

Reactions: Margen67

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because each successive generation becomes comprised of more and more brainwashed faggots who buy the RIAA, MPAA, and big media companies lies
and chose to abide by illegally purchased(bribery) "laws"

they have brainwashed people into believing that fair use is "piracy"

so ironic since the very same companies argued the exact opposite in the past
like sony in the betamax case
when they want to sell hardware then "piracy" is ok and it is fair use

but when their antiquated business model changes from majority hardware sales to majority content sales then, oh noes "piracy" ,"piracy" is bad it's not fair use wees musd stob dem ebil birates

https://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/betamax/

they like to keep the "laws"(obtained through bribery"lobbying") deliberately ambiguous so they can always win no matter what, if the "law" is ambiguous then it can always be bent so that the outcome always benefits them , the companies that purchased the "laws" keep them deliberately ambiguous so that they can always have it both ways ,have it interpreted so that the outcome always suits them no matter what the facts are

plus the fact is that a lot hackers are autistic sperglords,they are totally left brain dominant individuals
that is what gives them their gift of genius when it comes to hacking

the problem is that left brain dominant individuals are almost always right brain recessive they are lacking in general common sense and social and communication skills , generally socially inept and than makes them naive to the self serving agenda of contest companies when it comes to them wanting to subvert the idea of copyright and use it for squashing peoples fair use rights

however when it comes to the 3DS scene i think that KSPs' post on the 1st page nailed it , they have their own self serving agenda, and are not socially inept in that respect

these guys are smart and they just want to get paid for their work and i see no problem with that really
i don't mind paying to buy a flashcard i don't mind incentivizing them monetarily for their work
especially in this case ,flashcards have more than delivered on their promises
they have delivered much more than the non financially incentivized 3ds hombrew scene has
money motivates, and it seem to produce better and faster results, perhaps if there was more monetary motivation of the homebrew developers we would be father along in terms of homebrew also

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the difference in buying a used game or pirating the game

Neither of which gets revenue to the companies, then again, nor do used games that are no longer in print (eBay, Amazon, etc). That, and due in part because they think piracy is the be-all-end-all of lost sales and the cause of companies to fail hard.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

• Piracy kills game systems.
    There is no correlation between systems that fail (or succeed) and piracy. Multiple systems have failed terribly without any piracy in their lifetime (Virtual Boy, N-Gage, CD-i), while other systems that had piracy enabled for the majority of their lifetime ended up being some of the top sellers of their generation (PS1, Wii, GBA, DS, etc.)

This holds true for games as well, for example the PS3 was the last console of the 7th generation to be hacked (and patched the hacks quickly and recent models are unhackable), yet it sold many less games than the Wii, which was the first to be hacked (and does not patch hacks quickly, and still has hackable models being sold).
  • Piracy causes job loss.
    Commonly-stated by large corporations, but has no actual backing. In fact a government report (PDF) has looked into many commonly-cited numbers and reports for piracy and found them to have no actual backing, or to consist of outright lies in their references.

In other words, piracy != killing sales or game systems

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
[user]weatMod[/user]:
I don't care what people do myself but the second part of your post is the biggest bullshit i have ever read. It's ridiculous what sort of picture you try to draw of hackers and how you try to generalize them.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not everyone likes piracy, the same that not everyone likes Macdonalds (although the adverts want you to believe that everybody does love Macdonalds).

Whether you're a pirate, hacker or both is up to you.

However someone who announces they have some form of hack and then refuses to release it because of fear of mass piracy is little more than trolling and should be ignored.
There is no point getting annoyed, the same as there is no point getting annoyed that your neighbour won't mow your lawn or wash your car for free.

More importantly, why does anyone think that hackers should be forced to condone piracy?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying a used game, while doing nothing for the developers, supports the establishment from which the game was purchased.

Er....you do realize that both MS and Sony were trying to take an attempt at effectively killing the used game market for this reason, before they got ridiculous lashback from the community? To them, buying used is no different than pirating (at least with pirates, there's a chance that the game will eventually be bought new, if bought used, that chance basically goes out the window). Buying used does nothing to support many retailers, so this argument doesn't really hold weight...

Reactions: Nightwish

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Er....you do realize that both MS and Sony were trying to take an attempt at effectively killing the used game market for this reason, before they got ridiculous lashback from the community? To them, buying used is no different than pirating (at least with pirates, there's a chance that the game will eventually be bought new, if bought used, that chance basically goes out the window). Buying used does nothing to support many retailers, so this argument doesn't really hold weight...

Piracy and used games be damned, I buy whatever I want, new or used, so screw that.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what that has to do with the question asked or the answer I provided, but neat?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point being, if the game publishers had their way, the "establishment that would be supported", would be dead in the water, and the only way to buy a game would be brand new. In their eyes, buying used is no different than piracy...they just have no legal recourse for people buying used games.

Piracy and used games be damned, I buy whatever I want, new or used, so screw that.

That's cool, until the industry puts checks in place (like they were attempting to do) that prevent you from doing so...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm good, how r u
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm good, how r u