Homebrew Why cant we just use the safe mode update

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably because only Sony knows how to make those?
Kind of correct - even if we could put together an unofficial update file, those kinds of things are signed by Sony, which isn't something that can really be faked. Without a signature, the OS wouldn't accept the update.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Kind of correct - even if we could put together an unofficial update file, those kinds of things are signed by Sony, which isn't something that can really be faked. Without a signature, the OS wouldn't accept the update.
Somehow I forgot that signing was a thing. I just kinda meant the way it was packaged in general; Even if we can make CFW, we still probably can't make a vaild binary UPDATE.PUPS, let alone sign it.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so this might sound dumb, so don't post comments like "Oh my god...". Why cant we just make UPDATE.PUP'S for CFW on ps4, and then update using safe mode?
If its were that simple then it would already have been done ages ago. Sony did NOT repeat the mistakes they made on the PS3 security when they designed the PS4.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, just wondering why that wouldn't work. Thanks.
you need for that firmware to be signed using private keys which "only" Sony had and no one else.

this is not you usual PC that can install your own OS kind of scenario here, PS4 will only run software that is officially made by them, not by someone.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

ParrotDEV

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well it could be possible to modify a PS4 9.00 firmware with a Version-Variable exploit (which im developing and shouled be unpatchable) that tells it that it's the latest version to force it to update trough safe-mode, im still figuring it out but that should be possible... i have dono some progress but i might have to deompile the HEX becouse you can open it through HxD Editor

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Kinda like the good 'ol days of Ps3 where All phat launch models could be loaded with "signed" CFW.

Some early slim models also had this vulnerability, no such luck on super-slims.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well it could be possible to modify a PS4 9.00 firmware with a Version-Variable exploit (which im developing and shouled be unpatchable) that tells it that it's the latest version to force it to update trough safe-mode, im still figuring it out but that should be possible... i have dono some progress but i might have to deompile the HEX becouse you can open it through HxD Editor
Hmm, I’m skeptical that this is achievable.

I look forward to seeing what you produce without keys.

ParrotDEV

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

theoretically you don't even need to sign it becouse it is already signed
Post automatically merged:

it works by tricking the console to think that its a new version and so it updates, however i think i need to modify the files on the HDD since it probably does a check with the latest firmware version PUP

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theoretically you don't even need to sign it becouse it is already signed
Post automatically merged:

it works by tricking the console to think that its a new version and so it updates, however i think i need to modify the files on the HDD since it probably does a check with the latest firmware version PUP
I don't think you understand how the console works at all, but I'll bite.

Hard drive is encrypted with key(s) we don't have, and even if there was a way to get them, how do you propose a method to obtain them without homebrew or even an exploit in the first place?

Firmware check isn't on the hard drive. Try again.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Partitions
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Files_on_the_PS4

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ParrotDEV are you for real?

Using HXD alone won’t hack a console, what you’re saying sounds familiar to something I saw and blocked on Twitter this morning… which was pure clickbait and absolute garbage with their “facts”.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la