Why Does Switch tell me I only have 1GB left in SD card when I should have 20 GB leftover ?

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On 128 micro SD (Sandisk) I have games installed on SD cards that should total in size *counting all update and DLCs included* about 90 GB and only have atmos, DBI installer, emuiibo goldleaf and Edizon homebrew on it. Yet when I run MTP responder from DBI and check for empty space it informs me only 1 GB is available. I tried testing this by copying over a file bigger than 1 GB and the system instantly refuse telling me its lacking in space so obviously this isn't some kind of faulty storage calculation.

I noticed in "installed games" directory it told me the storage in use was about 117 GB and when I looked inside I noticed that there seems to be duped NSP file outside of a game folder that is exactly the same in size as the NSP inside game title folder. For example, there's about 11 GB NSP in Xenoblade folder and another 11GB NSP outside Xenoblade folder. This doesn't make any sense because this is the same for every game I have installed on SD card and if so it should use up about (90x2 = 180) GB.

It annoys me that the games are taking up more space than they should and I'm not exactly willing to buy bigger micro SD card right now.

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have micro SD reader and tbh I'm scared of breaking the one in Switch, I heard this component gets worn down easily and could become unusable if you keep pulling out the card so I'm leaving it in there until I absolutely have no choice.

might help identifying large (or collections of small) files.
I already know the size of each files, what I don't understand is why they don't logically add up to be 90-100 GB like they should.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have micro SD reader and tbh I'm scared of breaking the one in Switch, I heard this component gets worn down easily and could become unusable if you keep pulling out the card so I'm leaving it in there until I absolutely have no choice.

You can add up the size of your installed content, also check if you have NAND backup on the SD.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use UMS inside Hekate to share your SDCard out over USB…your Switch is a giant SDCard reader!

1672259458555.jpeg

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I check if I have NAND backup on SD ? And if I do how do I remove it ?

What's the repercussion of removing NAND backup in SD?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about the switch, but you can check rednand on a wiiu sd card by going into disk management. it should show up as unallocated memory.

Crowla33R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use UMS inside Hekate to share your SDCard out over USB…your Switch is a giant SDCard reader!
How is this different from using MTP responder to check? And loading up Hekate would mean I have to use the jig and RCM loader,no ? Wouldn't that be more inconvenient?
You backup the files on to a computer or external drive. It is not meant to be stored on SD card long term anyway.
So how do I remove the backup on micro SD if I have it ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is this different from using MTP responder to check? And loading up Hekate would mean I have to use the jig and RCM loader,no ? Wouldn't that be more inconvenient?

So how do I remove the backup on micro SD if I have it ?

Just copy and paste it to a different storage location like external drive, or on computer's c drive.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MTP is a protocol. It gives a presentation of the SDCard. This actually mounts it like an SDCard reader so you can use regular Windows tools to fix your issue. You can reboot to payload, so no need for jig and injector.

Bottom Line: Trying to get you around “can’t” and get you to where you “can” do what @Hayato213 is suggesting.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
128gb isn't actually 128gb. It's more like 120gb or less. All memory is like this it's annoying. So there's possibly some lost storage there.

My 1 terabyte Xbox only has like 880gb usable

As for the mtp installed folders showing a folder of x size and also a separate .nsp of the same size also it's not doubled I think that's just how it displays. If you delete one you also delete the other. I noticed that too.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128gb isn't actually 128gb. It's more like 120gb or less. All memory is like this it's annoying. So there's possibly some lost storage there.

As for the mtp installed folders showing a folder of x size and also a separate .nsp of the same size also it's not doubled I think that's just how it displays. If you delete one you also delete the other. I noticed that too.
that sounds kinda low. I think my 1TB are around 953. some devices, like the ps3, ps4, even the ps5 use some data for a vflash, which is flash files on the hdd, so they'll naturally be even lower. I think the ps5's m2 is adound 750-800, and you get less than 700 to work with, which pretty much sucks since ps5 games are not played from the disc nor an external hdd, m2 only.
Post automatically merged:

btw, I've heard that's supposedly why emunand works with Nintendo consoles. both xbox and playstation save multiple partitions on the hdd/ssd/m2.

Reactions: Hayato213

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
that sounds kinda low. I think my 1TB are around 953. some devices, like the ps3, ps4, even the ps5 use some data for a vflash, which is flash files on the hdd, so they'll naturally be even lower. I think the ps5's m2 is adound 750-800, and you get less than 700 to work with, which pretty much sucks since ps5 games are not played from the disc nor an external hdd, m2 only.
Post automatically merged:

btw, I've heard that's supposedly why emunand works with Nintendo consoles. both xbox and playstation save multiple partitions on the hdd/ssd/m2.

The 1TB SSD is actually like 960 or something then the Xbox OS takes about 50-60gb of that on top too. So it works out to like 880gb is actually yours.

>1TB my ass

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 1TB SSD is actually like 960 or something then the Xbox OS takes about 50-60gb of that on top too. So it works out to like 880gb is actually yours.

>1TB my ass
yeah, it does suck balls. I know some people have been successful with emunand and one partition on the ps3 and the vita, but it doesn't function correctly, and that kinda defeats the purpose. the series x has like 20 partitions and the ps4 has around 15 or so. no idea on the ps5, but I think it's less than the ps4 as they've probably streamlined things.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OP already stated it is 117GB and that was correct so they know about the actual available of space.

Reactions: BigOnYa

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

I already know the size of each files, what I don't understand is why they don't logically add up to be 90-100 GB like they should.
connect to the PC using Hekate's UMS, reboot, go to NYX, select Tools, USB Tools and SD card.

you also have to take on account your RAW hidden EmuNAND partition.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country

Noteworthy that storage media manufacturers calculate capacity in powers of 10 (they even print that on the back so no one sues them for false advertising). Windows however uses power of 2 for the same units. Kilobytes, megabytes ect. It's a mess because of these 2 standards for the same units. If you use power of 10 for your calculation you will find that the total raw capacity is as advertised. Then the filesystem and OS take some of that away. Nothing we can do about that.

This is also why KiB, MiB ect. are better because there is no ambiguity.

Reactions: impeeza

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On 128 micro SD (Sandisk) I have games installed on SD cards that should total in size *counting all update and DLCs included* about 90 GB and only have atmos, DBI installer, emuiibo goldleaf and Edizon homebrew on it. Yet when I run MTP responder from DBI and check for empty space it informs me only 1 GB is available. I tried testing this by copying over a file bigger than 1 GB and the system instantly refuse telling me its lacking in space so obviously this isn't some kind of faulty storage calculation.

I noticed in "installed games" directory it told me the storage in use was about 117 GB and when I looked inside I noticed that there seems to be duped NSP file outside of a game folder that is exactly the same in size as the NSP inside game title folder. For example, there's about 11 GB NSP in Xenoblade folder and another 11GB NSP outside Xenoblade folder. This doesn't make any sense because this is the same for every game I have installed on SD card and if so it should use up about (90x2 = 180) GB.

It annoys me that the games are taking up more space than they should and I'm not exactly willing to buy bigger micro SD card right now.
fake card? you can buy cards of any size from the internet and they are all the same price cause there are all tiny cards hacked to show you a bigger size, once you use up that tiny storage it will fail

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +1