Why is there no way to install DSiWare?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
When I borrowed someone's DSi (now returned to original owner), I was an idiot and accidentally deleted Flipnote Studio from it. The DSi Shop was already closed and it didn't appear in redownloads.

So I homebrewed it and installed TWM++ & Unlaunch (no brick, thankfully).

Afaik, the only way to install DSiWare outside of TWM++ and to the normal DSi menu is some sort of app (forgot the name of it).
Problem is, while Flipnote Studio played in TWM++ just fine, when I went to the app, selected the file & installed it, it displayed "Installed successfully" however there were zero traces of Flipnote Studio on the DSi menu. No matter how many times I installed, it was still only available via TWM++.

Note that I do not have the DSi in question anymore, but has anyone since fixed this thing? How could I put flipnote studio on the home menu without the borrower (which knows nothing at all about homebrew) needing to either use the camera exploit or a button combo to launch TWM++? I would also like to be able to then uninstall homebrew and bring it back to the state the DSi was originally in.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you used TMFH? TMFH only does hiyaCFW's SDNAND, it requires hiyaCFW installed and simply deals with files on the SD card.

Now, as Rocket Robz mentioned, there's NTM as well which is a fork that lets you install to SysNAND as well. See the guide on its wiki for how to use it.

Assuming you use a legit TMD when installing it'll work fine without Unlaunch, just if you intend to uninstall Unlaunch you'll actually want to do that first as the recommended way to uninstall is to flash a NAND backup using Safe NAND Manager, which will also undo any DSiWare installs.

If you don't want a severe of a brick risk you can also simply reinstall Unlaunch with "Launcher Patches" disabled in TWiLight Menu++ settings (assuming they're on currently) then set "NO BUTTON" to "Launcher" in Unlaunch options and it'll be effectively identical to stock but still have most of the safety benefits of having Unlaunch.

Reactions: Tarmfot and banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...