Gaming Why Was the 3DS Expected to Do So Well So Early?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thela_kid said:
and didn't get a price cut of nearly 100 dollars so early after it's release

i dont even get why the price drop is something negative now...
sony cut the price for their vita long before its even out. and to a point, where further price drops would realy hurt them
they cut it to a price, where they loose money when they sell their vitas, while nintendo is only now doing the same sony did for years.
now, after years of making a profit from the very first moment, they accept a small loss. and you could argue, that even now, they still could go lower and laugh off the losses

i totally agree that there have been problems with the launch and that, from todays point of view, people were expecting more games and better and faster eshops. they dont care if ds had a similar low count of games in the beginning

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
thela_kid said:

sony cut the price for their vita long before its even out. and to a point, where further price drops would realy hurt them
they cut it to a price, where they loose money when they sell their vitas, while nintendo is only now doing the same sony did for years.
now, after years of making a profit from the very first moment, they accept a small loss. and you could argue, that even now, they still could go lower and laugh off the losses

i totally agree that there have been problems with the launch and that, from todays point of view, people were expecting more games and better and faster eshops. they dont care if ds had a similar low count of games in the beginning
Actually, Sony stated that they could be selling the Vita at a profit. So Sony is gaining money off of every purchase while Nintendo is losing it.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DroRox said:
I just really think nintendo shouldn't have led us all to believe they were releasing all the games shown at E3 last year with the 3DS. I honestly thought at least half of those would have been made available at launch. But no apparently it was in the span of 2011-2012. The hype nintendo caused wasn't fullfilled in the eyes of the expectant fans. That was their mistake.

As for me I'm pretty content with my PES 2011 and Street Fighter 4 3D. And when I get back to the states Ocarina of Time should last me a while at most.

Nintendo showed peeks at a variety of AAA titles at press & trade shows prior to launch and you thought a bunch of them would be released on the launch date??? That's wasn't Nintendo misleading anyone .. it was just your wishful thinking. If Nintendo did that they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot. Most people only buy one or two titles at most when they buy a new system. If Nintendo released 6 AAA games at launch, they'd all sell very poorly compared to their potential, and 3rd parties wouldn't even come out to play because they'd know their crap wouldn't sell at all against Nintendo's best. Haven't you ever been in a store and heard a mom tell her kid, "But you already got one game for your birthday, and now you want another one?? You'll have to wait till Christmas."

Nintendo didn't 'cause' any unreasonable hype. They showed off their next gen handheld, and showed what it could do. Most, if not all, of the 1st party AAA titles they showed off prior to launch are going to be released in the first year. Sounds like a proper PR campaign to me. The 'hype' was on the internet, whipped up by jr. high "gamers" between fap sessions over how this new 3D system was gonna usher in the dang future and give 'em a 3D BJ at the same time. Then it turns out to be a non-miracuolus handheld gaming device with some cool advances over the last generation, with a couple good titles and the usual ho-hum stuff from some 3rd party developers. In other words, reality, not hyped fantasies.

Saw this happen with the Wii too. People need to figure out that the future will never quite live up to our dreams. No matter how nifty the technology gets, farts will still stink and corporations will still need to make money to justify going to the trouble of being in business.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Clydefrosch said:
thela_kid said:

Actually, Sony stated that they could be selling the Vita at a profit. So Sony is gaining money off of every purchase while Nintendo is losing it.
The 3DS costs barely over $100 to produce. Nintendo was simply trying to squeeze too much profit from the 3DS hardware, which hurt the system early on. They would've been better off putting more money into making the hardware better, or launching it at a cheaper price from the start. I can guarantee that the Vita's margin of profit is significantly less, based soley on how much more expensive it's components and tech are than the 3DS. The Vita is an excellent value at $250, and I'll probably get one, but Nintendo has way more room to adjust the 3DS price before it starts losing money.

Neku_Sakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.Well the I believe the Largest amount of 3ds owners are the "kids" (New to the whole 3ds thing or also ambassadors.) Leaving Gbatemp to be the "older sibling"(expierenced) that beats the shit out of the "kids".

2.With all the great new features and the exciting E3 Presentation the "Kids" got excited believing it would be a instant hit.

3.The "Kids" didn't realise that massive $250 Price tag would scare off potential buyers. This Means that until the price drops the The "Ambassadors" are pretty much the only owners/fans for the 3ds

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Cuz Nintendo really thinks that glasses-free 3D would appeal to everyone. For now there's no official public glasses-free 3D TV yet (and even if there is it's going to cost $XXXX) and they think that oh, at only $250 you can already enjoy the experience.

That's my view.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So far the 3DS sold 4.32 million units worldwide, that's circa 1,10 million units per month.

The DS sold 146,42 between the release date (December 2004) and March 2011. That's 1,92 million per month.

Failure? I don't think so. It barely started off on the market and it already has sales similar to the DS.

Where are you getting your data from? After the price drop, the 3DS will *boom* like crazy.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
dsfanatic5 said:
The 3DS costs barely over $100 to produce. Nintendo was simply trying to squeeze too much profit from the 3DS hardware, which hurt the system early on. They would've been better off putting more money into making the hardware better, or launching it at a cheaper price from the start. I can guarantee that the Vita's margin of profit is significantly less, based soley on how much more expensive it's components and tech are than the 3DS. The Vita is an excellent value at $250, and I'll probably get one, but Nintendo has way more room to adjust the 3DS price before it starts losing money.

that is, if you ignore developing costs, advertising, probably manufacturing, and of course the software thats already on the thing and everything else that goes beyond the pure price of the components... which is of course true for every technical gadget.

and you should know very well that what you get for the price isnt really what counts. why do you think 50-100$ discount tablet pcs sell so well, even though they're hardly usable as more than txt reader, image viewer and light browsing? its because 250 is actually a pretty high price these days.

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Aug 2 2011, 08:08 PM) Actually, Sony stated that they could be selling the Vita at a profit. So Sony is gaining money off of every purchase while Nintendo is losing it.

they could try, yes, but they dont. and they know that if they try, it will only backfire. they confirmed selling the vita at a loss, to a point where they believe that it would take about 3 years until they actually make a profit (meaning cost of development, advertising, packaging, whatever else and the loss they make with hardware sales) with the vita.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Vita will be selling at a loss on purpose, that's why it seems that its a much better value. The 3DS marketing scheme assumed that it will be sold at a profit per console, Sony's strategy is to loose on consoles but profit on games. Do recall the exact same situation happening with the PS3.

Sure, you can manufacture a 3DS for a $100, but can you also teleport it to the store and wrap it in fairy dust, cause making boxes, shipping and making adverts costs aswell, and if there are plenty fancy 3DS-related first party adverts, both for the console and the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Very accurate.