Hacking Why would anyone want a Gateway instead of a Sky3DS or CFW?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Gateway back before CFW and I agree it's not nearly as useful now but hey I guess that is progress. Maybe they will surprise us with A9LH support and some other unique features like their cheat search. My advice would be to hold off on buying one for now and see what develops, but if you already have one, don't sell it off yet!

Frieren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What do the Gateway flashcarts do that CFW and Sky3DS flashcart users don't have access to or an alternative of?
Rom editing. Gateway have 100% compability with edited roms — undub/fan translated games/etc. While cfw is nothing more than a pain in ass. I have a lot bugreports says that my undubs don't work or work incorrectly with all this cfw stuff. And not only my edited roms work incorrectly with cfw. Fan translation of Labyrinth no Kanata have a lot of problem with cfw too, for example.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rom editing. Gateway have 100% compability with edited roms — undub/fan translated games/etc. While cfw is nothing more than a pain in ass. I have a lot bugreports says that my undubs don't work or work incorrectly with all this cfw stuff. And not only my edited roms work incorrectly with cfw. Fan translation of Labyrinth no Kanata have a lot of problem with cfw too, for example.
I guess until there is some sort of way for CFW to run .3DS files, it will always be this way? :S

Frieren

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I guess until there is some sort of way for CFW to run .3DS files, it will always be this way? :S
Cfw have problems with modified roms in .cia format. Modified roms in .cia format that are works perfectly fine with gateway. Support .3ds can fix some problems, but not all of them.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
it take a shitload of time to install a cia, it take 5min to modify your header ith one of your games's and copy it to the µSD card...

Free... No headers... No hardware required...

Yeah, I'll let my system sit closed for a bit while it installs a cia so I don't have to deal with GW... The trade off is more than fair.

Jonne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Usually installing CIAs takes just a couple of minutes for me. I don't know what I do different to you, but I use FBI on a New 3DS XL with a 32GB SD.
I'm not saying its faster than inserting a Header (I own a Sky3ds too), but I would estimate it's the same, at least for me.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Free... No headers... No hardware required...

Yeah, I'll let my system sit closed for a bit while it installs a cia so I don't have to deal with GW... The trade off is more than fair.
I paid my gateway 40€ with a 16gb µSD card, price of a 3DS game in france, i use it to store de few game i play "not usualy" and install games in my emunand if i play them more often, i got like more than 15 games i paid (physicaly i mean) and so i dumped the headers of MK7 and ACNL, it took me 2min to understand why, how and to make it so to play a game it take me... 5min ? take it, patch it, copy it and play, plus, i don't have to deal with the shitty WLAN of the 3DS... i Know the CFW side, i use it, i use RXtools to play my GBA games and other stuffs, but saying CIA are not THAT bothering than .3DS/.3DZ are lies, especially if you add the fact that you have to convert the game if you can't find the CIA directly, and that, is more than annoying and boring...

You can say "But THEM are theives, and THESES are copy, and THAT one is an imitator!", but it would be bad faith to say that gateway is not the best ergonomic way to enjoy fully your 3DS...

Reactions: cvskid

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway was the only way to play 3DS roms awhile back. Now that there's free CFW I wouldn't go out and buy a gateway again if mine broke. I already have one so I might as well use it. Plus drag and drop without having to install games is pretty nice.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I paid my gateway 40€ with a 16gb µSD card, price of a 3DS game in france, i use it to store de few game i play "not usualy" and install games in my emunand if i play them more often, i got like more than 15 games i paid (physicaly i mean) and so i dumped the headers of MK7 and ACNL, it took me 2min to understand why, how and to make it so to play a game it take me... 5min ? take it, patch it, copy it and play, plus, i don't have to deal with the shitty WLAN of the 3DS... i Know the CFW side, i use it, i use RXtools to play my GBA games and other stuffs, but saying CIA are not THAT bothering than .3DS/.3DZ are lies, especially if you add the fact that you have to convert the game if you can't find the CIA directly, and that, is more than annoying and boring...

You can say "But THEM are theives, and THESES are copy, and THAT one is an imitator!", but it would be bad faith to say that gateway is not the best ergonomic way to enjoy fully your 3DS...

Definitely not ergonomic. >>

...and no, saying that CIA files aren't a problem is NOT a lie. If taking 2 minutes to do something is a problem for you, then that's your problem. Not to mention, you are paying to support piracy. Kind of backwards thought don't you think?

Like I said before, I'll take installing CIA files over headers any day of the year. You don't agree? That's fine, you do you.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Gateway is great for cheats. That's all I've been using mine for in the last few months (Badge Arcade mostly) but now I've switched to a9lh I can't use it anymore :-( I hope Gateway come up with a a9lh launcher soon.

I wish they could also make an installer from the red cart - since switching to a9lh NASA/Houston seems to have stopped working and taking the SD card out is getting to be a pain. If I could put the .cias on the SD in the red cart and install them from there that would be way better.

Reactions: samiam144

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got my Gateway from the first batch released(Way before CFW was a thing) and I still use it, there is no need for CFW or anything else.

Also, anyone who says installing a CIA takes 5 minutes is a liar or has no concept of time, I have a class 10 SD card and it takes around 10 minutes to install a small game and anything up to 30 minutes for the larger ones.

Last edited by xBleedingSoulx,

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my Gateway from the first batch released(Way before CFW was a thing) and I still use it, there is no need for CFW or anything else.

Also, anyone who says installing a CIA takes 5 minutes is a liar or has no concept of time, I have a class 10 SD card and it takes around 10 minutes to install a small game and anything up to 30 minutes for the larger ones.
The 3ds has UHS support. You do know that, right?
Plus even if it is class 10, it can still be shit quality.

Last edited by seijinshu,

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3ds has UHS support. You do know that, right?
Plus even if it is class 10, it can still be shit quality.

Well, Class 10 and UHS 1 have the same overall transfer rate, UHS 3 is around 3x as fast and a lot more expensive. Why would anyone pay the extra money for a UHS 3 just to install CIA files a tiny bit faster?

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Class 10 and UHS 1 have the same overall transfer rate, UHS 3 is around 3x as fast and a lot more expensive. Why would anyone pay the extra money for a UHS 3 just to install CIA files a tiny bit faster?
Well... UHS-3 is really nice. I have no benefit of a flashcart, the speed is nice. UHS-3 is worth it. For the extra cost, it comes with excellent benefits for the slight extra cost.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
People are apparently willing to spend $90 on a Gateway card to avoid installing games at all.

Reactions: Garou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe