Hacking Why would anyone want a Gateway instead of a Sky3DS or CFW?

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sky3ds is the way to go. Since you'll probably end up needing cubic ninja or oot at some point!
Nope. Browserhax always worked fine for me since I never "accidentally updated" my consoles, even that time when I launched the eShop on emuNAND and landed on eShop on sysNAND with a popup saying "you must update", which is the only case I'd accept as a valid one to "accidentally update".

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Browserhax always worked fine for me since I never "accidentally updated" my consoles, even that time when I launched the eShop on emuNAND and landed on eShop on sysNAND with a popup saying "you must update", which is the only case I'd accept as a valid one to "accidentally update".
Browserhax doesn't work on 10.6/10.7. You need oot3ds or cubic ninja.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Browserhax doesn't work on 10.6/10.7. You need oot3ds or cubic ninja.
For now until that broken ass WebKit gets exploited again, hopefully when the 3ds gets discontinued we have a browserhax exploit or something along those lines ready to go so that the 3ds gets "hacked for life" for anyone that wants in the future without any game. Like the wii with letterbomb

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW works fine, but you NEED to patch AGB_FIRM or you can't play GBA games.

No, it doesn't. It won't launch gba. it won't launch dsi. it won't even launch the installed .cia's, and none are even attempting to detect or read from the red card for .3ds games.

So at this point, why the hell did I just waste so much aggravation for a thing that doesn't work?

bwahahahahaha. Neither of you have a clue what you're doing. That is all.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bwahahahahaha. Neither of you have a clue what you're doing. That is all.
Well, care to enlighten us beyond your snark? Since so far, CFW path has been confusing as all get out, with a bunch of jargon that was not around, even when I first purchased my Gateway 3DS, that's still working flawlessly for me in every other respect.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, care to enlighten us beyond your snark? Since so far, CFW path has been confusing as all get out, with a bunch of jargon that was not around, even when I first purchased my Gateway 3DS, that's still working flawlessly for me in every other respect.
most any CFW will run DSiware/GBA stuff from sysnand. Many will let you launch via emunand, if you install it to both. Reboothax interferes with it, especially after some versions of CFW tweaked it for running games that need more ram, such as MH4 and such.

Basically, GW is the only thing that WON'T run GBA/DSiWare. It's just that many CFW options need you to use sysnand (pretty much every CFW has a sysnand option). If you are trying some hax/homebrew/injected roms, then rather than research 20 tutorials and CFW threads, you're better off installing a pre-patched agb_firm and twl_firm from within sysnand. Then run those things from sysnand. There are tutorials that will tell you which specific versions of CFW will run them directly from emunand if your nands are linked (but... not really... it just seems that way) or otherwise will run them on unlinked nands if you install them to both sysnand and emunand.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: astronautlevel

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Gateway was the first 3DS flashcart, and the first real piracy-enabler for the 3DS, but since Gateway team takes forever to release ANYTHING, custom firmwares have superseded it by far. Even a rival flash cart, the Sky3DS has it's own role, emulating 1:1 carts (and bypassing newer AP protections).

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway was the first 3DS flashcart, and the first real piracy-enabler for the 3DS, but since Gateway team takes forever to release ANYTHING, custom firmwares have superseded it by far. Even a rival flash cart, the Sky3DS has it's own role, emulating 1:1 carts (and bypassing newer AP protections).
Not without buying a new one. As far as I know, pre-dual button Skys will NOT run dumps of games with the newest AP protection. A blue button is fine for Cubic Ninja, but it won't run the latest first party games AFAIK.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only the newer revisions though. Essentially, Sky3DS decided to instead sell a newer version than to use firmware to fix whatever might have prevented the original edition(s) from working.

At least to its credit, the Gateway has yet to have a problem that needed to be solved with a "#.1" version of the same hardware, while Sky3DS seems quick to follow the R4/cheap chinese clone path.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe