Hardware Why you should get a PSP now.

gbands

Trophies
XP
Country
Borrowed a psp2000 from my guy last year for BBS, tried it, didn't really like it and settled that I may never like any other KH other than 2. So it's been stuck in my drawer until I decided to actually try emulating GB/C/A and some PSX. Now addicted to some classic gaming. And maybe it's just me but I find it pleasant in the eyes when I play GBA games in full screen.

I'm still stuck with gen 5.50 gen d3 and I was thinking of upgrading to the latest firmware. What's the best CFW out there right now? So far I haven't had problems finding games patched for all CFW that's why I'm not really in a rush to upgrade, but it would still be nice to be up to date.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, I was thinking about this - although I have a Dingoo for emulation and generally don't agree with Sony's approach to handheld gaming, there's a few games like Corpse Party, Half Minute Hero and Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost I'd like to give a go. My local rerto shop has a PSP on the shelf for £25. Are there any models I should go for or avoid, or is it just a case of picking one up and then looking for how to hack it?

EDIT: How about this one - listed as not working because it won't read UMDs, but obviously that's not a problem ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-1003-wont-read-umds-read-description-/221082263413?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3379879f75

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I was thinking about this - although I have a Dingoo for emulation and generally don't agree with Sony's approach to handheld gaming, there's a few games like Corpse Party, Half Minute Hero and Ultimate Ghouls and Ghost I'd like to give a go. My local rerto shop has a PSP on the shelf for £25. Are there any models I should go for or avoid, or is it just a case of picking one up and then looking for how to hack it?

EDIT: How about this one - listed as not working because it won't read UMDs, but obviously that's not a problem ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-1003-wont-read-umds-read-description-/221082263413?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3379879f75
The 1000 is the oldest series, it's the fat one, and the official batteries tend to be dying by now (and due to the age, a lot of the units themselves aren't in the best condition). In addition the 1000 has half the NAND and RAM of the later models, and while that doesn't affect retail PSP games, it does cut you off of some homebrew/emulation speed/features.

So the choice people make is generally between the 2000/3000 (which have relatively minor hacking differences nowadays), and the Go. People like the 2000/3000 for the full size and ability yo use Memory Sticks and UMDs, while others like the Go for it's 16GB of built-in storage and smaller form-factor.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Great, thanks for the help. Might try and win this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-2000-Piano-Black-Handheld-System-Faulty-/320950921879?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item4aba2a6a97

Which again has a faulty UMD drive so should be cheaper. Only problem is, I don't have any way of knowing if it's the 'early' or 'late' 2000 motherboard so I guess my hacking options may be limited.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Great, thanks for the help. Might try and win this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PSP-2000-Piano-Black-Handheld-System-Faulty-/320950921879?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item4aba2a6a97

Which again has a faulty UMD drive so should be cheaper. Only problem is, I don't have any way of knowing if it's the 'early' or 'late' 2000 motherboard so I guess my hacking options may be limited.
The new custom firmwares were built from the ground-up, they don't have the limits of older ones. Any 2K model is fully hackable now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The new custom firmwares were built from the ground-up, they don't have the limits of older ones.
Does this mean PSP Gos are now fully hackable without limitations?
The later 2K models, 3K models, and the Go still have these limitations.
1 - Cannot modify the bootloader.
2 - Cannot use pandora to unbrick.

As for the first you don't need a modified bootloader to have a "full" hack anymore, as 6.20 has an exploit that can be used for an automatic hacked startup, and PSPs can be software downgraded to 6.20 now. As for the second it's still a concern, but the new firmwares are more cautious about bricks since they can be installed on later models that can't be home-fixed, so as long as you don't go around disabling the flash0 protection or ignoring other warnings you'll be fine.

So yes, the Go can have a permanent hack set up and can run ISOs of all the games it was previously unable to play, and all that shit.

So there's actually a little bit of demand for them now, for portable piracy and emulation. XD

Reactions: 1 person

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I was able to download the OFW 6.60 for the Go and the Pro-C installer from filetrip here. using its search, however, I cannot find the Pro-B9 at all. Seems my google-fu is failing on me. :(
It's all one entry (PRO CFW) with various versions, there's a menu in filetrip on the right-hand side to select a version other than "latest" for whatever download you're looking at.
I'm trying, but I can't find it anywhere on there. The link at the main page ONLY lists 6.60 Pro-C.

*EDIT*

I had to do a bit more searching, but I finally found the 6.20 Pro-B9. So, do I just put these at the root of the Go's storage? When extracted, I got /620PRO_Permanent/ , /FastRecovery/ , /PROUPDATE/, /sdk/, and a credit text file.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You put the folders containing EBOOT.PBP (so yes, the PROUPDATE folders and such) inside /PSP/GAME/ (since the installers and such are homebrew). PROUPDATE is the main CFW installer, while the _PERMANENT one is the patch, so run the _PERMANENT homebrew first to uninstall the permanent patch, then run PROUPDATE to uninstall the main CFW. Then after that run the PROUPDATE of PRO-C to install the CFW, then run the new _PERMANENT to make the hack automatic.

While theoretically you should just be able to do an uninstall+reinstall with the main PROUPDATE file (and it tends to work), there has been a mismatch issue before and you don't want to risk a brick with a Go.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You put the folders containing EBOOT.PBP (so yes, the PROUPDATE folders and such) inside /PSP/GAME/ (since the installers and such are homebrew). PROUPDATE is the main CFW installer, while the _PERMANENT one is the patch, so run the _PERMANENT homebrew first to uninstall the permanent patch, then run PROUPDATE to uninstall the main CFW. Then after that run the PROUPDATE of PRO-C to install the CFW, then run the new _PERMANENT to make the hack automatic.

While theoretically you should just be able to do an uninstall+reinstall with the main PROUPDATE file (and it tends to work), there has been a mismatch issue before and you don't want to risk a brick with a Go.
Thanks for the info; I thought I had to update to OFW 6.60 first before I install Pro-C?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PRO-C has a 6.20 version as well, and that's the one that can be permanent on any PSP model, so it's what you'll want.

The difference between 6.20 and 6.60 isn't that much. Sony made a big version jump (from 6.39 to 6.60) for really minor stuff ("behind the scenes features", such as patching one exploit).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any games I should worry about that would need 6.60? I was just stunned that I was still able to log into PSN on the PSP, given how anal-rententive Sony is with regard to the PS3.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PRO-C has a 6.20 version as well, and that's the one that can be permanent on any PSP model, so it's what you'll want.

The difference between 6.20 and 6.60 isn't that much. Sony made a big version jump (from 6.39 to 6.60) for really minor stuff ("behind the scenes features", such as patching one exploit).
Well, if I want to do it... just so I understand correctly... the steps would be like this for the PSP Go I have...
  • Run _permanent_ to uninstall bootloader one
  • Run update to uninstall CFW; this should return me to stock 6.20
  • Update to 6.60 OFW (get it from Sony?)
  • Copy/install 6.60 ProC update
  • copy/install 6.60 ProC permanent
Is that right?

**EDIT**

Well, I got to steps 1 and 2 correct... and given what you said, I decided to stick with 6.20.

Running the ProC update, Hold down L button, but I don't see anything really progressing. I Hold L and then press X, and it reboots to showing ProC. I then hit the install bootloader and everything appears to be fine. THen I restart and it seems it's back on standard 6.20. Uh, what?

Crimson Ghoul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PSP Go at the same time I bought my psvita. I needed to stock up on gaming supplies for my free time at school (4 hours between my 4th and 5th class)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Are there any games I should worry about that would need 6.60? I was just stunned that I was still able to log into PSN on the PSP, given how anal-rententive Sony is with regard to the PS3.
I haven't seen any games that require 6.60 explicitly (most just ask for the version number, which is faked).

The PSP is hacked to hell. People can even fakesign homebrew to run on OFW. I think Sony gave up at this point. I'm expecting one, maybe two more firmware updates, and likely just for Vita transfer or some crap.

Well, if I want to do it... just so I understand correctly... the steps would be like this for the PSP Go I have...
  • Run _permanent_ to uninstall bootloader one
  • Run update to uninstall CFW; this should return me to stock 6.20
  • Update to 6.60 OFW (get it from Sony?)
  • Copy/install 6.60 ProC update
  • copy/install 6.60 ProC permanent
Is that right?
For another PSP it would be, but not for the Go. You cannot use 6.60 perm on anything past earlier 2000 models, so you'd stop at the second-to-last step and be using a temp CFW.

That's why the guide presents 6.20 as the common target, and includes downgrade instructions.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just tried it again, and this time shut down the PSP from the ProC menu, to start it up fresh... now, it is showing that it is appropriately modified. *whistle* that's a relief. :)

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Spotted a good deal on a red 3003 with a faulty UMD drive. Is this likely to be fully hackable? Obviously I don't know what firmware it will be on as it's used - the 'start here' guide suggests that if it's on 6.61 or above I'll only be able to use the half-byte loader, is that still relevant? What kind of restrictions would that give me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok