Wii #2760 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Europe)

manuel1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
great game but, how do I change the camera position?
Its like a Beta Cam, its going trough walls and is not always at a good position etc...the only way to change it was for me to press Z.

Well ...I think you know the answer .....There's no other way, as far as I know...

They probably didn't used the smart camera from latest 3D mario games cause in zelda, a more personal control of the camera is important ...but , who knows ...the camera in SS is not my favorite either.

seriously, thats really a big flaw, Im wondering why it was not pointed in any of the reviews...

lizard81288

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US version was leaked like a week ago. Oddly, I'm not that far into it, just 3 hours or so. I don't play as much as I did (since like 5 years ag or so). I mostly listen to music now. Anyway, here is what I think about it so far:

I have play almost 3 hours of it, so here is what I think about it. It is BORING. This is the most boring Zelda game I have played. 3 Hours into the game, & NO dungeon. You just get a sub one, but you more or less, just walk through it, no puzzles or anything. There is just so much talking.
Atleast the game is funny though, infact, it is the most funny Zelda game I can think of. The new characters seem cool too. Plus they really tease you during on cutscene with Link and Zelda, then it turns out to be funny, lol.

As for the gameplay, the 3 hours I played was, Link, go here, find this cat, talk to Zelda, go back to the school, talk to people at the school, look for said item, talk to more people. holy cow. It doesn't help you run across the map now.

Link also can run now, but he has a poopy meter though. Link walks just like he does in the older games, so you don't really need to run to get to places. The run meter is for Prince of Persia tricks, running up walls and stuff.

Wiimotion plus doesn't add a whole lot, infact,it is kind of annoying. Unlike older games, where there is a calibrate option, the game says it does it automatically, however, it is impossible to tell, because it never says recalibrating. The courser seems to wig out at times as if it was jammed, moving towards the right (in my case). As for the sword play, it is ok I guess. If you want to be precis, you'll have to move slowly.

Speaking of the wiimote, motion controls seem to be forced. Like flying and diving you have to twist and turn the wiimote, which is annoying. The sky diving part took me like 10 trys before i figured out how to control link.

Flying is even worse. You have to fly like a bird. Seems weird, since you ride a big bird, but it isn't like riding a horse. You have to move it like a bird, plus you have to use the wiimote only, so twisting and turning your wrist is the only way to control it. As I was talking about the bird mechanics, you have to dive down, then fly upwards, like a normal bird. It doesn't seem bad until you play it. As you are flying nicely, your bird will spazz out, flapping its wings and coming to a crawl. So you constantly have to dive down to get speed, and then up to gain altitude. Most of the time, the going up part doesn't work, since you have to be going perfectly up for it to know that, most of the time, it will kill your speed, but you have enough flap power for now. You'll constantly be doing this too, so It takes away from flying. If you press 'A' your bird has a speed boost, much like the horse. However, it doesn't substitute for the bird flying mechanic, you still have to dip down and up.

The graphics look nice though, much sharper too than in TP. Although, the king has Usopp eyes, lol. anyway, yeah. Thats what I think about the game so far.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does this only support 16:9? I somehow can't get it to run in 4:3, which would be nice, considering I ahve 4:3 TV.
Can anybody say if it's just me or the game really doesn't support it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good review, lizard :P

here's mine:

I'm also disappointed by the motion+, but I wasn't really hopping something great.
It's decalibrating too often, like on any other WiiM+ games I've played.
Maybe because I'm using a Motion+ addon instead of a Wiimote+?

The worst part is with the butterfly net, I don't understand how it can reverse 180°, its movement are not reproducing the wiimote.
The sword is often not in the correct direction, pointing upward while I'm pointing the TV, it's VERY bad that they are using only WiiM+ and not a combo of pointing/WM+

Like you said, it's a lot of "go there, do this", and less actions, but it's the new zelda's feeling since N64 : Boring game starts.
Also, when you talk to someone by error .... HAAA it's so slow, you can't skip/speed the chat :(

Graphically, it's alright. very colorful (maybe too many), but it's more cartoonish than realist, so it match the game correctly.
The camera is also alright, even if sometime I wish I could move it manually.
Though, there are lot of clipping effect everywhere on the ground :(
Textures are not very detailed, they are using a mosaic effect to hide the un-detailed blurry textures.

Only the motion censor is bad: you need to recenter a lot of time, because when you select an item you are not on the center anymore:
press C, you have 4 circles to choose around the center, select one, the selection disappear and it use your current position as the center for the "look around" but you are not at the center of the screen anymore if you just selected an item on the edge of the screen!
It's really bad :(
Each time you select an item you have to recalibrate/recenter.
It's in those situations that I would have like a pointing censor to detect if you are correctly pointing the screen.

My progress:
-----------
I've completed the first dungeon and opened the second path in clouds.
I completed all the "trophies" so far from the talking stone (sheikah), except the bug catching. (the net is a hell to use)

I did more missions than the stone is giving, like helping the town's monster. (I brought him 10 reward's jewel: 5 found in town by night, and 5 for helping the mother)
Now I have more people asking for help.

I've found 5 heart's parts, and restored 2 cubes.
I'll go to the second world now.

Hint for the first boss:
Move your sword in circle instead of hitting until he stop following it ;)

For users asking about the update partition:
Either use WiiBrickBlockr (or WUM), either use an USBLoader.
Even if you buy the original to support Nintendo, you can play from USB (faster access, no update required).

JossyHadash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK... I'm using the SUSHI version of this game... but... it's suppose to be MULTI6... but
How can you change the language?

I can't find options anywhere!!!!

Review here - no spoilers inside but oh well... just to be sure

Also...
I played for almost 2.5 hours now... despite not being able to do much but press A and watch the cinema which is a bit boring.... the motion control is super akward... i mean really... the position u have to hold the wiimote to roll items such as bombs and pumpkins is really unnatural... and then... you are asked to reply and it asks you to point at the screen??? how stupid. Also, in the menu i need to shake my wiimote to get to the next page? COME ON... I try 3 times only then it works.... AND... the motion control really doesn't respond as fast as I want.. Ther'es a delay and sometimes doesn't even work at all... It's quite a disappointment so far this game... Hope it gets better though. The camera is annoying too --- you can only press Z to look forward and sometimes it doesn't work. Why do I need to shake my nunchuck to make a roll? Srsly... I wish I could play this with a gamecube controller...

So... can anybody help me where to find OPTIONS and where I can change the language?? Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not an option in the game, you can change the language in your Wii setting.

If you are using an USBloader, You can change the language from the loader's setting because there's no AntiPiracy check on game patches.
I just try to put it in english and it's working.

JossyHadash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not an option in the game, you can change the language in your Wii setting.

If you are using an USBloader, You can change the language from the loader's setting because there's no AntiPiracy check on game patches.
I just try to put it in english and it's working.

wow that sucks... my wife is dutch and wants to play it in dutch and I'm american.... So we have to change the wii settings the whole time. Guess we found another flaw... So what language will it pick if I choose "Norwegian" in my Wii settings? How does it know whether I would prefer German or English in that case???

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you use an USBloader, it's a lot easier to change the language.
You don't need to go to Wii menu>settings>language each time.

in usbloaderGX it's right before launchng the game, setting>loader>language>german or dutch, save and launch the game.
There are still steps required, but it's a lot faster.

USBloaderGX has a "dutch" option for game language.

Homebrew are better than official (more user's preferences oriented) ;)

JossyHadash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use an USBloader, it's a lot easier to change the language.
You don't need to go to Wii menu>settings>language each time.

in usbloaderGX it's right before launchng the game, setting>loader>language>german or dutch, save and launch the game.
There are still steps required, but it's a lot faster.

USBloaderGX has a "dutch" option for game language.

Homebrew are better than official (more user's preferences oriented) ;)

thanks for your help, too bad im not using an USB loader...
oh well... i hate it when developers make decisions for you instead of giving you an options screen...
i can't adjust the cursor, or text speed, or language, or brightness, or controller, or video settings (cuz i got 2 huge horizontal bars on top and below the screen now while playing this...) .
the music isn't all that outstanding either... so far i'm very disappointed... cuz i can only see negative things about this game.. it's so boring and not working right (wiimotion+ )...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is that the shop for the butterfly net?

Go on a high ground, where you can see the town almost fully, (I went to the bridge, but maybe try going up to the light house).
you will see a house moving in the air.
Then you need a projectile to hit the bell bellow the house (I used the flying beetle), he will send you a rope to go to the shop.

Edit:
Yeah, slingshot is working too.
But I didn't come back to sky island until the end of the first dungeon, so I had the choice between slingshot or beetle (beetle is unlimited :P)

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The flying shop circles around the big stationary market.
You can get there way before you get the beetle by using the slingshot, but not earlier..

And can anybody help me with my 4:3 problem? :D

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
thanks guys

i feel real dumb now

i was used to looking on world map for his shop and the WTF WHERE IS IT
will buy stuff later :D

i dont understand what people dont like about this game

i realling enjoying it and the controls are great
(apart from when i forget ive been standing for about 2 hours and when i lay down my leg cramps up LOL)

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can get there way before you get the beetle by using the slingshot, but not earlier..

It's 16:9 only as far as I know. Play it in 4:3 and it's letterboxed.

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It's 16:9 only as far as I know. Play it in 4:3 and it's letterboxed.

Can anybody else confirm this? Not liking the black bars on my 4:3 TV.

On another note: is anybody else getting interface lag in menus?

DanPavanez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hi, i'm using the .wia PAL version and it works on neogamma. But when i finish the baptism of the flight the game freezes and there is only a black screen. anyone now if in this sushi version there is already this freeze? (sorry for my bad english)

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night