Wii u bricked?

MXRD4K1LL4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm gonna tell the more I can. My Wii u had haxchi and fake system 99.9 . It was perfectly working. I tried to hack my vwii with smash bros brawl (it don't worked but I wanted to continue tomorrow cuz we wanted to play with family.) So I returned to my Wii u menu. It just put the Wii u logo, after it put a bug line and shows the error 160-0103 But I think it is bricked because the Wii u says that it is 5.5 so I think it automatically put an update and bricked my Wii u so do someone know how to solve this?

Exotical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna tell the more I can. My Wii u had haxchi and fake system 99.9 . It was perfectly working. I tried to hack my vwii with smash bros brawl (it don't worked but I wanted to continue tomorrow cuz we wanted to play with family.) So I returned to my Wii u menu. It just put the Wii u logo, after it put a bug line and shows the error 160-0103 But I think it is bricked because the Wii u says that it is 5.5 so I think it automatically put an update and bricked my Wii u so do someone know how to solve this?
CBHC or Normal Haxchi?

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CBHC or Normal Haxchi?
If it's reporting a fake system version, it's CBHC.

To the OP are you able to access the CBHC menu and homebrew launcher at all? If it's only a partial brick it maybe salvageable if you can access homebrew launcher. If it's a full brick you need a NAND backup from before it bricked but it requires microsoldering.

MXRD4K1LL4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's reporting a fake system version, it's CBHC.

To the OP are you able to access the CBHC menu and homebrew launcher at all? If it's only a partial brick it maybe salvageable if you can access homebrew launcher. If it's a full brick you need a NAND backup from before it bricked but it requires microsoldering.
It only bricked my console. I think it's a full brick because I can't even go to the log in menu and it puts me 160-0103 and I don't have any backup.. is there a shortcut to get to an app?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
An update wouldn't brick your Wii U and vWii is completely separate from Wii U mode so that shouldn't affect it either.

Based on some quick googling around that error message appears related to the NAND corruption issue some people experienced (the infamous Smash Bros corruption, but apparently it can be caused by other things too, note this is referring to the Wii U game and not Brawl), usually this manifests with an error message upon trying to start the affected game, but if the console is formatted afterwards it renders the system unbootable. In your case it seems like the Wii U Menu savedata itself might've gotten corrupted, which is unfortunate.
Edit: Oh, since you have CBHC it could also be possible that it's the DS VC savegame that got corrupted. But functionally, it doesn't make a lot of difference since the DS VC loads in place of the Wii U menu and as long as that isn't working there's no way to get to the Wii U menu anyway.

Are you able to get to the profile selection and do you have another profile on the console? Loading another profile might help as it will use a different save slot. If you're able to boot the system with a different save slot, there is a way to recover.
Reddit has the solution on how to fix the corruption but that will only work if you're able to boot the system through another profile. And it may not work for your specific brick since it isn't tied to a game and I'm not sure you can even delete Wii U menu save data that way but if you can boot the system with another profile, there are ways to manually delete the save data with homebrew.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MXRD4K1LL4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
An update wouldn't brick your Wii U and vWii is completely separate from Wii U mode so that shouldn't affect it either.

Based on some quick googling around that error message appears related to the NAND corruption issue some people experienced (the infamous Smash Bros corruption, but apparently it can be caused by other things too, note this is referring to the Wii U game and not Brawl), usually this manifests with an error message upon trying to start the affected game, but if the console is formatted afterwards it renders the system unbootable. In your case it seems like the Wii U Menu savedata itself might've gotten corrupted, which is unfortunate.
Edit: Oh, since you have CBHC it could also be possible that it's the DS VC savegame that got corrupted. But functionally, it doesn't make a lot of difference since the DS VC loads in place of the Wii U menu and as long as that isn't working there's no way to get to the Wii U menu anyway.

Are you able to get to the profile selection and do you have another profile on the console? Loading another profile might help as it will use a different save slot. If you're able to boot the system with a different save slot, there is a way to recover.
Reddit has the solution on how to fix the corruption but that will only work if you're able to boot the system through another profile. And it may not work for your specific brick since it isn't tied to a game and I'm not sure you can even delete Wii U menu save data that way but if you can boot the system with another profile, there are ways to manually delete the save data with homebrew.

I had installed smash bros for Wii but I uninstalled it some hours before that happens. When I have access to the gamepad boot menu but anything else put Wii u logo and seconds later error 160-0103 the system is corrupted but I really don't understand. In the bubble 1 it says that my system is 5.5 u

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I had installed smash bros for Wii but I uninstalled it some hours before that happens. When I have access to the gamepad boot menu but anything else put Wii u logo and seconds later error 160-0103 the system is corrupted but I really don't understand. In the bubble 1 it says that my system is 5.5 u
If you can't boot into another profile, there's nothing else you can currently do, short of a NAND flash using a hardware flasher, which requires you to have a good NAND backup (or at the very least an OTP backup, which will allow you to decrypt a NAND backup you make and remove the corruption in vitro) and soldering expertise.
Not all hope is lost. If a new exploit entrypoint is found in the future that doesn't require any setup on the console ahead of time and runs before the Wii U menu, that could allow you to fix the brick, but that's a lot of ifs. The 3DS and Switch both have that and in both cases it was due to vulnerable recovery modes left behind in the firmware. Maybe the Wii U has such a thing, nobody has found one yet, but it took a long time for anybody to discover the ntrboot exploit on 3DS as well, so it is possible.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't we take a random nand Backup and change the console specs in the file?
I just thought of this, you can use the otp.bin to extract the files from slc, mlc, or slcmpt. there's one app for slc and slcmpt called I think nand extractor, then another called wfs extract for the mlc. it won't contain games though or at least it didn't for me.

MXRD4K1LL4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just thought of this, you can use the otp.bin to extract the files from slc, mlc, or slcmpt. there's one app for slc and slcmpt called I think nand extractor, then another called wfs extract for the mlc. it won't contain games though or at least it didn't for me.
But isn't these files corrupted?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But isn't these files corrupted?
if they're from a nand that has corrupted files, then yes. I thought you meant another person's nand. can't use the nand, but you can extract files from it provided you have the otp.bin. you can do the same with their usb, but you also need the seeprom.bin for that one. all nands only require the otp.bin. jnus tool can get you just about anything, if not anything, for the mlc (internal storage), but the core os (slc), I don't think it works. it may or may not work, but I've found the os in the versions.bin file. I don't know what would happen if you tried jnus tool with it.

MXRD4K1LL4

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if they're from a nand that has corrupted files, then yes. I thought you meant another person's nand. can't use the nand, but you can extract files from it provided you have the otp.bin. you can do the same with their usb, but you also need the seeprom.bin for that one. all nands only require the otp.bin. jnus tool can get you just about anything, if not anything, for the mlc (internal storage), but the core os (slc), I don't think it works. it may or may not work, but I've found the os in the versions.bin file. I don't know what would happen if you tried jnus tool with it.
When I open jnustool I see the menj thing with downloads, parameters but nothing appears when I click them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: