Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're correct, this is the files for the Wii U version, specifically the challenge app (never got the full game on this Wii U so I'll need to wait until we make a new Webkit exploit for games like Smash or Kirby and the Rainbow Curse :c) that doesn't have all the content.

On another note, with the initial release of SARCPack, you can tell something big is coming ;) The coding is probably not as good as it could be but it should work fine. Again, feel free to include it with whatever. If you need to Yaz0 compress, use yaz0enc from amnoid.de. yaz0enc might have some trouble with big files (I tried it on MysteryHouseMaxTexture from SM3DW and it went to like -40% halfway in ???)but it should compress fine so ignore the percentage.
SARCPack v0.1 Source Code
SARCPack v0.1 32-BIT EXE

Hi! I am newbiew, could i download v0.1 for Super Mario 3D World, because when i use 0.21, font will display not correct! Thanks for any help!

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! But!
Here is my problem:
First, I have original FontData.szs
I used SARC tool to unpack and repack font file!
Something wrong? Font will not display correct! But I do it with text file and working perfect!

that's a problem with how you're editing the font then

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Quick message for @HRudy94.

I'll be honest - I feel bad for you. Bad enough to resurrect the old general-purpose thread to reach out, anyway. I don't know if you're trolling or genuine, but in case it's the latter I'd like to leave this here for you.

We've all been there. We've all taken on a project without really understanding what it entails, only to be smashed down by others. It's one of those things that most homebrew developers can look back on and chuckle a little - how far we've come, etc. The scene has a few infamous examples - there's Frappuccino CFW, from a dev who previously had only worked on PC tools. It had an extensive feature list and a minimal GitHub repo. It started gaining traction, got a very negative response, and was locked. The dev continued work on their PC stuff; updated as recently as October. I think their situation is similar to yours - they came up with an idea of what they'd like to see, thought "it can't be that hard, I have experience in <x>" and made a thread announcing their intentions. The problem there was that they couldn't forsee the roadblocks they'd encounter, and couldn't actually deliver on what they'd promised. GBATemp can be a scary beast when people fail on their promises.
Despite that, the dev was able to get back on their feet, go back to what they knew and expand from there instead of jumping into the deep end. I reckon that if you're passionate, there's no reason you can't come back from this. You said it yourself - you're new to all this. You have to start somewhere, so start simple. Start with what you know you can do. Experiment and push further from the comfort of what you know.
You never know, you may even end up fulfilling your original goal. Back in June 2016, I made a project called URetro. At the time, there were basically no emulation options on the Wii U. My goal was to solve this problem; and my plan was to make a program similar to RetroArch which would attach to several different emulators to decisively make retro gaming on Wii U a thing. It would have fancy graphics, cores you could just drop in a folder and play, and all manner of other features I've since forgotten. I wanted to take full advantage of the unique hardware and make a damn cool program.
URetro turned out to be my Frappuccino. I hit a technical roadblock early on, sat on it for months and eventually had to kill off the project. I went back to what I was doing before (mostly writing massive posts like this) and went in a different direction. I never did write my all-in-one emulator to rule them all; but I did help out with someone else's. In a weird way, my original goal came to fruition, but not in the way I imagined it.

Anyway. I just wanted to say: don't let this get you down; but learn from it. I hope to see whatever you come up with making the rounds again soon - in a good way, this time ^_^

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'll be honest - I feel bad for you. Bad enough to resurrect the old general-purpose thread to reach out, anyway. I don't know if you're trolling or genuine, but in case it's the latter I'd like to leave this here for you.

We've all been there. We've all taken on a project without really understanding what it entails, only to be smashed down by others. It's one of those things that most homebrew developers can look back on and chuckle a little - how far we've come, etc. The scene has a few infamous examples - there's Frappuccino CFW, from a dev who previously had only worked on PC tools. It had an extensive feature list and a minimal GitHub repo. It started gaining traction, got a very negative response, and was locked. The dev continued work on their PC stuff; updated as recently as October. I think their situation is similar to yours - they came up with an idea of what they'd like to see, thought "it can't be that hard, I have experience in <x>" and made a thread announcing their intentions. The problem there was that they couldn't forsee the roadblocks they'd encounter, and couldn't actually deliver on what they'd promised. GBATemp can be a scary beast when people fail on their promises.
Despite that, the dev was able to get back on their feet, go back to what they knew and expand from there instead of jumping into the deep end. I reckon that if you're passionate, there's no reason you can't come back from this. You said it yourself - you're new to all this. You have to start somewhere, so start simple. Start with what you know you can do. Experiment and push further from the comfort of what you know.
You never know, you may even end up fulfilling your original goal. Back in June 2016, I made a project called URetro. At the time, there were basically no emulation options on the Wii U. My goal was to solve this problem; and my plan was to make a program similar to RetroArch which would attach to several different emulators to decisively make retro gaming on Wii U a thing. It would have fancy graphics, cores you could just drop in a folder and play, and all manner of other features I've since forgotten. I wanted to take full advantage of the unique hardware and make a damn cool program.
URetro turned out to be my Frappuccino. I hit a technical roadblock early on, sat on it for months and eventually had to kill off the project. I went back to what I was doing before (mostly writing massive posts like this) and went in a different direction. I never did write my all-in-one emulator to rule them all; but I did help out with someone else's. In a weird way, my original goal came to fruition, but not in the way I imagined it.

Anyway. I just wanted to say: don't let this get you down; but learn from it. I hope to see whatever you come up with making the rounds again soon - in a good way, this time ^_^

Exactly this! Back in the day when I was working on the Trinux project with NinjaCarver (can't seem to tag him, not sure if he's still around or if the site is just bugging out), we faced a lot of opposition, but despite that we managed to get Ubuntu 12.04LTS running on the Wii U (in the vWii). Honestly I was more of a tester than anything, most of the work was done by Ninja as far as getting Ubuntu running etc. @Maxternal did the low level race attack needed to get it running (I tweaked it trying to get SMP working properly, but had to cease for legal reasons, as I became a licensed Indie developer for Nintendo products and signed an NDA, which includes a no reverse engineering clause). The project ended up falling to the way side after that, but despite all the frack we faced from some here we still achieved some pretty awesome stuff. SMP would've been great to achieve and I still believe its very possible, but my hands are tied in that department.

Nevertheless when people try and drag you down YOU have the final say as to whether or not they can actually affect you. Prove them wrong and see what you can achieve. If you fail at doing something, just recognize that fallure is a step towards success. Nobody can magically achieve every goal they strive for without some level of failure. Failure is how we learn as humans.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I wasn't trolling at all, i was pretty serious... I feel i will just make some forks of homebrews...
Thank you for you comment (It made me feel good again...).
In fact, i saw how a big part of GBATemp is dangerous... (I understood it's impossible..., at least not with the current tools) and some people PM me to say I'm an idiot (Only one guy, don't worry, i will not say his name here...) ...
Thank you for mentioning me!
(Now, i will try to fork CBHC or the Haxchi CFW to have feature like included NNU-Patcher...)

Reactions: I pwned U!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1