❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
As it stands, we've got:

Framebuffer graphics (no acceleration or DRI)
Is it safe to assume wireless networking isn't a thing, though? I want WeeUChat. :^}

Also, don't hold your breath for emulators if this is all it can do now.

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, here's a quick update on the state of things. I haven't been able to work much on linux-wiiu due to real life (and that's likely true for the other devs too), but Quark and I have been working on a better solution for installing Debian than finagling around with tarballs and images and all that *fun* stuff. I'm currently cleaning up the Linux side of things right now (chroot is a royal pain), and Quark's been off bug hunting in linux-loader to implement support for a few bootloader features necessary for a clean installer. (They're not features you'll see on the surface, so don't worry if nothing seems to look different.)

@depaul: regarding emulators, go ahead! I've actually been thinking about trying a few myself. GCC is throwing internal compiler errors everywhere, though, so compiling anything non-trivial from scratch is mildly annoying at best and awful at worst. Anything needing a recompiler is probably a no-go unless someone's written one for PPC, so PSX and N64 are probably out for now. You could give NES/SNES a shot...

@Joom: sadly no wireless yet. rw's the one mainly working on this; I'm not in the loop about how it's going right now. Use a USB-Ethernet adapter for now.

Gunstorm

xD
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey all, here's a quick update on the state of things. I haven't been able to work much on linux-wiiu due to real life (and that's likely true for the other devs too), but Quark and I have been working on a better solution for installing Debian than finagling around with tarballs and images and all that *fun* stuff. I'm currently cleaning up the Linux side of things right now (chroot is a royal pain), and Quark's been off bug hunting in linux-loader to implement support for a few bootloader features necessary for a clean installer. (They're not features you'll see on the surface, so don't worry if nothing seems to look different.)

@depaul: regarding emulators, go ahead! I've actually been thinking about trying a few myself. GCC is throwing internal compiler errors everywhere, though, so compiling anything non-trivial from scratch is mildly annoying at best and awful at worst. Anything needing a recompiler is probably a no-go unless someone's written one for PPC, so PSX and N64 are probably out for now. You could give NES/SNES a shot...

@Joom: sadly no wireless yet. rw's the one mainly working on this; I'm not in the loop about how it's going right now. Use a USB-Ethernet adapter for now.

thanks a lot for update us with the status of the work in progress :)

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Joom: we patched the kernel to have support for a bunch of different USB-Ethernet adapters a little while ago, update your kernel and give it a shot. It should work with most, but no guarantees.

Reactions: lordelan and Joom

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Sounds good. Thanks for the update. It's great to hear that you're still "on it". It's completely fine that you don't "waste" all your time on it due to your real life. It should stay a fun thing so don't rush yourself.
I guess we're all happy whenever something new happens here. After all it's fun for us to to play around with it even if it can't do that much. :)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If it gets up and running fully, what things can you expect to do on it? There's youtube videos of linux running on the Wii and then running XP
Especially a media player (finally!), a proper browser, some simple games, using the Wii U as a server for multiple things (although a Rasp would be the better choice) and so on.

Reactions: Traace

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've already got Firefox running.....slowly :)

Both VLC and mplayer should work, but the compiled versions in the Debian repos will crash since they expect a newer PPC processor with AltiVec capabilities; the old PPC 750-based processor in the Wii U can't understand AltiVec instructions. You'll have to compile one of them on your own. GCC throws internal compiler errors when I try to compile VLC, though, so we'll see if we get anywhere on that.

Sidenote: bluetooth keyboards work with a bit of finagling. (I know, who cares, but somebody might want to know.)

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
TenFourFox support would be nice, but I think it's for Mac OS X 10.4/10.5 only.

Also, apparently, Debian dropped support for PowerPC since Stretch since its port was not being maintained.

Does the Wii U has a h264 hardware decoder?

Last edited by uyjulian,

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Debian has dropped support for PPC in the main releases, but Debian's sid (unstable) branch still supports PPC. TenFourFox does have a G3 version, but it's (again) OS X only; Firefox works just fine, actually.

The Wii U does have an h264 hardware decoder; I'm pretty sure it's just the decoder built into the R700 GPU, but I'm not certain.

Also, @kfrfansub, here's your long-delayed demo of linux-wiiu. It's kind of long due to slow loading times and one stupid PEBKAC error. (if I sound sleepy, it's because I am...)

kfrfansub

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Debian has dropped support for PPC in the main releases, but Debian's sid (unstable) branch still supports PPC. TenFourFox does have a G3 version, but it's (again) OS X only; Firefox works just fine, actually.

The Wii U does have an h264 hardware decoder; I'm pretty sure it's just the decoder built into the R700 GPU, but I'm not certain.

Also, @kfrfansub, here's your long-delayed demo of linux-wiiu. It's kind of long due to slow loading times and one stupid PEBKAC error. (if I sound sleepy, it's because I am...)

Thank you for the demo.

Good work ! And don't forget to sleep ^^

Last edited by kfrfansub,

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, thanks :)

Just tried a NES emulator, too (FCEUX)...yikes. The Wii U has more than enough CPU horsepower for it, but our pixel-pushing fbdev implementation is punishingly slow. Depending on how large you scale the image and how much you wiggle the cursor around, I've seen the FPS dip to about 21 running Super Mario Bros.

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/