Wii U no display with HDMI. Used Pico Recovery menu to restore coldboot still no dice.

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it says in the title. I have a 32GB Wii U I purchased form ebay. It was tested and working before shipping but now starts to the blue light and no display on multiple monitors and trying multiple HDMI cables. I can't pair the gamepad like this obviously. I CAN pair the pro controller and that took just fine. I bought a Pico and followed this video

to restore the coldboot to the USA version (it IS a USA console) with no luck. I get the purple light so I assume all my setup process for SD card and Pico are correct. Even used a small 4GB SDcard to be safe. Of course there is no indicator for the SD card to confirm it is loading the OS back like it should and I even let it sit a good while for good measure. Is there something else I can try or is she dead in the water?
Post automatically merged:

I should note that I also had no display during the recovery process. I was doing it blindly based on images of the menu. Power once to select cold boot and then eject twice to select USA firmware then power once more to confirm.

Last edited by 9646gt,

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you dump the logs, please?
I selected dump logs but the folder appears empty when I try to view it on my PC. Reviewing the document for the recovery menu i also decided to try the DC Init version to see if I could at least get 480p working. I renamed it properly and replaced what was on the SD card but on two different monitors that support 480P over HDMI I still get no image. I have even went as far as to try the USB LAN adapter trick by pluging it in to ethernet and powering the system off but after 10 minutes the red light is still on and never changes to the orange standby mode and there is no longer any activity on the adapter LEDS. I do see activity on there if I leave it powered on however but I am not even seeing it in the list of devices in my router setup.

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update, found out my LAN adapter uses the rtl8153 chipset which is not Wii compatible

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome to know thank you. I also just received a second u it as replacement and luckily it’s a Toshiba NAND but I’m definitely going to try what you suggested to see if this one could be saved. The seller claims they tested it with HDMI so don’t know why it would be in AV mode.

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why you are trying to mess with the Cold boot title. Especially since the OS seems to be working as you can sync the pro controller.
Maybe the output is just set to AV.
Use the recovery file I posted there to dump the code for the Game Pad and then try to pair it: https://gbatemp.net/threads/udpih-usb-host-stack-exploit-recovery-menu.613369/post-10275652
Then you can go to the settings and configure the output to HDMI
I tried your solution with no luck. Booted recovery menu then navigated blind to pair gamepad. Removed SD and put in PC and it says the pin is spade spade heart spade.

Put sd card back in and rebooted recovery menu. Selected pair gamepad again and gamepad after entering code says can’t connect and to move closer. Did I miss something

Did the pairing after a normal boot up and it works! Thank you! Save another from the scrap heap :)

EDIT: still no HDMI out even after doing a delete all settings and starting from scratch so still investigating. Software is up to date and TV settings are correctly applied. So maybe the HdMI is just shot?

Last edited by 9646gt,
Reactions: SDIO

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try pairing from the normal OS. Let the Wii U boot for a minute or so and then press the sync button on the console twice

And were you able to configure the tv now?

Last edited by SDIO,

9646gt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try pairing from the normal OS. Let the Wii U boot for a minute or so and then press the sync button on the console twice

And were you able to configure the tv now?
I got the tablet working great. Did a full reset and everything and even playing games on it. Finally gave up as I could never get any image over HDMI at any resolution despite it allowing me to select it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup