Hacking Wii U NOOB PARADISE - Ask & Answer questions here.

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used Wii U USB Helper to add some games to my Wii U home screen - Super Paper Mario (Wii) and Super Mario Sunshine (GCN).
Both boot up and play (at least the first few minutes) fine, using the Gamepad for Sunshine and a Wiimote for Paper Mario.

My question is what are my controller options for GCN games? I tried using HID to VPAD with a wired Dualshock 4 which allowed me to navigate the main menu but when I tried to boot Sunshine it seemed to only want to give me the option of gamepad or wiimote + nunchuk? It would be nice to get a controller with analogue triggers working for Sunshine

I'm really just trying to set my system up with as few peripherals as possible. If I could get controllers working I would ideally like to skip vWii modding so I don't need 2 hard drives to play GCN/Wii/Wii U.

Does Wii U support native GCN? Does this mean that I can get rid of my Wii and buy a Wii U for all my GCN + Wii + Wii U needs?

edit: spelling

Last edited by unpaiktable,

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Does Wii U support native GCN? Does this mean that I can get rid of my Wii and buy a Wii U for all my GCN + Wii + Wii U needs?

edit: spelling
Not exactly native, but now nintendon't exists, which runs gamecube games near natively in wii mode, so instead of gamecube firmware (how original wii also does it) the games are ran under wii firmware, some additional magics and stuff. It is now possible to package a gamecube game into a wii u installable, installed on wii u usb drive, forwarding to nintendon't and launching the game. Nintendon't is also compatible with nintendo's usb gamecube adapter, pro controllers, the gamepad through wii mode classic controller emulation, or dualshock controllers. Even generic logitech controllers etc. If you tinker to config them right. Best results of course come with controllers that have analog triggers, like dualshock, or real gamecube controllers through the adapter.

The compatibility is great nor is there hinderances like incompatibility with streaming audio nor anything like that.

purplegreendave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not exactly native, but now nintendon't exists, which runs gamecube games near natively in wii mode, so instead of gamecube firmware (how original wii also does it) the games are ran under wii firmware, some additional magics and stuff. It is now possible to package a gamecube game into a wii u installable, installed on wii u usb drive, forwarding to nintendon't and launching the game. Nintendon't is also compatible with nintendo's usb gamecube adapter, pro controllers, the gamepad through wii mode classic controller emulation, or dualshock controllers. Even generic logitech controllers etc. If you tinker to config them right. Best results of course come with controllers that have analog triggers, like dualshock, or real gamecube controllers through the adapter.

The compatibility is great nor is there hinderances like incompatibility with streaming audio nor anything like that.
Could you give me any tips on getting controllers to work?
I used Wii U USB Helper to prepare my SD, convert my GCN iso and copy it to my SD. Then I used WUP Installer GX2 to install it on my Wii U USB.
It launches fine but I don't know how to get it working my my DS4. I have a GC controller adapter but I don't want to buy more controllers unless I know I can get them working...

EDIT: Got it working. Trick is to choose not to use the Gamepad, use a Wiimote to select TV Only then let the Wiimote power itself off and connect the DS4.
Now I just need to decide what kind of controller I want to use long term, but DS4 is good for now!

Last edited by purplegreendave,

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Could you give me any tips on getting controllers to work?
I used Wii U USB Helper to prepare my SD, convert my GCN iso and copy it to my SD. Then I used WUP Installer GX2 to install it on my Wii U USB.
It launches fine but I don't know how to get it working my my DS4. I have a GC controller adapter but I don't want to buy more controllers unless I know I can get them working...

EDIT: Got it working. Trick is to choose not to use the Gamepad, use a Wiimote to select TV Only then let the Wiimote power itself off and connect the DS4.
Now I just need to decide what kind of controller I want to use long term, but DS4 is good for now!
Yep yep. I personally use gamecube controller or the gamepad itself. Depends on game really. I made backups of all my own wii and gamecube games with my wii and plan to play them on wii u, also nintendon't supports multiple gamecube controllers in the adapter and automatically maps the wireless controllers as last controllers after the gamecube controllers.

Overall it is the best thing. There is also a app to do same in wii u generally, with somewhat dodgy compatibility but excellent functionality and compatibility with several things when in use. I even made a config for my fight stick and used it in tekken tag tournament 2 for wii u which was swell as hell.

purplegreendave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yep yep. I personally use gamecube controller or the gamepad itself. Depends on game really. I made backups of all my own wii and gamecube games with my wii and plan to play them on wii u, also nintendon't supports multiple gamecube controllers in the adapter and automatically maps the wireless controllers as last controllers after the gamecube controllers.

Overall it is the best thing. There is also a app to do same in wii u generally, with somewhat dodgy compatibility but excellent functionality and compatibility with several things when in use. I even made a config for my fight stick and used it in tekken tag tournament 2 for wii u which was swell as hell.
Since I already have the GC adapter and I'd like the shoulder buttons for Sunshine etc plain old Gamecube controllers do seem like the best option. Only thing is I'd prefer wireless and Wavebirds are expensive as hell. If you're using the GCN adapter and controller do you get rumble?

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Since I already have the GC adapter and I'd like the shoulder buttons for Sunshine etc plain old Gamecube controllers do seem like the best option. Only thing is I'd prefer wireless and Wavebirds are expensive as hell. If you're using the GCN adapter and controller do you get rumble?
Yes, i tvink so. I live in small apartment and have few smash gc controllers with 3m cords so I have no problem with gamecube controllers.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a good guide to follow for modding breath of the wild on Wii U? I've been seeing a lot of mods online like this one https://twitter.com/PixelMatt64/status/919332546864807941

Or is it currently only possible on CEMU right now?

EDIT: nevermind I figured it out lol.

Instead, does anyone know how to inject a save file into the vWii VC inject games?

Last edited by SlimPortable,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few noob Q's:
1) Is there a way to bypass an SD card and just install games from USB to USB? I think the answer to this is no, but I just want to be sure. Reason I ask is my SD card is only 2GB, but I have shit ton of USB sticks, various sizes.
2) I have Haxchi set up (non-CBHC). I noticed that it doesn't run properly unless my SD card is in the system, which leads me to believe that there are dependencies (or possibly the entire thing) on the SD card. In the case I actually do get my hands on a larger SD card (not likely for a good while), would it be safe if I simply copy everything from the old SD card to the new one?
3) How the heck do I get MAME working? I must be a numbskull because I could never figure it out even on PC. The rom is always a zip file with a jillion different files in it, and google searches vary from "keep it zipped" to "unzip it first", and neither has ever worked for me.
4) What are the details on using USB sticks? Originally I was under the impression that you had to use an actual external HDD to do anything on Wii U, but I've been able to install games and play them from my USB stick just fine with Wii U USB Helper. Is it hit and miss? Or was Nintendo bullshitting from the get-go?

Thanks!

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few noob Q's:
1) Is there a way to bypass an SD card and just install games from USB to USB? I think the answer to this is no, but I just want to be sure. Reason I ask is my SD card is only 2GB, but I have shit ton of USB sticks, various sizes.
2) I have Haxchi set up (non-CBHC). I noticed that it doesn't run properly unless my SD card is in the system, which leads me to believe that there are dependencies (or possibly the entire thing) on the SD card. In the case I actually do get my hands on a larger SD card (not likely for a good while), would it be safe if I simply copy everything from the old SD card to the new one?
3) How the heck do I get MAME working? I must be a numbskull because I could never figure it out even on PC. The rom is always a zip file with a jillion different files in it, and google searches vary from "keep it zipped" to "unzip it first", and neither has ever worked for me.
4) What are the details on using USB sticks? Originally I was under the impression that you had to use an actual external HDD to do anything on Wii U, but I've been able to install games and play them from my USB stick just fine with Wii U USB Helper. Is it hit and miss? Or was Nintendo bullshitting from the get-go?

Thanks!

1) no, the games can either only be installed from the SD card or by using the Wii U Transfer tool from homebrew app store

2) Not sure, but I believe as long as the SD card is fat32 formatted, you should be able to just copy it from SD to SD

3) not sure on mame ,unfortunately.

4) for best performance, you should use a desktop hard drive with wall power.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaxChi doesn't run without the SD because you probably have it set to boot default to HBL. That requires the HBL files to be on the SD so HaxChi can find them. @grandosegood is correct. You can just copy from SD to SD and it will work fine.

Like you, I have used USB flash drives before without any issues whatsoever, although I've seen users posts issues here.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to mount/extract files that were used to build installation files? Example: An installation folder with .app's, .h3's, .cert, .tik, .tmd: Is there a way for me to extract certain files from that? Mainly the images (banner, gamepad, etc) and soundfile. Thanks!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) no, the games can either only be installed from the SD card or by using the Wii U Transfer tool from homebrew app store...
Thank you!

Using the transfer tool only installs to NAND, correct? And installing to NAND is never a good idea unless I have it first installed on USB?

HaxChi doesn't run without the SD because you probably have it set to boot default to HBL. That requires the HBL files to be on the SD so HaxChi can find them...
Thank you as well! I recently set the default to sysmenu so I will give it another try after removing the SD card. Thanks for that info!

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my recommendation is to use WUP installer gx2, which is done by placing your games in the 'install' folder then selecting usb when using wup installer gx2

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, what format are Wii U roms in for Loadiine GX2? I know that WUP Installer GX2 takes folders with a lot of .apps and other weird files, how can I obtain those for games? And what about Loadiine GX2?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was listening to the Ice T Iceberg CD other day, good stuff
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i concur
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    power is my fave tho, masterpiece
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on that new ll album
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    steve miller band got me into rock from folk and country
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    fly like an eagle
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys ever heard of group out of detroit called "Top Authority"? They were good too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess this is the power of genres they make you talk about other artists
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What are you guys talking about?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hamsters
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People that do drugs
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I been listening to a f-ton of jrock and jpop lately
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    mainly a lot of go!go! and cibo matto
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lil' hamster yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Big hamster yawn
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop stealing his sayings
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, svebe
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sometimes when I poop I just think that's it?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its like wiping TP over a magic marker, just won't stop showing.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, or diarrhea
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shit: is :shit: +1