Wii U overclocking

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh sorry missed you were talking about the one under the IHS. And there you don't run into problems with paste? Because if there was a pad you would have a gap. How did you check that the dies are properly cooled with the paste?

Beneb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry missed you were talking about the one under the IHS. And there you don't run into problems with paste? Because if there was a pad you would have a gap. How did you check that the dies are properly cooled with the paste?
No, like you said, the springs take care of the gaps. It makes good contact and I don't have any thermal issues on the dies.
There isn't a tool to check the temps on the dies (to my knowledge but it would be really useful) but if they overheat, the console shuts down automatically. After running BOTW for like 30 mins there is still no shutdown so it's definitely not overheating.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The springs press the Heatsink on the IHS but the IHS also touches the substrate on the side, so it doesn't press directly agains the dies. And if they put a pad there, it should be manufactured so there is a gap for the pad.

Beneb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The springs press the Heatsink on the IHS but the IHS also touches the substrate on the side, so it doesn't press directly agains the dies. And if they put a pad there, it should be manufactured so there is a gap for the pad.
there is enough travel in the springs where the heatsink still touches the dies. When I applied my thermal paste I checked for good contact and distrebution of the paste and it was perfect

HelpfulHooty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Too many messages to quote, but thanks for the input! I'll probably skip the de-lidding for the moment, as I haven't done any de-lidding before.

However, I would be gratefull if you could do a small video or take few pictures (step-by-step would be great but not madatory) about the prosses when and if you do the de-lidding next time.

Beneb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Post automatically merged:

Too many messages to quote, but thanks for the input! I'll probably skip the de-lidding for the moment, as I haven't done any de-lidding before.

However, I would be gratefull if you could do a small video or take few pictures (step-by-step would be great but not madatory) about the prosses when and if you do the de-lidding next time.

Last edited by Beneb,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh I assumed you would out the IHS back and and not do direct die. But now that I think about it, it makes sense, becuase you don't need the IHS for a socket mount because there is no socket. YOu just have to be very careful to not damage the dies when putting on the heat sink.
My concern with the MCM would be that the dies have a very tiny height difference, making the connection not perfect. Also the small die is the seeprom. The IO is on the the big Latte chip with the GPU and the ARM. The other one is the PPC

Beneb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I assumed you would out the IHS back and and not do direct die. But now that I think about it, it makes sense, becuase you don't need the IHS for a socket mount because there is no socket. YOu just have to be very careful to not damage the dies when putting on the heat sink.
My concern with the MCM would be that the dies have a very tiny height difference, making the connection not perfect. Also the small die is the seeprom. The IO is on the the big Latte chip with the GPU and the ARM. The other one is the PPC
Yea Im not concerned really about damaging the dies because the mounting pressure isnt high anyway. Also the heat generated by the chips isnt terribly high so the thermal paste being a little thicker on one die than another isnt an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1