Wii U Update 4.0 Out

JakePsycho

gold~king~house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all you WiiU owners, what does this picture mean? Is the WiiU getting unified accounts soon?

1380591135013.jpg

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Loving the ability to upload screenshots finally! I can have my GOD team on warriors orochi 3 as a desktop background!!

So pretty ^.^
WiiU_screenshot_TV_0112B_zpsd3610a13.jpg

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To all you WiiU owners, what does this picture mean? Is the WiiU getting unified accounts soon?

View attachment 4493

Wow. I might just buy Wind Waker, tonight over the eshop if thats true.
If they put that through, I'm quite a bit more likely to buy stuff on eshop...buy another 3DS as my animal crossing is tied to my other one, etc.

Have they seperated Audio from HMDI? now? Kinda wondering now with support for PLII. Does Pro Logic II even run over HDMI?

EDIT:
  • A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV”
    • Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
Now I don't have to buy a new receiver anymore! YES!
I've been playing around with the idea of a new receiver. However, now I don't have to. I only use headphones and stereo, yet my TV only does 720p over component, but will do 1080p over HDMI. Now I can do 1080P over HDMI and stereo over red/white! Pretty cool update. I think they might be listening.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I might just buy Wind Waker, tonight over the eshop if thats true.
If they put that through, I'm quite a bit more likely to buy stuff on eshop...buy another 3DS as my animal crossing is tied to my other one, etc.

Have they seperated Audio from HMDI? now? Kinda wondering now with support for PLII. Does Pro Logic II even run over HDMI?

EDIT:
  • A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through “TV”
    • Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
Now I don't have to buy a new receiver anymore! YES!
I've been playing around with the idea of a new receiver. However, now I don't have to. I only use headphones and stereo, yet my TV only does 720p over component, but will do 1080p over HDMI. Now I can do 1080P over HDMI and stereo over red/white! Pretty cool update. I think they might be listening.

But if all you wanted was to use stereo headphones, couldn't you just plug the headphones directly into the gamepad?

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But if all you wanted was to use stereo headphones, couldn't you just plug the headphones directly into the gamepad?

That would have worked. Quality aside? I don't know if the stereo from my receiver, vs the gamepad, vs the 2 channel optical from hdmi return on my tv is. Does it matter with just stereo. That would have worked yeah, I suppose those line of res weren't that important to me. and Wind Waker is the first game I've wanted to play that is actually rendered at 1080p.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like Joostin Online's gotten a sort of fix for the HBC 4:3 problem
http://www.hacksden.com/showthread.php/7814-Fix-for-the-HBC-with-the-latest-Wii-U-update
apparently, this is because the Wii U thinks that HBC is a Virtual Console title so he made a forwarder TO the HBC.

If you don't like having two HBC's on your system menu, I'd say just to move the original ("broken") one to the last page to hide it for now.

Aha, I knew it! Or at least, guessed that this was the problem (not that I'd know where to begin on a fix myself). I'd say that's a good enough work around for now, though I hope they'll make an update (must be kind of hard to return to coding the HBC after so much time though). Thanks for posting that.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Aha, I knew it! Or at least, guessed that this was the problem. I'd say that's a good enough work around for now, though I hope they'll make an update (must be kind of hard to return to coding the HBC after so much time though). Thanks for posting that.
I thought of another possible fix since it seems it's the updated vWii system menu that decides whether to go 4:3 or not ... you could try dumping your system menu to a WAD before the update and then installing it again when you're done. It would also eliminate the 4:3 "feature" for REAL Virtual Console games, though.

DISCLAIMER : this, like anything that you do to your system menu, there's a real brick risk so I take NO responsibility if someone actually decides to try this.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would also eliminate the 4:3 "feature" for REAL Virtual Console games, though.

Personally this is a feature I like...it was something that always bothered me that everything was either 4:3 or VC games were stretched (or you had to monkey with the TV settings). I'm glad they finally fixed that, even if it's years later and on a different game system. ;)

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd mention that the new user agent option in the browser is very useful for certain scenarios. For example, I prefer using YouTube in their browser, but sometimes come across videos that say, 'This video cannot be played on this device.' Changing to Firefox or Chrome will give you a flash error, so use the Safari one. These videos work fine now. :D There's also a certain movie streaming site that has newer movies in mp4 format for mobile devices, but the site doesn't have them on the desktop version. Changing to iPhone user agent fixes this easily. ;)

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
The Wii TV Off support is still annoying as you still have to use a WiiMote but its with the WiiU gamepad. Would've been a lot better if you can use the gamepad controls as not every game uses motion.

And its still got nothing for the Wii TV. I still got a TV icon that says its not available. Will that ever become available or will they remove it in the next update? Stupid releasing the console with features that dont work, its like releasing a beta version so why did we pay full version for a beta device?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii TV Off support is still annoying as you still have to use a WiiMote but its with the WiiU gamepad. Would've been a lot better if you can use the gamepad controls as not every game uses motion.

And its still got nothing for the Wii TV. I still got a TV icon that says its not available. Will that ever become available or will they remove it in the next update? Stupid releasing the console with features that dont work, its like releasing a beta version so why did we pay full version for a beta device?

Are you using an HDMI cable? I use component and I'm able to immediately able to load directly into Wii mode without the TV being on. Don't be so ungrateful. Nintendo releases a firmware update that allows off-screen play on the gamepad and people just go on and on on how they have to use the Wii controller. No one's forcing you to use the feature you know.

Reactions: enzymbewegung

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It would be nice, but really, I'm sure there are pretty good technical reasons for why they've not done this. I won't say it's impossible...just remember that the Wii mode on WiiU is a Wii hardware mode...it can't access all the WiiU bits of the hardware. It's surprising that they got Wii on Gamepad working...people who know better than most here thought it was impossible up until a few days ago.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal theory is that it's because they're going to have a web accessible eShop soon (they DID talk about this a while back). Real unified user accounts would be nice though.

Wonder how that's all gonna pan out since that user agreement sounds kinda cryptic about exchanging/transferring between Nintendo devices (as they put it). B-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER