Wii U Update 4.0 Out

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still fairly outdated so forgive my ignorance, interested in finally getting my WiiU's vWii setup for homebrew, is it still safe to upgrade to this system menu revision and use smash stack or one of the indiana jones exploits to get hbc etc up and running?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still fairly outdated so forgive my ignorance, interested in finally getting my WiiU's vWii setup for homebrew, is it still safe to upgrade to this system menu revision and use smash stack or one of the indiana jones exploits to get hbc etc up and running?

Yep. All homebrew works perfectly fine on this update, plus it's now possible to play emulators, Wii games, etc all on the gamepad! :P

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yep. All homebrew works perfectly fine on this update, plus it's now possible to play emulators, Wii games, etc all on the gamepad! :P
Has anyone actually TRIED one of those exploits on the new version yet? The HBC and other homebrew that's ALREADY INSTALLED works just fine, yes, but since they did update the Wii mode system menu they very well may have made another attempt at deleting/blocking those game saves for the disc based exploits you have to use to install HBC in the first place.

(not likely, but possible ... just saying.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone actually TRIED one of those exploits on the new version yet? The HBC and other homebrew that's ALREADY INSTALLED works just fine, yes, but since they did update the Wii mode system menu they very well may have made another attempt at deleting/blocking those game saves for the disc based exploits you have to use to install HBC in the first place.

(not likely, but possible ... just saying.)

I think someone mentioned that he installed HBC after the update, it was 16:9 at first but when he exited, he went back in and the app reverted to 4:3

Reactions: Maxternal

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So not supporting the gamepad buttons...is that on purpose to try and milk those 1.50 vc upgrades or do you think Nintendo will give it to is eventually?

I personally will still probably upgrade all my titles when available for the save states and button mapping features

I think if they added it they would probably make more money selling wii software, plenty of stuff is only available on wii and this may push people to buy it if they added button support.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So not supporting the gamepad buttons...is that on purpose to try and milk those 1.50 vc upgrades or do you think Nintendo will give it to is eventually?

I personally will still probably upgrade all my titles when available for the save states and button mapping features

I think if they added it they would probably make more money selling wii software, plenty of stuff is only available on wii and this may push people to buy it if they added button support.
The information about which gamepad buttons are being pushed is probably completely inaccessible from Wii mode since there's still no way to even turn the gamepad on and off from Wii mode, you just get the option to leave it on or not right before entering Wii mode.

And even IF it was accesible
Tricking Wii games into thinking that it's a classic controller is QUITE a bit of work. Normally, it goes something like this when a Wii games wants to see if the A button is being pressed on the classic controller (Game->A button) :

Game->IOS->USB->Bluetooth->wiimote->classic controller->A button

so in order for the IOS to make the game THINK it's talking to a classic controller, it has to look at USB info the game's requesting to be sent to bluetooth, catch specifically the ones that are going to a Wiimote's classic controller, and translate them into checks of the gamepad's buttons instead. Given how long it took Nintendo to patch faulty security checks in the original Wii's IOS's, I don't think they're gonna think another patch of ALL vWii's IOS is worth the effort.

Again IF that info were accessible, it might be something that could be added to homebrew but someone would first have to find out if it's possible and how to interact with them.

Reactions: the_randomizer

THA-REAPER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think for quick booting into Wii mode by holding B...A small test via HDMI cable is required. The HDMI cable must be hooked up to your TV and Wii U and the tv must be powered. Haven't tried with AV...

But can anyone confirm that? Try doing it with without an HDMI cable...

You don't need a sensor bar at all though for the quick Wii mode boot, I've tested several times without it plugged in. You'll need it if your on the Wii U menu though.

Days old on this but after some messing around...If you have your Wii U set to use HDMI in the settings and your TV off during quickboot you will get...
IMG_0568.JPG
You will keep getting that duing quick boot until you turn the TV on (Remember this happens only when you have HDMI set in your Wii U settings). This isn't a big deal, however if you wanted to not use the TV and sensor bar it can help knowing. (That black glare in the background is actually my TV off).

If you wanted to get around it...you can easily start your Wii U normally then go into settings and change it to Non-HDMI instead of HDMI. I did that without using the TV. I set it to 480i, 16:9...that stops the message from coming up when trying to quick boot without any video cables or sensor bar...just power brick and USB stuff plugged in. I guess it behaves that way because HDMI needs to detect your resolution and cant with a powered off TV and when using component cables it does no such test so it doesn't bother testing.

Its no big deal if you wanted to use your sensor bar and TV, you can just go through the Wii U menu for that matter. I just wanted to clarify and share.

Reactions: blaisedinsd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo