Hacking Wii vs vWii: image quality?

MUDD_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Both are WiiU, top picture is 720p component, bottom is 720p hdmi (both are scaled by the monitor to 900 lines, so it's not even necessarily representative of what you will get on your setup with those 2 video modes)
Got it! The HDMI image, in my opinion, is a little (barely) better.

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
I also think My Life in Gaming will bring out a video on this matter since the new Wii Dual Mod is out.

This video is good. The Wii Dual has better video output. But the Wii U has better retroarch support, better emulator speeds in some emulators, and has Wii U access on top of all the Wii has.

So it short:
Wii has better video output.
Wii U has more game support.
Both have HDMI ease.
Wii has less but fully powered usb ports as well as native gamecube controller and memcard support.

I suggest a Wii with Wii dual for Wii and gamecube only. And a Wii U for everything else. Or a Wii U only for convenience but worse Wii and NGC support.

Last edited by oxitran,

miiuwiiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

This video is good. The Wii Dual has better video output. But the Wii U has better retroarch support, better emulator speeds in some emulators, and has Wii U access on top of all the Wii has.

So it short:
Wii has better video output.
Wii U has more game support.
Both have HDMI ease.
Wii has less but fully powered usb ports as well as native gamecube controller and memcard support.

I suggest a Wii with Wii dual for Wii and gamecube only. And a Wii U for everything else. Or a Wii U only for convenience but worse Wii and NGC support.

I also like the Wii Dual. Do you think it is possible to improve the video output for the vWii? The vWii is software based, so maybe it is possible to tweak the software?

oxitran

Trophies
XP
Country
I also like the Wii Dual. Do you think it is possible to improve the video output for the vWii? The vWii is software based, so maybe it is possible to tweak the software?
The vWii is partially hardware based. The wii originally had terrible video due to a terrible DAC chip. The vWii seems to have terrible video because of poor scaling, wrong aspect ratio, poor colour accuracy, etc. If these issues were all fixable in software, and the video output was not dictated by hardware, the task would be very very difficult if not impossible as I imagine you would need the vWii ios source code.

miiuwiiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The vWii is partially hardware based. The wii originally had terrible video due to a terrible DAC chip. The vWii seems to have terrible video because of poor scaling, wrong aspect ratio, poor colour accuracy, etc. If these issues were all fixable in software, and the video output was not dictated by hardware, the task would be very very difficult if not impossible as I imagine you would need the vWii ios source code.

Thank you. Is there a possibility to have better video output for the vWii on the WiiU? How can it be done?

TheDemonicBore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to barge into a necropost!

The Wii dual has been long dead and discontinued, while alternatives to this (like the wii HDMI mod by Arthimus) are rare and hard to come by. I understand that new methods have come by like the recent tiramisu hack which is basically a new way to hack the Wii u rather than buying an e-shop game. I was wondering if we could ever potentially see the light of day with these fixes to vWii and other sorts of stuff.

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I buy av2hdmi on ali for wii an ps2.
Image quality increased, no more lines or noises.
Image become sharp and It's should be enough for user.
I compared before with wiiu and yes wiiu a little better - more soft image, but you would notise this on really big screen or if you close to tv.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: