Hacking WiiU Virtual Console finally fixed! [No More dark filter, and widescreen support!]

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait, to enable Widescreen patches in N64 games, do we not need to patch the roms and instead just have to add these kinds of codes to the config.ini file included with in each N64 VC's content folder on the Wii U? Or am I just completely misunderstanding what's happening here? If I do understand right, where do you add these extra code to the config file? Right at the end of everything else already in there?
you can patch the roms or use the codes its the same thing, if you used a ptached rom with widescreen you dont need to put the codes obviously.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can patch the roms or use the codes its the same thing, if you used a ptached rom with widescreen you dont need to put the codes obviously.
but you do put those codes in that specific file? the config.ini in the content folder of that title? And you just add the code to the end of what's there?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
but you do put those codes in that specific file? the config.ini in the content folder of that title? And you just add the code to the end of what's there?
you can edit the config file and put them there under cheats like he did, just needs to be the correct wiiuvc format cheats, so any config file you go to the bottom or if there is already a cheat in there and put your stuff

[Cheat]
xxxxxx

Reactions: MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my bright idea was to have the normal system menu have all my N64 VC and inject games in their native 4:3 resolution (darkness filter removed of course), and then when booted after booting SDCafiine, the same games would be in widescreen (again darkness filter removed), by making each VC title a folder in the SDCafiine folder of my sd card, followed by a content folder with the adjusted to widescreen dimensions FrameLayout.arc file. This actually works fantastically, happy to have both options available for all games.

It's the cheat patches in the config.ini file for applicable games that doesn't seem to be working for these SDCafiine loaded games. It's the same deal for them, after applying the necessary codes to the end of their corresponding config.ini and placing that in the content folder of the title within the SDCafiine folder they should be exactly where they need to be, yet when I load the game after loading SDCafiine, I get the new 16:9 aspect ratio, but the games are still clearly being displayed in a stretched 4:3 image instead of having the cheats properly applied to give the authentic widescreen that is so desired.

I have to imagine that at the end of the day, it's because I'm using SDCafiine to load these new patches and for some reason that file is just not being read or regarded as a part of the "modpack" I've made for the N64 titles in question. i dunno if the file is so small that it just doesn't get loaded in or something (at less than 2kb of a file, perhaps that's just something SDcafiine just glosses over). But, maybe I'm just doing something wrong. As an example, could someone look over my config.ini for Mario Tennis and tell me if anything is wrong with it for widescreen to properly be supported?

[Keymap]
A = "A"
B = "B"
X = ""
Y = ""
START = "START"
SELECT = "SELECT" ;For debug menu
L = "L"
R = "R"
ZL = "Z"
ZR = "MENU"
LEFT = "LEFT"
RIGHT = "RIGHT"
UP = "UP"
DOWN = "DOWN"
LSTICKPUSH = "LSTICKPUSH" ;Left stick push down.
RSTICKPUSH = "RSTICKPUSH" ;Right stick push down.
LSTICK = "3DSTICK"
RSTICK = "C_UNIT"

N64Stick = "Left"

[KeymapLeft]
A = "A"
B = "B"
X = ""
Y = ""
START = "START"
L = "L"
R = "R"
ZL = "Z"
ZR = "MENU"
LEFT = "LEFT"
RIGHT = "RIGHT"
UP = "UP"
DOWN = "DOWN"
LSTICK = "C_UNIT"
RSTICK = "3DSTICK"

N64Stick = "Right"

[KeymapRight]
A = "A"
B = "B"
X = ""
Y = ""
START = "START"
L = "L"
R = "R"
ZL = "Z"
ZR = "MENU"
LEFT = "LEFT"
RIGHT = "RIGHT"
UP = "UP"
DOWN = "DOWN"
LSTICK = "3DSTICK"
RSTICK = "C_UNIT"

N64Stick = "Left"

[Cheat]
; WideScreen
Cheat0 = 2
Cheat0_Addr = 0x033CA6
Cheat0_Value = 0x3FE4
Cheat0_Bytes = 2

I know someone might say, why not invert what you're doing, put widescreen as the normal, and have SDcafiine load up in 4:3, but I'd prefer not to do that: I'd like for the vanilla menu to present all the N64 games in their original aspect ratio, and since not every game has patches yet for widescreen, I'd like for widescreen to be the option to enable by first entering the likes of SDcafiine, and I also don't want it weirdly inconsistent where some N64 games are widescreen without first booting SDcafiine, while others are still in 4:3 in that same scenario. I'm very OCD with my Wii U's setup lol. I just want it to be as perfect as possible haha.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: V800 and Maxbeta

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a lot of official n64 VC games and a few unofficial injects, and was looking to update the official ones to remove the dark filter. Is it easier to FTP into the Wii U and make these adjustment, or to just delete the games and build new injects using Tecmoon’s VC injector?

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a lot of official n64 VC games and a few unofficial injects, and was looking to update the official ones to remove the dark filter. Is it easier to FTP into the Wii U and make these adjustment, or to just delete the games and build new injects using Tecmoon’s VC injector?

It would work and would certainly be quicker, and if you are only changing the config file it would probably be fine.

It is going back a while, but from memory there is a small risk when using ftp that the Nand may corrupt, so the safest option would be to delete and reinstall.

You do have a 3rd option however.

I use loadiine for VC titles, as they don’t suffer from the same issues “proper” games do, and only install full games to the Nand or SD.

Reactions: trogdon and CORE

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would work and would certainly be quicker, and if you are only changing the config file it would probably be fine.

It is going back a while, but from memory there is a small risk when using ftp that the Nand may corrupt, so the safest option would be to delete and reinstall.

You do have a 3rd option however.

I use loadiine for VC titles, as they don’t suffer from the same issues “proper” games do, and only install full games to the Nand or SD.

I appreciate the reply!

Actually, I figured this out with FTP so I thought I'd share my steps.

1. Using the Homebrew Launcher, download the program called FTPiiU_Everywhere
2. On your computer, download your FTP browser of choice (I used Filezilla so my steps will follow this)
3. Launch FTPiiU_Everywhere on the Wii U
4. On FileZilla, enter the IP address shown on the Wii U gamepad. Enter it on the "Host" section
5. Follow the filepath for your game (if you are unsure, see the bottom of my post), all will be found around this folder /storage_usb/usr/title/00050000/
6. The next folder will start with 101 or something, see the bottom of post for specifics. You'll want to find the folder that matches that list.
7. Next go to the "Content" folder which will contain the FrameLayout.arc file metioned in OP.
8. Right click the FrameLayout.arc file and download it. It'll show on the left in Filezilla toward the bottom, I just moved it to my downloads folder.
9. Follow steps in the OP regarding how to edit the file. Only DK64 has native widescreen support, so the rest of the games all I did was remove the dark filter.
10. Once you have your edited FrameLayout.arc file saved on your computer, go back to Filezilla into the folder you were viewing, and drag the FrameLayout.arc file you edited over on top of the Wii U's version. When asked, select "Overwrite".
11. Repeat as necessary. Close out and test your games!

Text File that contains USA N64 FTP Filepaths:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/73p7k6mux3n8svm/Wii U n64 file paths FTP.rtf?dl=0

Last edited by trogdon,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to independently change the dimensions of the N64 VC on the TV screen and the Game Pad like you can with DS VC titles? I'm looking through the files available and see little hints here and there of how you might be able to do it, but to no luck. I have 2 reasons why this would be wanted:

1. For those playing on 4:3 TVs, N64 VC games, appear squished with the black bars on the side from when displayed on a widescreen television, still there. Ideally, you could make the resolution fill the screen on the TV, while keeping the Game Pad in proper 4:3 display. Not a situation that personally applies to me, but it is an issue that may exist for some people. But the real reason I'm curios is number 2.

2. I want to stretch the display of games that can be played in splitscreen multiplayer, for 2 player experiences. Ideally, I get half of the split screen stretched on the TV, and the other half stretched on the Game Pad, this way you could play say Mario Kart 64 with 2 players, and one player gets the TV to themselves, and the other gets the Game Pad to themselves. Yes, I'm aware the resolution wouldn't look great stretched out like that, this is more something I just want to see if it can be accomplished.

Sadly though, I can't find any way to independently alter these dimensions and positions, as far as I can tell, it's all just mirrored, what you do to one screen happens to the other. I would imagine that somewhere something could be changed to make these values independently able to be altered, but I've had no luck finding any such part of the files that would allow this.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is there any way to independently change the dimensions of the N64 VC on the TV screen and the Game Pad like you can with DS VC titles? I'm looking through the files available and see little hints here and there of how you might be able to do it, but to no luck. I have 2 reasons why this would be wanted:

1. For those playing on 4:3 TVs, N64 VC games, appear squished with the black bars on the side from when displayed on a widescreen television, still there. Ideally, you could make the resolution fill the screen on the TV, while keeping the Game Pad in proper 4:3 display. Not a situation that personally applies to me, but it is an issue that may exist for some people. But the real reason I'm curios is number 2.

2. I want to stretch the display of games that can be played in splitscreen multiplayer, for 2 player experiences. Ideally, I get half of the split screen stretched on the TV, and the other half stretched on the Game Pad, this way you could play say Mario Kart 64 with 2 players, and one player gets the TV to themselves, and the other gets the Game Pad to themselves. Yes, I'm aware the resolution wouldn't look great stretched out like that, this is more something I just want to see if it can be accomplished.

Sadly though, I can't find any way to independently alter these dimensions and positions, as far as I can tell, it's all just mirrored, what you do to one screen happens to the other. I would imagine that somewhere something could be changed to make these values independently able to be altered, but I've had no luck finding any such part of the files that would allow this.

As you know from this tutorial, you edit the "frame_mask" to remove the dark filter, instead, edit the "frame" option which is just above it, and pay attention to the "Transformation => Scale" option by default it's "(1:1)". You need to play with these settings to fill up the screen. So do incremental increases, for example (1:01:1), this will increase the horizontal image.
Added Notes: It's 1:1 = X:Y (horizontal:vertical)

I recommend using CEMU emulator to test your games when playing around with the scale, because it will save you a big headache having to copy and install on your WiiU just to see the results.

Last edited by xs4all,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you know from this tutorial, you edit the "frame_mask" to remove the dark filter, instead, edit the "frame" option which is just above it, and pay attention to the "Transformation => Scale" option by default it's "(1:1)". You need to play with these settings to fill up the screen. So do incremental increases, for example (1:01:1), this will increase the horizontal image.
Added Notes: It's 1:1 = X:Y (horizontal:vertical)

I recommend using CEMU emulator to test your games when playing around with the scale, because it will save you a big headache having to copy and install on your WiiU just to see the results.

I think you misunderstand what I'm looking for. I know how to do all of that. I know how to make the display stretch, the real issue is that I want the TV display positioned so only the right half of the screen is on the TV, while the display on the Gamepad is only the left half of the screen. I'm not seeing a way to independently adjust the position on both the TV and DRC for N64 VC titles.

Also, this wouldn't be a fix for the 4:3 TV issue, as you can adjust the stretch of the screen, but it applies to both screens, so sure you could get it to properly fill a 4:3 TV display by stretching the screen to fill the screen, but since it's not independent, this would cause the DRC display to be stretched to 16:9.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically you want extended desktop with half the screen on the TV and the other half on the gamepad but also keep aspect ratio for both screens.

Interesting concept.

Yeah ideally what I want, is to stretch just the horizontal display (for 2 player splitscreens that cut the screen vertically) so it's twice as wide, this should mirror and apply to both screens, the stretching isn't really the issue for what my desire is here, it's the ability to position where the screen displays independently on the TV and GamePad, left half on one, right half on the other. The idea is I'm trying to trick old 2 player splitscreen VC titles to seemingly make use of the Wii U's capabilities and giving each player their own full screen. Only problem though is while stretching the screen isn't an issue, I can't find any way to adjust these positions independently. (If a 2 player splitscreen game, cuts the screen in half horizontally, then the screen would need to be stretched vertically, with the top half only being displayed on one screen, and the bottom half on the other. If I can get one kind of split screen handled in the way I want, then it wouldn't be hard to get the other method of split screen handled as well)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So i readed somewhere that there was a cheat converted for wiiu vc n64 game for mario tennis to have the unlockable gbc characters on boot so i wonder could anyone actualy convert this cheat for wiiu vc? it removes the wandering grey squares on winback and the game does play when injected here is the list of the cheat file

the cheat table and files have a download link on the description.

Reactions: CORE

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So either we're doing something wrong or the cheat functionality simply isn't active
The cheat functionally clearly isn't active as none of the cheats in ini files from nintendo are applied. What if we don't apply cheats but modify the [RomHack] section through?

Let's try by changing mario karts [RomHack] section to this, which a talented rom hacker gave me:
Code:
[RomHack]
Count=8
Address0 = 0x2490
Type0 = 4
Value0 = a8: 24 19 00 02 24 19 00 02

Address1 = 0x2890
Type1 = 4
Value1 = a8: 24 0A 00 02 24 0A 00 02

Address2 = 0x2638
Type2 = 4
Value2 = a8: 24 09 00 02 24 09 00 02

;noa bts 471
Address3 = 0x1238bb
Type3 = 1
Value3 = 0x1c

;Widescreen
Address4 = 0x12322C
Type4 = 1
Value4 = 0x3F

Address5 = 0x12322D
Type5 = 1
Value5 = 0xE3

Address6 = 0x12322E
Type6 = 1
Value6 = 0x8E

Address7 = 0x12322F
Type7 = 1
Value7 = 0x39

IMG_20220223_214749.jpg
Note that this is a proof of concept working on single player only!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Code:
[Cheat]
;60fps
Cheat0 = 2
Cheat0_Addr = 0x1890
Cheat0_Value = 0x24190001
Cheat0_Bytes = 4

Cheat1 = 2
Cheat1_Addr = 0x1894
Cheat1_Value = 0x24190001
Cheat1_Bytes = 4

Cheat2 = 2
Cheat2_Addr = 0xFE3
Cheat2_Value = 0x0
Cheat2_Bytes = 1

Cheat3 = 2
Cheat3_Addr = 0x14CF
Cheat3_Value = 0x1
Cheat3_Bytes = 1

Cheat4 = 2
Cheat4_Addr = 0x1C90
Cheat4_Value = 0x240A0001
Cheat4_Bytes = 4

Cheat5 = 2
Cheat5_Addr = 0x1C94
Cheat5_Value = 0x240A0001
Cheat5_Bytes = 4

Cheat6 = 2
Cheat6_Addr = 0x1A38
Cheat6_Value = 0x24090001
Cheat6_Bytes = 4

Cheat7 = 2
Cheat7_Addr = 0x1A3C
Cheat7_Value = 0x24090001
Cheat7_Bytes = 4

Cheat8 = 2
Cheat8_Addr = 0x122CBB
Cheat8_Value = 0x1C
Cheat8_Bytes = 1

Cheat9 = 2
Cheat9_Addr = 0xAC5D4
Cheat9_Value = 0x24010006
Cheat9_Bytes = 4

;Enable 3/4 Player Music
Cheat10 = 2
Cheat10_Addr = 0x28EC9C
Cheat10_Value = 0x240E0001
Cheat10_Bytes = 4

Cheat11 = 2
Cheat11_Addr = 0x28F9C4
Cheat11_Value = 0x24090001
Cheat11_Bytes = 4

;Faster Load Times
Cheat12 = 2
Cheat12_Addr = 0xEA6D2
Cheat12_Value = 0xD
Cheat12_Bytes = 1

;WideScreen
Cheat13 = 2
Cheat13_Addr = 0x150148
Cheat13_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat13_Bytes = 2

Cheat14 = 2
Cheat14_Addr = 0x0946BA
Cheat14_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat14_Bytes = 2

Cheat15 = 2
Cheat15_Addr = 0x0947EE
Cheat15_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat15_Bytes = 2
Thanks a lot for this. One question through: What exactly is "Enable 3/4 Player Music" doing? Also note that "60fps" has unwanted side effects (like making the penguins at sherbert land faster). So here's a version without that game physics changing cheat:
Code:
[Cheat]
;Enable 3/4 Player Music
Cheat0 = 2
Cheat0_Addr = 0x28EC9C
Cheat0_Value = 0x240E0001
Cheat0_Bytes = 4

Cheat1 = 2
Cheat1_Addr = 0x28F9C4
Cheat1_Value = 0x24090001
Cheat1_Bytes = 4

;Faster Load Times
Cheat2 = 2
Cheat2_Addr = 0xEA6D2
Cheat2_Value = 0xD
Cheat2_Bytes = 1

;WideScreen
Cheat3 = 2
Cheat3_Addr = 0x150148
Cheat3_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat3_Bytes = 2

Cheat4 = 2
Cheat4_Addr = 0x0946BA
Cheat4_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat4_Bytes = 2

Cheat5 = 2
Cheat5_Addr = 0x0947EE
Cheat5_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat5_Bytes = 2

//EDIT: Found this which shows your 60 FPS patch is at least 3 patches combined. So I extracted the not FPS relevant parts out of it and changed last byte back to 0x02 so it works with 30 FPS:
Code:
[Cheat]
;Enable 3/4 Player Music
Cheat0 = 2
Cheat0_Addr = 0x28EC9C
Cheat0_Value = 0x240E0001
Cheat0_Bytes = 4

Cheat1 = 2
Cheat1_Addr = 0x28F9C4
Cheat1_Value = 0x24090001
Cheat1_Bytes = 4

;Faster Load Times
Cheat2 = 2
Cheat2_Addr = 0xEA6D2
Cheat2_Value = 0xD
Cheat2_Bytes = 1

;WideScreen
Cheat3 = 2
Cheat3_Addr = 0x150148
Cheat3_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat3_Bytes = 2

Cheat4 = 2
Cheat4_Addr = 0x0946BA
Cheat4_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat4_Bytes = 2

Cheat5 = 2
Cheat5_Addr = 0x0947EE
Cheat5_Value = 0x3FE3
Cheat5_Bytes = 2

;multiplayer fix two players
Cheat6 = 2
Cheat6_Addr = 0x1A38
Cheat6_Value = 0x24090002
Cheat6_Bytes = 4

Cheat7 = 2
Cheat7_Addr = 0x1A3C
Cheat7_Value = 0x24090002
Cheat7_Bytes = 4

;multiplayer fix 3 and 4 players
Cheat8 = 2
Cheat8_Addr = 0x1C90
Cheat8_Value = 0x240A0002
Cheat8_Bytes = 4

Cheat9 = 2
Cheat9_Addr = 0x1C94
Cheat9_Value = 0x240A0002
Cheat9_Bytes = 4

//EDIT²: Had a talk to some rom hackers (OverKart 64 Discord) again and they told me that all these 60 FPS patches are WIP. One of the issues with using them is that they speedup the gameplay, so you have to tell the emulator to run at 50% speed to counterfight that. This might not be possible with Wii U VC and comes with its own issues (audio and stuff).

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: ArgonUK and CORE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.