Gaming Will Pokemon Incorporate Avg. Pokedex Height?

Will Pokemon Incorporate Avg. Pokedex Height?

• yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • i hope we get different sizes

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Stadium was turn-based...
Err...fair enough. My attempt to demonstrate something different for the franchise I guess. Game Freak's been trying to break out of the same ol' formula (at least for combat) for a while.

There was Pokemon XD, but that was indeed received somewhat negatively. Tech wasn't quite there (and that was still turn-based).

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the reasoning behind this speculation is fairly solid. Game Freak did have Pokemon Stars running on Switch at one point, but it was basically only a US/UM port to get them familiar with the hardware. The success of BotW and Odyssey are what inspired GF to make Pokemon Switch a "radical departure" from the other core games.
Where did you get this info? The only thing I heard regarding gamefreak and the switch pokemon game is that they told fans not too expect too much from it

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
if Nintendo/Gamefreak dont use turn based system its the end of Nintendo/Gamefreak

why change something which has been such a success for all this years.

if you want real time... go and play another game.
Because times change. Turn-based strategy games were the norm for all the RPGs back in 1996. With the second generation, the mechanics were already old because everyone else moved to better game mechanics. Plus, the games are very easy. I get that they want to aim to a younger demographic, but the last games were way too easy. I don't know anybody in real life who didn't break through all the game obstacles with their starter, the legendary pokemon and HM slaves.

I doubt they will ever change it though. Game Freak admitted how they never want to run any risk with their franchise, even leaving the spinoffs to other developers. It took them 17 years to let the player move diagonally.

Answering the first question: I don't think they will. We already know the Pokedex isn't canon (just look at Furret).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There was Pokemon XD, but that was indeed received somewhat negatively.
I'm 100% certain that videogame "journalists" aren't allowed to shit on Pokemon RSE and forward so they pushed all the anger to the spinoffs.

In some reviews I read about XD they mention "kid-friendly" as negative point. Lmao.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Where did you get this info? The only thing I heard regarding gamefreak and the switch pokemon game is that they told fans not too expect too much from it

Whole video is pretty interesting if you want to watch from the start (Stars info at 2:10). Here's a shorter one specifically on the battle system:

Last edited by Xzi,

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im curious to see this in real time

iu

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the reasoning behind this speculation is fairly solid. Game Freak did have Pokemon Stars running on Switch at one point, but it was basically only a US/UM port to get them familiar with the hardware. The success of BotW and Odyssey are what inspired GF to make Pokemon Switch a "radical departure" from the other core games.
they said radicaly diferent was sun and moon because of gyms.. wich technicaly didnt change much, intead of a gym you get a single trial guy and a beffier pokemon, so in the end very little changed from the radicaly diferent sun and moon lol

D

Deleted User

I want something more to the current games, less like Pokken, but definitely need something to twist it up. Hell, maybe they can finally bring Pokemon Fusion (the manga) into the mix, though that would be ALOT of work.

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the community's thoughts on the possibility of real-time combat with pause actions (trainer move callouts and items)? A lot of people on the interwebs say this is the direction they might be moving with Pokemon Switch.
Don't know why but I'd like to see something kind of like dissidia but starts of small-scale and gets larger areas as you and your pokemon progress.

You would control the pokemon and issue commands from a small distance.
I know it sounds stupid but having large and different terrains/maps that can change the way you move around and types of attacks you use has been what I've always expected from a far of future pokemon game.

Reactions: Xzi

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the community's thoughts on the possibility of real-time combat with pause actions (trainer move callouts and items)? A lot of people on the interwebs say this is the direction they might be moving with Pokemon Switch.
that's a different genre and removes a lot of the pokemon from pokemon. This is a description of pokemon rumble, and I'm not a huge fan of that game. A new spin-off would be fine, but I'd like at least one pokemon game that still felt like a pokemon game.

The desire to not have any more traditional RPGs makes me sad. Do people hate thoughtful strategy games that much? I personally feel sad about how the ff7 remake is going to be more kingdom hearts than ff7. I love kingdom hearts, but not everything has to be kingdom hearts.

Last edited by osaka35,

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
My uncle works for Nintendo. He says the battle system is the same as Pokémon Go. You just jab the screen repeatedly until the other pokemon dies /s

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My uncle works for Nintendo. He says the battle system is the same as Pokémon Go. You just jab the screen repeatedly until the other pokemon dies /s
See, that's not believable. Moving slightly away from turn-based after like eight generations of the same combat seems a lot more likely. Stars would be out by now if they were complacent about it, it would've been a port with more texture clarity and that's about it.

Last edited by Xzi,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a HORRIBLE idea. It sounds horribly unbalanced. And the competitive scene would be a mess. There's no way they're going this route. That rumor has to be fake as crap.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a HORRIBLE idea. It sounds horribly unbalanced. And the competitive scene would be a mess. There's no way they're going this route. That rumor has to be fake as crap.
Frankly, balance is not great now. Specific Pokemon and specific movesets are god-tier, then there's everything else. Previously mentioned by Game Freak was the possibility of returning to basics as well, probably meaning a reduction in the total amount of available moves/items/etc. Balance would be a lot better IMO, because again, you're not as limited by type disadvantages, skill will actually matter to some extent instead of relying entirely on RNG.

Basic attacks/blocks/grabs/counters can all have the exact same damage values on them or scale with a certain stat, that part is easy to balance. It's the special attacks that have to be number tweaked the most.

Last edited by Xzi,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, balance is not great now. Specific Pokemon and specific movesets are god-tier, then there's everything else. Previously mentioned by Game Freak was the possibility of returning to basics as well, probably meaning a reduction in the total amount of available moves/items/etc. Balance would be a lot better IMO, because again, you're not as limited by type disadvantages, skill will actually matter to some extent instead of relying entirely on RNG.
Sure but I believe it would make it REALLY unbalanced. If it becomes ANYTHING like Pokken, it won't be good. I can guarantee that. Also, all those pokemon you caught? Transferring them over won't feel right. They definitely won't go down this route. It's almost silly to do so.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure but I believe it would make it REALLY unbalanced. If it becomes ANYTHING like Pokken, it won't be good. I can guarantee that. Also, all those pokemon you caught? Transferring them over won't feel right. They definitely won't go down this route. It's almost silly to do so.
Pokken is too fast-paced. It's a good example of real-time fighting, but no, it won't be the exact same system in Pokemon Switch. The block -> grab -> attack triangle would be probably the biggest carry-over, but that doesn't limit the combat possibilities from there.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH the pokemon formula isn't stale (at least for me), I still love the original pokemon tunr based battles/formula, I didn't like Pokemon Sun and Moon/Ultra Sun and Ultra moon because in general they felt like unfinished/unpolished games. Even now I'm playing through Pokemon White 2 and Pokemon Platinum (First playthrough of white 2 and I'm replaying Pokemon Platinum for like the millionth time lol) because I genuinely still enjoy the pokemon turn based formula. For the switch game really all I want is a much better story (like gen 5 type story pls) and the same feel/visuals/style of the pokemon stadium/colleseum/battle revolution games (An announcer would be pretty cool, with the option to turn it off for people who don't want it) as well as a hard mode akin to gen 5's challenge mode, retaining the same turn based battles it's had in the past

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokken is too fast-paced. It's a good example of real-time fighting, but no, it won't be the exact same system in Pokemon Switch. The block -> grab -> attack triangle would be probably the biggest carry-over, but that doesn't limit the combat possibilities from there.
Nah I don't like that and I don't think most people would. It should stay turned based. Even BotW didn't change things up that much. But even that change made the game "eh" for me in comparison to other zelda games. Putting in such a combat system would absolutely ruin the game.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Whole video is pretty interesting if you want to watch from the start (Stars info at 2:10). Here's a shorter one specifically on the battle system:

The first video isn't even reputable because at 2:10 where you told me to go is just a fake rumor/leak, if you look at the bottom it says that Blizzard is preparing a heartstone port for the swtich but Blizzard themselves said"There are no plans to move Heartston to the Nintendo Switch"
https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/02/12/hearthstone-nintendo-switch/
Dont use rumors/disproved leaks as a reputable source

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D