Hacking Question Will Switch Hacking will allow us to install Android ?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Previous console-linux ports didn't show much long term interest, except maybe PS3
Yeah but, I wouldn't want Linux 4 nothing either, I only tried it on Xbox original, but it was pointless, XBMC was the best thing ever made.

Now in terms of android, not a single gaming console until now would need android for anything. Vita hardware is a crap and you can buy a cheaper phone with more performance with android...

But Switch is a true real tablet like that is still considerably powerful and with the best handheld controllers ever made, even though they could been a lot better...

I think Switch is the first gaming console where android would be a relevant feature to have making it into fairly powerful tablet or run Switch top of the line handheld games.

EDIT: If well done using all the performance of Switch on android with all hardware working good, it would make a better gaming tablet than Nvidia Shield Tablet which nowadays is getting a lot of performance trouble specially for having only 2GB of ram and only like 600MB free with nothing installed, some games nowadays require minimum 2GB of ram and even though they could perform kinda good on it, there is a lot of stuttering specially while loading new textures and then its fast again I bet its a lot of ram issues and the fact that its also using old CPU cores with no X64 which Tegra X1 have.

Last edited by guily6669,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think its clear that this discussion has basically divided people between those who need Android and those who don't. The actual question asked in the OP has gone out the window. :lol:

His answer is in this thread somewhere, amongst all the mess. :)

I personally don't care about it because I have about 4 or 5 perfectly capable Android devices in my house that I can game on if I want to, in multiple different ways whether that's on the TV or a portable device. I guess someone else who doesn't have this same luxury would like to see Android on the Switch though, so that's a fair opinion.

Even then.... I don't understand why you wouldn't want your Switch to be inter-operable with all your other devices....

I suppose if someone out there wants to make this happen then I shouldn't really care. It's an option I don't have to use. I guess any potential issue for me would be if a dev was neglecting another project I was more interested in, in favour of this.

Well to be honest the kind of people who are going to port Android are unlikely to be the same kind of people who'd be porting Dolphin.

But I think you've hit the crux of the reason for a lot of the anti-Android rhetoric. It's my view that there are two main types of people who are against Android - theres those that just don't like Android and therefore would be against it on anything, and then there's the people who love to watch a 'scene' grow, who enjoy waiting months and months for small updates to buggy ports of emulators, open source games and media players that work just fine on more mature systems. And having everything available all at once with a port of Android pretty much pisses all over that fire. And there is a genuine chance that if Android is available, then developers might think "well what's the point in porting kodi/doom/quake if it's already available on Android". So in that way, yes it's a threat to the scene... although I'm sure there'll still be a few dye-hard devs who will be wanting to push the device with high-end emulators that don't work so well with the overhead of Android.

Personally, I don't really give two hoots about watching a scene develop; I'm all about instant gratification, and and if there was an Android port available I'd buy a switch in an instant.

Last edited by Pleng,

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvidia Shield runs Android right? It should be easy to port it to Switch... and run some of the exclusive Nintendo games made for Shield (Mario Galaxy).

Food

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes because there's no such thing as dual booting, now, is there?

Also would love to find one of these tablets for half the price.... Presumably they're dockable, with detachable controls and just as powerful? Because if they're not then "get a cheaper tablet" isn't even a real option.
HA! powerful good one the switch uses a X1 CPU plenty of arm cpus out there can destroy it

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
HA! powerful good one the switch uses a X1 CPU plenty of arm cpus out there can destroy it

Ok that's great news. Please send me a link to a tablet as powerful as the Switch that also features a TV dock and detachable controllers (to be honest they don't really need to be detachable... Built-in will be fine) and I'll make a purchase *right now*. Might even give you a little finders-fee to show my appreciation.

Reactions: DarthDub

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah like a 600 eur samsung S8... Even the best cheaper snapdragon 835 smartphone are around 500€ and tablets cost even more, the bigger the screen the more it costs per hardware...
Ok that's great news. Please send me a link to a tablet as powerful as the Switch that also features a TV dock and detachable controllers (to be honest they don't really need to be detachable... Built-in will be fine) and I'll make a purchase *right now*. Might even give you a little finders-fee to show my appreciation.
Undocked anything with like a snapdragon 835 is a bit ahead Switch, its arm CPU are way more powerful, the GPU probably can do similar to docked, but won't also have the good support of nvidia stuff, also they are a lot more power efficient.

Snapdragon 835 Adreno 540 I think it promises up to 567 Gflops, now in real world performance I don't know where it would stay against Switch, also maybe not a single snapdragon 835 based device out there can stay at full clocks because the cooling suck, now if it was on the switch cooler it could stay at full clocks.

ps: But for the price of Switch, I don't think you can get any comparable performance tablet at the moment, also who would want to spend 500€ on a tablet for entertainment? Switch would do a way better all-in-one device.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
His answer is in this thread somewhere, amongst all the mess. :)

Even then.... I don't understand why you wouldn't want your Switch to be inter-operable with all your other devices....

Well to be honest the kind of people who are going to port Android are unlikely to be the same kind of people who'd be porting Dolphin.

But I think you've hit the crux of the reason for a lot of the anti-Android rhetoric. It's my view that there are two main types of people who are against Android - theres those that just don't like Android and therefore would be against it on anything, and then there's the people who love to watch a 'scene' grow, who enjoy waiting months and months for small updates to buggy ports of emulators, open source games and media players that work just fine on more mature systems. And having everything available all at once with a port of Android pretty much pisses all over that fire. And there is a genuine chance that if Android is available, then developers might think "well what's the point in porting kodi/doom/quake if it's already available on Android". So in that way, yes it's a threat to the scene... although I'm sure there'll still be a few dye-hard devs who will be wanting to push the device with high-end emulators that don't work so well with the overhead of Android.

Personally, I don't really give two hoots about watching a scene develop; I'm all about instant gratification, and and if there was an Android port available I'd buy a switch in an instant.

First "dye hard devs"... I am now imagining 90s hacker films with tie dye hippy tshirts but for the switch, mainly by way of a hacking montage. Good times.

Anyway I take a slightly different approach.
I don't think android on the switch will damage the chances of people going http://catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html on the Switch like they did on the GBA, DS and parts of the PSP*. I think the android being in the world damages the chances of that, or at least on something as pedestrian as the Switch**.
My evidence for this is the end of the DS scene (compare the activity on something like pocketheaven or gbadev with the rise of IOS, or indeed look at what several of the notable devs on the DS did during that time) and general meh that was the 3ds one -- if the DS could do things well and the PSP even better (give or take the asterisk below) then the 3ds should have done stunningly... what did we get instead.

*the PSP was home to a lot of "compile and hope" ports of things because it just about had enough power for it to make sense. It then had the effect of things being far short of their theoretical potential, though still playable enough.

**hard as it may be for some to imagine but the GBA and DS were class leading devices, the switch is basically another tablet. Has some cool features for some around here, mainly as hardware developers seem to be smoking all the crack before trying to clone an iphone, but still just a tablet.

As far as "scene developing" then I am of the position these days that it is not about the device -- it is about the code that results, and I think I might have always been about that for if I look back I have usually been about finding if not the best option then at least a really workable one for people looking to do things and will dismiss things if they fail to do that.

I also forgot to include another of my points I used in earlier switch and android discussions in the earlier parts of this thread. That being ease of coding -- for whatever reason not everybody cares to use C, C++ and assembly to code cool things, fair enough really as it is an awful lot to ram into your head and requires a fairly strange way of thinking. Android however gives people far higher level languages which also gives people the chance to do cool stuff -- back on the DS in 2007 I had google maps on my DS https://gbatemp.net/threads/treasures-of-gaia-v0-2-released.58659/ , and that was cool and nobody argued otherwise. I would want someone to do something similar on the Switch and to take whatever website/web service the kids are using these days and write a little wrapper so it works with whatever controller options we have here. Most of those don't need hardcore programming languages to do and the end result is something cool.

Yeah but, I wouldn't want Linux 4 nothing either, I only tried it on Xbox original, but it was pointless, XBMC was the best thing ever made.
Depending upon when you joined the XBMC party then Linux on the xbox would have been strange and hard to see any great value in. That said I do have to stick up for it -- if you knew Linux as it was at the time and played to its limits it was good stuff, if you joined it more the xbox scene was winding down then it would have been worse still. I would say it is kind of like linux on the raspberry pi today -- it is not going to replace your PC but you can certainly get a lot of value from it.

With that said XBMC/kodi was truly amazing. I don't know if we are going to see it top lists of "influences" in years to come but I would happily say that even otherwise completely unrelated homebrew scenes owe and awful awful lot to it.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine, though, being able to sell your Android tablet, and potentially even your Shield TV, and just have it all in one device. Better yet, imagine being able to have not bought them at all and have saved the money
Also media playback! And a lot more freedom!

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By the way, this would likely also enable Shield games.

Portal
Half-Life 2
HL2 Episode 1
Resident Evil 5
DOOM 3 BFG

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With that said XBMC/kodi was truly amazing. I don't know if we are going to see it top lists of "influences" in years to come but I would happily say that even otherwise completely unrelated homebrew scenes owe and awful awful lot to it.
XBMC have been the masterpiece for years also considered the best media center ever made for a few years, which is so amazing that it started as the main top of the line OS of hacked Xbox original and went further making it into multimedia pcs like in the living room.

XBMC on Switch would also be epic I loved it so much that I used my Xbox original all day long for so many years playing online radios with the awesome virtualization effects in it, I had music even all night while sleeping :)

Too bad Xbox360 was never like the original Xbox, I think they never get full hardware access in it so we could have XBMC only emulated. FSD looks cool but has nothing in it and I never like the Aurora which is more like a gama manager only OS... ;)

Ps: I think XBMC have been the golden era of hacked consoles, it was so cool that I even used a lot more the super cool extra functions than actually play Xbox games that even got secundary 4 me :P

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
XBMC have been the masterpiece for years also considered the best media center ever made for a few years, which is so amazing that it started as the main top of the line OS of hacked Xbox original and went further making it into multimedia pcs like in the living room.

XBMC on Switch would also be epic I loved it so much that I used my Xbox original all day long for so many years playing online radios with the awesome virtualization effects in it, I had music even all night while sleeping :)

Too bad Xbox360 was never like the original Xbox, I think they never get full hardware access in it so we could have XBMC only emulated. FSD looks cool but has nothing in it and I never like the Aurora which is more like a gama manager only OS... ;)

Ps: I think XBMC have been the golden era of hacked consoles, it was so cool that I even used a lot more the super cool extra functions than actually play Xbox games that even got secundary 4 me :P

There was full hardware access, or as near as counts as full. The original King Kong hack being the first but it really taking off with JTAG and then with the RGH family. Those however came with serious downsides as far as online play (which was apparently essential for many).

I would also agree the original xbox was a golden era for that sort of thing -- a powerful computing box that worked on my TV? Practically unheard of at the time. Also it was not like my TV came with VGA in or my PC came with TV out (I went out of my way a few years later to get svideo out. I don't know why the wii took off the way it did but I doubt we will ever see something like it again, at least this side of a radical shift -- if VR platforms continue to be filled DRM, locks and unpleasantness I can see them being hacked 6 ways from Sunday but as far as powerful computing devices either in my hand or able to slot in a little box under my TV then device makers have realised it is there and chips have caught up enough to power them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Thats how high it can get