Hacking Question Will Switch Hacking will allow us to install Android ?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just one thing you could have dual boot rgh 4 online too. But even without it they actually made a paid XbLive emulator for RGH consoles thought it wasn't a good option paying like 30eur or something like that for 24hours of online play (counts only the time you are online, not 1 day only), but it could also be used on banned Xbox 360.

Basically it had everything stealth and emulated working on moded consoles and they had a huge amount of unbanned X360 keys so you always had the time you paid for even if your key would be banned they signed you another right away.

I'm sure everyone using this kind of expensive services + pay for XbLive gold which I don't think would be included, no idea, anyone with it would only use completely modded games online full of cheats to kill and screw normal players games.

Ps: and no those services are not like Xlink or others that do Lan thought internet, they really made RGH 360 with FSD to go online on XbLive with hacked games.

Last edited by guily6669,

Samus20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why hack a switch when your PC can run emulators? Why hack a switch when your PC/3ds/Vita/etc can run homebrew? Why hack your switch if you can use a browser on your phone? Why hack a switch when your Chromecast can stream Netflix and YouTube?

This is exactly how a lot of you sound. Which is totally cool, you can do that, I'm not saying you can't. But if you're gonna have the above mindset then there is literally no reason for any of us to hack our switches because there's easier, more accessible options out there.

Personally, having Ubuntu or Android on my switch sounds amazing. Why? Cause hook it up to a monitor and now it's a computer (more or less). Why would I do that? Because I want to.

It just sounds cool, why are some of you just so...ugh.. nasty about it? Idk if nasty is even the word, but just chill out man.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Why hack a switch when your PC can run emulators? Why hack a switch when your PC/3ds/Vita/etc can run homebrew? Why hack your switch if you can use a browser on your phone? Why hack a switch when your Chromecast can stream Netflix and YouTube?

This is exactly how a lot of you sound. Which is totally cool, you can do that, I'm not saying you can't. But if you're gonna have the above mindset then there is literally no reason for any of us to hack our switches because there's easier, more accessible options out there.

Personally, having Ubuntu or Android on my switch sounds amazing. Why? Cause hook it up to a monitor and now it's a computer (more or less). Why would I do that? Because I want to.

It just sounds cool, why are some of you just so...ugh.. nasty about it? Idk if nasty is even the word, but just chill out man.
You make no sense.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Made sense to me. Pointed out the absurdity of some, pointed out a valid use case for doing such things.

As far as "nasty" goes I saw it as hesitation in picking a word. I too have had troubles in figuring out what the word to describe such actions/mindsets is. It is not quite hostility but it is certainly more than ambivalence or indifference, and reaches the point of a measure of considered opposition in some cases. I find such opposition frankly quite bizarre for reasons I have already covered (it works, ease of coding, massive extant library that has never been matched by another homebrew scene and will not be matched here, massive ability to chain applications together for personal specific use cases, dual boot is a thing that can be done) but still wish to at least attempt to understand how it arose.
I think Pleng's comments on the previous page might capture some of the feelings
and then there's the people who love to watch a 'scene' grow, who enjoy waiting months and months for small updates to buggy ports of emulators, open source games and media players that work just fine on more mature systems. And having everything available all at once with a port of Android pretty much pisses all over that fire. And there is a genuine chance that if Android is available, then developers might think "well what's the point in porting kodi/doom/quake if it's already available on Android"
In that case though it is a losing battle if that is what is though. Android is there, it has happened, it is not going away...
I can see some dev somewhere thinking about doing something for the switch and then going "meh, android exists", coding after all being all about being lazy or allowing your future selves to be lazy. Why you should have that as a worry I do not know -- it is unlikely to mean you can't play your chosen games in a more than playable fashion.
From where I sit anyone in that position is the proverbial coyote that is off the cliff and has not quite realised it yet.

I can not rule out there ever being another tight knit, tight code and otherwise world leading homebrew scene like we saw on the GBA, DS, PSP, Xbox and Wii. However I am seeing nothing the Switch has that is likely to see that happen again, and much of what was in place in the world that allowed those to happen in the first place are no longer in play -- we have loads of cheap, open, variously portable, highly developed devices of significant power, means of easy monetisation and common screens that can take a variety of common/useful inputs. Indeed the only way I can see Switch homebrew being more than a curio and the domain of the demoscene is for something like Android to be ported to it. If someone has a better suggestion for something with an existing library of code then I am all ears -- Android is far from the perfect ecosystem and there is much I intensely dislike about it but as far as "getting stuff done" is concerned it is a very good choice, maybe even the best one (arm debian is the next, or maybe one of the touchscreen focused spinoffs thereof, but it is a distant second).
I would also still maintain that much of what I claim here is not extrapolation or hypotheticals but what we witnessed when the 3ds finally fell, what we saw at the end of the DS and PSP homebrew scenes and the general non events that were most of the post xbox home consoles.

I absolutely want to see more code that lawyers, guns and money would never normally allow to happen, it is one of the main things that sees me still following sites such as this, but at the same time I have to be realistic about the ways such things come about.

Reactions: Samus20XX

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly Windows only works on Qualcomm SoCs.
It sucks anyway lol... The Snapdragon has nice native performance but when you run a true X64 APP emulated in wind10 it goes worse than the worse current modern intel crap chip that no one even cares for...

Windows store is a joke and you won't have luck playing most PC games as most 3D technologies are not supported emulated, I don't know at the latest windows arm release, but I bet it's the same crap...

4 me android is the best on handheld and tablet devices... Even though there's still a lot of crap on Android it has given so many problems on all my devices...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Whats the sense in dual booting with 32GB storage
if the switch had 64gb or 128 that would make more sense
You do realize that Android doesn't take that much right?
I got Android 7.1 running on my Samsung phone, taking only 3.5GB.
Also, the Switch's internal memory doesn't get expanded by floppy disks either.

LG G2 ran lollipop
i love how you dont know crap. if you read what i wrote i said that newer versions of android use a lot more space than older versions

the lg g2 ran lollipop, a 5 year old OS

learn to read and comprehend
Lollipop is 4 years old and you can still buy a device running it.

Last edited by Yepi69,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
No I made perfect sense. You're too dense to get it, you're part of the problem.
Dah, you're so cute when you're mad. Your post was nonsense.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That says more about you.

Android on switch would be quite cool. Windows 10 on ARM would be very cool.

https://www.techradar.com/news/hackers-have-got-windows-10-on-arm-running-on-a-lumia-950-smartphone
No, not really. The first part of his post was irrelevant. This isn't about hacking the Switch. Asking why you want to install Android, or any other OS, on a dedicated gaming machine isn't wrong. I'm not saying you're stupid for doing so. The amount of salt here isn't surprising though.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dah, you're so cute when you're mad. Your post was nonsense.
His post made sense to me. He was referring to the whole "why hack a console when you can get TV dongles for cheap", except I think he was trying to relate it back to "why run android on this when you can buy a tablet"

Tsubakiandou

Mystery member
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
let's accept people have diferent taste? some people wont want android on switch wether is gets made or not depends if someone is interested we dont have to agree to putting android or some version of it on the switch just that people would want it to play specific games/homebrew made throught it, sure people can buy a tablet of a cheap phone but the idea of have the switch already and taking full advantage of its specs is what is interesting.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
let's accept people have diferent taste? some people wont want android on switch wether is gets made or not depends if someone is interested we dont have to agree to putting android or some version of it on the switch just that people would want it to play specific games/homebrew made throught it, sure people can buy a tablet of a cheap phone but the idea of have the switch already and taking full advantage of its specs is what is interesting.
Different taste or not, its still gonna get made. Why?
Because the minute the console came out with Nvidia Tegra chipsets and has a tablet like shaped figure, people immediately thought about it, can't say I haven't either.
There's literally no downside to it too, since Nintendo doesn't want to include Netflix, Youtube and the likes yet

Tsubakiandou

Mystery member
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Different taste or not, its still gonna get made. Why?
Because the minute the console came out with Nvidia Tegra chipsets and has a tablet like shaped figure, people immediately thought about it, can't say I haven't either.
There's literally no downside to it too, since Nintendo doesn't want to include Netflix, Youtube and the likes yet

what harm can come from it if someone does make it? i know neither you or I will so if it happens it happens its not up to us and there are many different reasons that it can be used like gaming/workflow/drawing there are tons of apps that do this and expanding that library past just what the switch provides and homebrew alone makes this great with the touch screen we have so i say why not it wont affect anyone in a bad way.

and if it does get made dont expect it right away i would say we are a long way off for someone to want to take on android to switch or to even spark some interest but when it comes there are plenty of games that could be great from android in fact there are several games that are android and steam that alone should be good in its own merit like oxenfree, pubg, dont starve, animal crossing which i know lots of people would love even if its just from android, fire emblem, reigns,reigns her majesty, FF15PocketEdition, OperaOmnia, Zyon.

the list goes on but the reason i say it could take awhile is the lack of interest in devs atm since everyone is waiting on Team EXE to release there hardware so they can 1 up them which doesnt bother me since i personally wont be actively working on porting it but when and if it does we can use so much more that would never be on the switch.

sorry for teh wall of text.

Reactions: Yepi69

MDR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets see you port kitkat to boot on the tegra lol

good luck with that
WTF.
I love to see things like "what if we ported android over" "what if we did......" thats how shit gets thought of. your negativity is BS and after your put down to the level of others and find you could do it.
well then you just keep up the shit with this "good luck with that" BS
What the frigging frig is your problem
I'm new but i'm willing to bet we all come for info, help and general comradery not for trolling and bashing.

holly shite i just went and read the 9 pages and most of you are trolls. It hurt to read most of this with all the negativity. OP i wish i could help you but i do hardware:(

Last edited by MDR,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old. And no I didn't join the girl Scouts.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to memorize how to tell 15 different trees species, I think, been awhile. But yea it was about knowing Wood.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could've just wrote down firewood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It was lame. Like the goal was to earn badges/patches to wear on your uniform. Stupid.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Scooby doo was the only thing that made the scouts seem cool back then
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hmmm for me it was Golden Eye or Tribes on PC can't remember which was first.
    Next on MXC Choir Boys VS Boy Scouts!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That would be funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'd prefer to be a boy scout you go in a alter boy you leave with demons
    +1
    Ken someone needs to make Scooby Doo and Zoo School lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Scooby doo and the alter scout
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Who did this to you it was a priest zoinks!
    Scooby Doo and Micheal Jackson save Christmas, they team up to help Santa. Micheal Jackson makes sure all the boys are asleep for Santa
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Scooby Doo and Micheal Jackson save Christmas, they team up to help Santa. Micheal Jackson makes...