Hacking Question Will Switch piracy be possible? If it is, will it work like the 3DS/Wii U

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All former Nintendo consoles (meaning the 3DS and Wii U) would store game licenses locally, not connected to the ID. However, the Switch stores the licenses online, connected to your Nintendo Account ID (NAID) so you can login on any console and activate that console with your NAID. And the transfer process no longer required an SD, it's all server based. Since the 3DS /Wii U stored them locally, you could download any game through say WUP Installer or FBI with no problem, but the Switch will store it online, so does that mean the console can't download games whose license is not connected with any Nintendo Account on the Switch system? Will it download and crash on launch? The Wii U had some games with piracy protection such as Minecraft which would crash when booted, but that used Microsoft's own server/system/thing. So will Switch piracy ever be possible? Will it require CFW? Will it work the same way as before?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All former Nintendo consoles (meaning the 3DS and Wii U) would store game licenses locally, not connected to the ID. However, the Switch stores the licenses online, connected to your Nintendo Account ID (NAID) so you can login on any console and activate that console with your NAID. And the transfer process no longer required an SD, it's all server based. Since the 3DS /Wii U stored them locally, you could download any game through say WUP Installer or FBI with no problem, but the Switch will store it online, so does that mean the console can't download games whose license is not connected with any Nintendo Account on the Switch system? Will it download and crash on launch? The Wii U had some games with piracy protection such as Minecraft which would crash when booted, but that used Microsoft's own server/system/thing. So will Switch piracy ever be possible? Will it require CFW? Will it work the same way as before?
In short, piracy on the Switch is quite possible, but you shouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, particularly on 3.0.1 or higher.

The Wii U had some games with piracy protection such as Minecraft which would crash when booted, but that used Microsoft's own server/system/thing.
I've never run into a pirated Wii U game that gave me any trouble, and that includes Minecraft.

Reactions: bennyman123abc

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. Likely yes, but not for a while. And even then signs point to it being more like a vita situation where games above a certain firmware were unable to be played and pirated. And if switch exploits never make it past 3.0.0 then you may be stuck playing and pirating only the first 7 months of games.

Reactions: peteruk

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possible? Yes. Right now? Hecks no.

I'm having to post this one too often.

In short, piracy on the Switch is quite possible, but you shouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, particularly on 3.0.1 or higher.
I am very aware it will not happen any time soon, it just doesn't happen. I was speaking long-term, and looking at our friends Mr. Xbox and Ms. PS4. They both store licenses online too, so what's the piracy situation on that, and will we have the same problems and solutions on the Switch.

I've never run into a pirated Wii U game that gave me any trouble, and that includes Minecraft.
I had run that game through Loadiine, and the horn of death would play as soon as Mojang popped up. I assumed the same would happen if I downloaded it to NAND/USB through WUP Installer. However, an app like UPlay will crash after running CFW, meaning some apps do have some system to detect hacking.

Last edited by aykay55,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am very aware it will not happen any time soon, it just doesn't happen. I was speaking long-term, and looking at our friends Mr. Xbox and Ms. PS4. They both store licenses online too, so what's the piracy situation on that, and will we have the same problems and solutions on the Switch.
A CFW solution to this is possible.

I had run that game through Loadiine, and the horn of death would play as soon as Mojang popped up. I assumed the same would happen if I downloaded it to NAND/USB. However, an app like UPlay will crash after running CFW, meaning some apps do have some system to detect hacking.
You're asking for issues using Loadiine. Minecraft works just fine on the Wii U when installed using WUP Installer. No game has ever given me troubles.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: weatMod and THYPLEX

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with that you won't be able to play any games past the first 7 months of releases unless we got the keys for them. And most people have already bought those anyway.
That's not entirely true. There are possible solutions to playing newer games with a 3.0.0 system, including but not limited to an emuNAND-like solution or a B9S-like solution.

Reactions: weatMod

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes something like freeShop near impossible, but locally installing pirated titles with CFW could be possible.

Not as much as you might think. Everything has a Device ID and Right's ID written to it, so you can't simply pull a title off of one device and have it work on another.

Reactions: Tuxymamoru

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not entirely true. There are possible solutions to playing newer games with a 3.0.0 system, including but not limited to an emuNAND-like solution or a B9S-like solution.
You can't compare the switch to the 3ds, they just aren't the same. What worked in 3ds won't work on switch. Why do you think vita is still suffering the game issues years after? Why have they not designed a emuNAND yet, because last I checked they don't.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't compare the switch to the 3ds, they just aren't the same. What worked in 3ds won't work on switch. Why do you think vita is still suffering the game issues years after? Why have they not designed a emuNAND yet, because last I checked they don't.
That's why I said emuNAND-like and B9S-like.

Tapri

Forum Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you deactivate and activate consoles so easily then? You can download all games immediately.

Because in addition to how they normally set up their system (tickets being installed to the device), they made it so it's tied to the account as well. When downloading a title, the device sends a request to ninty's servers basically asking for validation that this account bought this title.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True that.
That's not the same as piracy. It's officially talking to the servers to let them know whatever device you have is the current one. It's not the same as dumping and running/installing those dumps
Well can't we create a tool to remove all the data/IDs and/or replace the data for in those dumps for the target Switch?

Last edited by aykay55,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With your wife +1