Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nah, we've already got PS4 Pro/XB1X and Switch still shows no sign of sales slowing down. Power is far from everything, as evidenced by several consoles over the years (PS2, Wii).

Also Switch already doubled WiiU's lifetime sales in a year, so even if it was discontinued this very instant it would end up with more success.

Last edited by Xzi,

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think that we will soon reach a plateau when it comes to graphical fidelity ... Once the eye is not able to see the pixels and the fps, only the textures, art and engine technology will make a difference and I feel like we're pretty close to be photo realistic. I think that's why Sony invest in V.R.
Even between the ps4 and ps4 pro, the Gpu is 3x more powerful but the in game difference is not that big ... more pixels and in some case better textures and fps but nothing too crazy. Nintendo go for creativity and providing an experience to the user and they're really good at it. If they keep being creative and fun, I'll keep buying their stuff!

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Look at the wii cod ports vs 360 or ps3 games that is what is going to happen extreme difference but still playable

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the gaming library if the switch has a large number of exclusive games, the system will do well, currently, the switch is selling better than the entire lifespan of the Wii u.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People go with the ps4 and xbox one because they have no idea how to build a pc or can afford a console but not a pc also playstation has some exclusives.

umm no.. pc just sucks.. I used to play pc as a kid.. console is where it's at.. a PC is for doing work on.. get it right

Chizko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Nintendo is different, a complement and portable so, no way next gen compite whit Switch directly, same as PS4/XboxOne. This year the support from 3DS-Vita IPs begins to Switch and Vita full japonese dev support start in 2015...

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Doubtful.

Currently, the Switch is a successful launch, and to be honest, if XBOX TWO and PS5 happen, they probably won't do anything better than the current consoles on the market.

The Switch has a neat adventage of being portable AND having quite a nice library of games (forgiving WiiU ports, since not everyone owned one anyway).

At this point, people may have invested onto a gaming PC, since they're already better than current gen Sony and Microsoft consoles.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo lives on gimmicks and publicity Wii u failed out of the gate cause all the gaming media said it sucked it was a failure day 1 cause at that point no one would give it a chance.
Switch is guaranteed success at this point for the same reason everyone loves it even if it's technically inferior there's no stopping it.
the main problem was nintendos own marketing. They should have shown the console and the gamepad not just the gamepad...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to see more weird games that does quirky things with the joycons, like Snipperclips (never played it).

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The power difference will be to much that any games on the next xbox and ps5 won't be able to be ported to the switch. causing bad 3rd party support in the future.

One word: NO! Nintedo Switch is different. I will get PS5 since I have PS3, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. PS5 will be my next one.:D

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think Switch will be fine since it is portable... also some time ago Sony stated that will be no vita succesor in near future.
But the Nintendo Switch costs much more than a portable console ( especially here in Brazil, where you can find a 3DS for 250 R$ but one Switch for 2000 R$) and if I'm not mistaken even the prices of Switch games are more expensive than the standard of portable games since they cost 60 U$ different from the 40 U$ of the 3DS.

I don't think Switch would be an ''Ideal/Best portable'' not just for price, but I really can't see it as being mostly portable, it does not even fit in my pocket and the battery life with the brightness in the middle is ridiculous

Also, I think what makes the Switch sell so much is its 'hybrid' factor the possibility of being able to play home console games like Doom, Wolfenstein 2, DarkSouls, Breath of the Wild in the palm of your hand and anywhere and play portable games on the screen of your TV (which we could not since the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player)

PS: Sorry for my English, Brazilian Here.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
switch costs more then a portable but since its also a home console you don't have to buy both systems like in the past which costed more then a switch you only have to buy one.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
switch costs more then a portable but since its also a home console you don't have to buy both systems like in the past which costed more then a switch you only have to buy one.

Yes, and I think that's why Switch is selling well, but I've always wondered ...
There are people who just want to have a portable, not a home console, who don't want to have a home console for some reason, they paying up for a function that they will never use (maybe will see why 3DS still sells well and that PSVita still sells a little in Japan)

Aside from those other people who have never bothered to have a portable console (I include myself in this) those who would never take the Switch off the Dock, the Switch turns out to be a underpowered console for what it has to offer (even more so considering that it is more expensive than a PS4 Slim and here in Brazil costs the same as the PS4 Pro)

Luckily, I think there are very few people on one of these sides and so the Switch will continue to sell well for a long time

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But the Nintendo Switch costs much more than a portable console ( especially here in Brazil, where you can find a 3DS for 250 R$ but one Switch for 2000 R$) and if I'm not mistaken even the prices of Switch games are more expensive than the standard of portable games since they cost 60 U$ different from the 40 U$ of the 3DS.

I don't think Switch would be an ''Ideal/Best portable'' not just for price, but I really can't see it as being mostly portable, it does not even fit in my pocket and the battery life with the brightness in the middle is ridiculous

Also, I think what makes the Switch sell so much is its 'hybrid' factor the possibility of being able to play home console games like Doom, Wolfenstein 2, DarkSouls, Breath of the Wild in the palm of your hand and anywhere and play portable games on the screen of your TV (which we could not since the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player)

PS: Sorry for my English, Brazilian Here.

My country - Poland also is forgoten by nintendo, not only the prize is huge but also they f#ckers even skip my national language at the system menus...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It was more than just the Wii U's underpowered hardware that caused it to fail. Right out off the bat they went with continuing the name "Wii," which only caused the poorly educated to assume it just the Wii with a tablet. This issue they tried to tackle with some advertisements, but it was too little, too late. The next being complete lack of advertisements for both the system and games. I rarely saw ads for Wii U and when I did, they were very shortly before the game was released. Long periods of time without any games and or filled in with poor quality games, which just made owning the Wii U a forgettable system.
There were many factors, but these are the most common one that I hear and the ones Nintendo tackled the hardest with Switch. They didn't continue the "Wii" name nor even the "DS" name, thus showing it as it's own system. They have been advertisement the system regularly both before and after launch, while making it all features clear in each advertisement. There's still some of the issue with lack of games, but they've been pushing out better quality games and people seem more forgiving this time around. Nintendo simply handled the Switch far better than they did the Wii U and I don't see the next systems hurting it like the Xbox ONE and PS4 did the Wii U.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Sony and Microsoft had no real impact on the success of DS and 3DS despite Sony and Microsoft's consoles being so much more powerful. When we consider the Switch as the handheld that it is, its hard to feel like more powerful home consoles will have much bearing on the success of the system. As it is, we're seeing all these developers that made games specifically for the 3DS move to the Switch, so I don't think the Switch will fizzle out like the Wii U when Sony or MS introduce a new system in the next few years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol