Hacking Will there ever be a softmod cfw for the switch lite

jamespoo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
do you think we will ever see cfw softmod for the switch lite?
i remember back in like 2010 people saying there would never be a softmod for the DSI but in 2019 a softmod came out for it

so do you think we could ever see one or will it be like the xbox 360 and have no way to cfw it because of the hardware and only way to bypass it is to install a modchip?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i remember back in like 2010 people saying there would never be a softmod for the DSI but in 2019 a softmod came out for it

so do you think we could ever see one or will it be like the xbox 360 and have no way to cfw it because of the hardware and only way to bypass it is to install a modchip?
Horizon (Switch OS) has basically been dug around for years trying to find exploits to no avail. The only notable one found was patched back in firmware 3.0. Since then basically nothing has been found. Hard to say if the Switch will ever have another software exploit.

linkref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

you can find guys who do pico for 50, better than wait

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we can't predict the future it looks very unlikely. If one comes out it will be when the Switch is last-gen hardware. When quantum computers become widespread we will then be able to bruteforce the private keys and fakesign software.

Reactions: mathew77

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

There is a one big difference between all those consoles and Switch - we have full reimplementation of OS's kernel. And if somebody who did it said that since 8.0.0 there is absolutely nothing in kernel to use as breakpoint for softmod, you better deal with it as fact.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a one big difference between all those consoles and Switch - we have full reimplementation of kernel. And if somebody who did it said that since 8.0.0 there is absolutely nothing in kernel to use as breakpoint for softmod, you better deal with it as fact.
Yeah I highly doubt anything is ever going to be found. Unless Nintendo really screws up with some future update.

linkref

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a one big difference between all those consoles and Switch - we have full reimplementation of kernel. And if somebody who did it said that since 8.0.0 there is absolutely nothing in kernel to use as breakpoint for softmod, you better deal with it as fact.
do we have a link of the kernel code ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And even if this scenario happens, it might be smarter to keep it hidden until nintendo patches it, since it would likely affect nintendos next gens of consoles too.
Exactly. Nintendo lacking on features in Horizon has really made a very very secure OS. If it wasn't for the RCM exploit, the Switch would be nearly unhackable.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. Nintendo lacking on features in Horizon has really made a very very secure OS. If it wasn't for the RCM exploit, the Switch would be nearly unhackable.
The funny thing is that there are actually a few entrypoints, but none of them work since you need to compromise kernel, which as we've established for years now, is basically unhackable unless nintendo royally screws up with a new update

Reactions: mathew77

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The funny thing is that there are actually a few entrypoints, but none of them work since you need to compromise kernel, which as we've established for years now, is basically unhackable unless nintendo royally screws up with a new update
I assume the reason Nintendo made such a barebones OS is due to wanting it to be secured. I mean looking at most consoles that get hacked. 90% of those exploits are browser-based.

Last edited by Ryab,
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly think there might be a soft mod floating around but they are sitting on it so Nintendo doesn't patch it out
Like with the vita sofmod maybe they'll release it when the switch is at the end of its life time *copium*

Man with the rumours of Switch 2 having devuno soft modding might get even harder in the future

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think there might be a soft mod floating around but they are sitting on it so Nintendo doesn't patch it out
Like with the vita sofmod maybe they'll release it when the switch is at the end of its life time *copium*

Man with the rumours of Switch 2 having devuno soft modding might get even harder in the future
It has basically been confirmed that there is nothing in the current Horizon build. Not a single exploit that would allow us to compromise the kernel. Really the only hope is Nintendo screws up with a later system update.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There probably won't be a soft mod like others have said, horizonOS is pretty solid by this point.
But on the bright side that has led to hard mods becoming easier and cheaper to do since that's the only option.

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Everyone wishes for a softmod to be available for Mariko & newer units. I do. You do. Everyone in this thread does. Everyone on the GBATemp Switch forums does. Everyone who is into reverse-engineering of Horizon, the kernel and the hardware also does.

Yet Nintendo has learned that half-assing firmware and not hack-proofing it isn't the way to go. They probably hired actual security experts that make code safe from attacks like ROP, not to mention that they wrote Horizon FROM THE GROUND UP without using any sort of pre-written code, which is an impressive achievement considering that both Microsoft and Sony console firmwares all are based on something else.

The reason why the RCM bug is possible is also nVIDIA's fault, not Nintendo's. Nintendo used nVIDIA's chips and didn't know that they had an exploit that could allow for homebrew software and piracy.

That's why I advise you - purchase an Erista unpatched unit, considering that it has been verified multiple times by multiple hackers that the Switch is as secure as Fort Knox. I know, purchasing the RPi and the related electrical components to make a modchip might sound like a deal for only $20 or so, but unless you have precise hands and years of experience with precise microsoldering, just don't go fucking around with the hardware because then you'll lose even the Lite itself.

Reactions: RednaxelaNnamtra

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ