Windows 10 S help

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my mom a new small ASUS laptop for Christmas that came with Windows 10 S. Upon booting, the touch pad doesn't work and the network drivers did not work. I tried installing these drivers from ASUS website, but they of course wouldn't launch since it' windows 10 s, and you cant do anything on there. so i thought it was no big deal and id install Windows 10 pro. I wrote the latest iso from Microsoft website to a usb drive and installed it. When i tried to then install the drivers, it said i was running windows 10 s. i was confused because i did this process at least 50 times in my life so far and never had this happen. i went to settings and confirmed my "windows 10 pro" iso had actually just re installed windows 10 s. so i tried an old usb with win10 on it. it wouldn' even boot. same with an old usb with windows 7 on it. nothing worked. i tried to do "reset this pc" and other stuff from inside windows instead of from the bios and nothing has changed.

so right not this laptop is pretty much a brick. can't go on the internet, can't fix the reason for not being able to go on the internet, cant do anything.

is there anything i can do?

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you attempt to do an in-place install, or by booting from the installation media? If you do an in-place install, it will keep the same edition of Windows 10(Home, Enterprise, Pro, Cloud, etc) you had previously installed. To actually change the edition to Pro, you will either need to find an ISO file with only the Pro SKU(Edition) present, or you will need to boot from your installation media and perform a clean install.

Note that if your mom's laptop is on actual Windows 10 S(not the "S mode" that newer versions of Windows 10 have), you will need to have a valid license key when installing Windows 10 Pro.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you attempt to do an in-place install, or by booting from the installation media? If you do an in-place install, it will keep the same edition of Windows 10(Home, Enterprise, Pro, Cloud, etc) you had previously installed. To actually change the edition to Pro, you will either need to find an ISO file with only the Pro SKU(Edition) present, or you will need to boot from your installation media and perform a clean install.

Note that if your mom's laptop is on actual Windows 10 S(not the "S mode" that newer versions of Windows 10 have), you will need to have a valid license key when installing Windows 10 Pro.
I did the install from booting from the USB device via BIOS. And it says "S mode" in the settings. There is a button that says something like "See how to get regular windows 10" or something like that, but when i click it, it opens up the Microsoft store and i cant do anything because the WiFi drivers are not installed, and i cant install them since I'm in s mode in the first place.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to fix it by searching up the hardware id of the network adapter, and find some low budget website that had the driver files not in an installation package, so I was able to download on phone, plug in, and install these using device manager and then disable s mode from Microsoft store to install the trackpad drivers. Still makes me wonder why theyd ship it out like this. Most people buying a laptop like this have very little knowledge of how to fix it

TheMCNerd2017

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still makes me wonder why theyd ship it out like this. Most people buying a laptop like this have very little knowledge of how to fix it
I honestly have no idea why they would do that either. Probably just an attempt to make a quick buck by making people send their laptop to a service center after contacting the customer support.

Good thing you managed to fix the issue though. Strange that the ISO would keep the "S Mode" enabled even when booting off of it. None of the ISO images I use have kept it enabled.

Last edited by TheMCNerd2017,
Reactions: DarkFlare69

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@