Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users and will feature new gaming enhancements

Xbox_Wire_Windows11.jpg

During a livestream that aired today, Microsoft officially unveiled its next OS: Windows 11 and announced that Windows 10 users will get access to Windows 11 as a free upgrade, similar to how Windows 7 and 8 users were upgraded to Windows 10 for free.

Microsoft also said that Windows 11 will be "the best Windows ever for gaming". To back that claim up, the tech giant announced a slate of gaming-related enhancements. One of these is Auto HDR which will make games look better as it adds High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhancements to titles built on DirectX 11 or higher that previously only leveraged Standard Dynamic Range (SDR). This tech was in fact introduced Xbox Series X|S consoles.

Another enhancement will come to loading speed through the new DirectStorage technology. This was part of the Xbox Velocity Architecture featured in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S and Windows 11 PCs will load new games faster with a high performance NVMe SSD and the proper drivers.

As a final gaming-related feature, the Xbox app will be built into Windows 11 to provide easier access to Game Pass. Cloud gaming will also be directly added into the Xbox app on PC.

Another interesting announcement during the event, albeit not directly related to gaming, is that Android apps will apparently run natively on Windows 11. The apps will be downloadable from Amazon’s Appstore, which will itself be accessible via the new Windows store.

For more details about the gaming-related announcements, head to the official Xbox blog post in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
If you have a desktop with a TPM it's probably removable & you can fit a 2.0 module.

How old is your computer? UEFI came out in 2006. Secure Boot was added in UEFI 2.3.1, which was around 2012.
I checked again, and my mobo has no TPM header, although there are settings for TPM in BIOS (which, not surprisingly, are grayed out). I have a P6T SE motherboard. The next nearest mobo that has a TPM header is the P6T WS PRO, but according to my mobo's manual, there is no TPM header on mine. My PC is a custom rig from 2010, with a 650W CoolerMaster GX Bronze PSU and a P6T SE mobo in a black/blue Apevia X-Sniper G-Type ATX Mid Tower case. The best GPU my computer can reasonably handle is a GTX 960 or R9 285. I really want an upgrade, but due to someone (no idea who) COMPLETELY borking up my info at the IRS, I have gotten ZERO stimulus checks, and I have never had to do a tax return (I'm on SSI - this alone should allow me to get the checks), so I cannot use the new form for it.
But, back on topic, yeah, I'm not getting W11 anytime soon, although I really want that Android compatibility (my PC is custom, so I cannot get RemixOS working, and although I use MEmu, the ads and bloat, not to mention the newer block on custom Launchers, make it unbearable). The one game I play on Android should work out of the box with W11, since it has very few system requirements (it runs perfectly on the very first Samsung Galaxy phone, for example).

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Until i can get a new computer ill be on windows 10 since i dont have the TPM 2.0 chipset on this really old computer. i wonder what problems will be with this new upgrade, hopefully no blue screen error on check disc. Though a good thing is that windows 10 has a great compatibility for many games now so lets hope that windows 11 or rather windows 10 DLC will keep it up.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so I cannot get RemixOS working, and although I use MEmu, the ads and bloat, not to mention the newer block on custom Launchers, make it unbearable).

I run lineageos on my phone and some software complains about it being rooted, even though it technically isn't, so I went through all of them. memu stayed on my machine for about 30 seconds, bluestacks is the only one that would run the apps and the bloat/adds on it isn't that bad.

It worked fine until I enabled wsl2 and then complained saying I needed to use a different version that was compatible with hyperv & that one wasn't compatible with the apps & eventually I went through the pain of downgrading to wsl1.

I'm not convinced Android on W11 is going to be painless either though...

Until i can get a new computer ill be on windows 10 since i dont have the TPM 2.0 chipset on this really old computer.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a solution to this problem, I don't think the TPM header is particular secure & so it could potentially be put on pcie/usb. It might need a UEFI update though.

Reactions: CrossOut

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you can update from Home to an unactivated version of Pro with the generic Pro license, and then use the Windows 7 free upgrade servers to activate your copy of Windows 10 Pro.
Change the product key to the generic Windows 10 Pro key, let it upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, and then use one of the many third-party tools out there to activate the system via the free Windows 7 upgrade servers.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is the rebranding is pretty much in name only. Windows 10 users will be forced to update to Windows 11 automatically after enough time as passed, like with any other major Windows 10 update.

The ability of Windows 11 to support running Android apps "natively" is pretty neat though. That was my biggest takeaway.
Not if you got Windows update blocker in an active state, which I do.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well after reading some new things on this I can tell you that I will have to upgrade my cpu no matter what and get that chip for my motherboard but I may just give in and get a new cpu motherboard combo deal or something along the lines of that sine I did want to upgrade but I will try and go cheap on the motherboard since I think we may see ddr5 next year or the year after so that way I can just swap to a ddr5 motherboard after.

Kingy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like this. Having been running the leaked build, the design has grown on me and I really do enjoy using Win11- they are finally solving the problem of inconsistency in design throughout the OS! The performance difference also really shows, everything feels much snappier while using Win11. I'm excited to upgrade, and I've already signed for the Beta Channel.

However, the hardware requirements are strange indeed. I'm sure it'll be patchable just like on build 21996. But, I also hope this encourages OEMs to use more modern components in their systems, if that's one good thing you can hope from it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2 or not pay attention and still reply