Windows 7 will receive paid monthly updates after support ends

upload_2018-9-9_9-24-57.png

In a recent blog post titled “Helping customers shift to a modern desktop”, Microsoft has confirmed that from 14 January 2020, when the extended support for Windows 7 ends, they will only keep pushing security updates to Windows 7 users who have signed up to a monthly paid subscription. Microsoft also says that the subscription fee will increase every year.

Jared Spataro (Corporate Vice President for Office and Windows Marketing) said:
Today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year.

The pricing has not yet been revealed and Microsoft is only making this offer to Windows 7 Professional users. Seems like if you want to keep your devices safe, you will soon have to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10.

:arrow: Helping customers shift to a modern desktop
:arrow: Source

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Steam is adding a native compatibility layer for Windows games to play on Linux, so even that should become a non-issue

Im hopeful that is the case eventually, I’d like to see a time when we no longer need a WINE-esque need to constantly check support for software and it gets to the point that it ‘just works’.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im hopeful that is the case eventually, I’d like to see a time when we no longer need a WINE-esque need to constantly check support for software and it gets to the point that it ‘just works’.
Yeah, I think it's vaguely WINE-based, but it's its own derivative and the games will come in their own container

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Is that such an issue now?

At this point we are mostly left with do you absolutely need adobe or want high end PC games?

I need Autodesk 3ds Max for work and, unfortunately, Blender is just not a suitable or usable alternative in my case. It's a shame because that's the biggest thing keeping me on Windows.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
''Windows 10 is slow'' sure, if you run it on a stick of butter.
My laptop came with Windows 8 and I downgraded back to 7, and after installing Windows 10 (since beta) and adding another 4GB memory RAM stick (8GB total now) and an SSD and I got my laptop much MUCH faster than 7.
Also UEFI makes things even better + DirectX12

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there's anything I don't like about Windows 10, is the taskbar icons refreshing (damn you, icon cache) every so often, it's distracting and I haven't found a way to fix it. But as far as crashes and stability goes, it's very stable and all my games run on it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Windows 10 and "better OS" don't go together

Windows 10 better?? Are you deluded in what possible way is windows 10 better lol

After you've used windows 10 for a while then windows 7 feels real ghetto. There are many features that I miss every time I have the misfortune to use windows 7.

Plus they optimised some of the code so they could build arm versions.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is your choice. In the past, when a Windows version ended support, it was just done, save for the rare emergency security hole that needs patching. Here you have the choice to still receive support for a legacy OS. My PC is over 8 years old and runs Windows 10 fine. Any older than that, you might as well be running Vista or XP. In my experience, Win10 actually seems to use less resources than 7 ever did, or it's using them more efficiently. My only gripe with 10 is the fullscreen update nags.

Examples?
Instead of giving users the option to halt all updates for individual perusal and manual installation, all users are forced to update. For enterprise, you can dismiss for a later time. Home users do not have that luxury.

In windows 7, all users can simply disable updates or install after you give the OK. The OS gives a warning against it, but you can do it.

So how do you disable updates on windows 10 in a similar manner? By entirely disabling the module that runs windows update in services, a sensitive program not to be fiddled with so casually. Forcing windows update to never open on it's own.

God have mercy on those with internet data limits and recieve updates, which is seemingly becoming a trend in the boonier parts of the big ol united states due to monopolies.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of giving users the option to halt all updates for individual perusal and manual installation, all users are forced to update. For enterprise, you can dismiss for a later time. Home users do not have that luxury.

In windows 7, all users can simply disable updates or install after you give the OK. The OS gives a warning against it, but you can do it.

So how do you disable updates on windows 10 in a similar manner? By entirely disabling the module that runs windows update in services, a sensitive program not to be fiddled with so casually. Forcing windows update to never open on it's own.

God have mercy on those with internet data limits and recieve updates, which is seemingly becoming a trend in the boonier parts of the big ol united states due to monopolies.
I'll be honest with you, I never noticed that because I use the Pro edition. It lets me postpone updates for up to a year. But yeah, what you said is a really big problem for the casual user.

D

Deleted User

Things like Web Browsers are fine but for everything else YMMV as it depends on your preferences, usage, etc e.g. I play games and I've needed to use windows only software over the years e.g. when I was at uni, I use PSP for photo editing (Windows only), etc.

Personally I also prefer Office over Libreoffice (the latter is what we're supplied with at work and it can be a pain at times, so BYOD is normal). Speaking of work we use a bespoke Windows based software as a core part of our store operations, otherwise I reckon we could switch over to Linux in certain areas.

For the record, I do use Linux on my Server (unRAID) and on the side with VMs/dual boots.
well I use my pc for studying, programming and browsing... browsing is not a problem, programming is way better on linux (imo) and I use libreoffice just fine. sure, libreoffice is not as good as Microsoft office, but I dont care much. I still have windows for that stuff, but I rarely use it

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
well I use my pc for studying, programming and browsing... browsing is not a problem, programming is way better on linux (imo) and I use libreoffice just fine. sure, libreoffice is not as good as Microsoft office, but I dont care much. I still have windows for that stuff, but I rarely use it

The only downside to programming on Linux from my experience was where different distros can have their own quirks.

Linux Mint for example wouldn't run my tutors demo C code (kernel related stuff) meaning I had to switch to Cent OS.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only downside to programming on Linux from my experience was where different distros can have their own quirks.

Linux Mint for example wouldn't run my tutors demo C code (kernel related stuff) meaning I had to switch to Cent OS.

There, you hit in the nail, that's the biggest reasson why Linux distro won't be mainstream or why developers don't release more games for Linux
Linux distro have their place in this world but not as a mainstream home PC os.

Ms store, whatever, they are all bloatware crap. My point is that:

You can't remove all the bloatware without using extra hacks like uninstall_wim tool or editing config files to fool windows to think these packages are not required by the system (editing mum files or something).
Also even then it seems that Microsoft is taking measures against this since they have added a new DB in Windows 10 Anniversary which flags components and will not let you update windows once it notices certain components are removed. So my point stands.

Cortana is far fromg being bloatware, any of those Ms programs are. You may not like them but that's another history, of those programs you hate only 3 cannot be fully removed but only disable.. Which means you won't be bothering you.
In fact if you had used Cortana in first place instead of Ms Store (which can be fully removed)
All those "haaax" programs are just scripts, far from being real "haaax"

Even if you don't remove but only disable them, you are only at best 2 gb... In time when we use TB disc 2 gb is really nothing... If 2gb is a lot of space, then you should think about upgrading your PC or getting a new.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cortana is far fromg being bloatware, any of those Ms programs are. You may not like them but that's another history, of those programs you hate only 3 cannot be fully removed but only disable.. Which means you won't be bothering you.
In fact if you had used Cortana in first place instead of Ms Store (which can be fully removed)
All those "haaax" programs are just scripts, far from being real "haaax"

Even if you don't remove but only disable them, you are only at best 2 gb... In time when we use TB disc 2 gb is really nothing... If 2gb is a lot of space, then you should think about upgrading your PC or getting a new.
"Cortana is far from being bloatware" < Millions of windows users would say otherwise. You may like them, but that is another story....

"All those "haaax" programs are just scripts, far from being real "haaax" < Install wim tweak, which is the tool doing the job for all those scrips out there, is far from being "just scripts"".

It is not just about space, memory usage or performance.... You should put your ignorance/corporate white knighting aside and realize that many people just don't want their systems bloated with junk they don't need.:wink:

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is not just about space, memory usage or performance.... You should put your ignorance/corporate white knighting aside and realize that many people just don't want their systems bloated with junk they don't need.:wink:

White knighting, Fake news, ok you need to use shiat hole country to show that you are from the US.
It's funny when you don't agree with an edge lord, you are a white knighting xD

You don't want their products? Then don't use them but don't cry about then and tell fake news saying they are bloatware when they are not.
They don't use much space, nor memory plus 90% can be removed the rest disabled. So hardly bloatware....

Last edited by WildDog,

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
White knighting, Fake news, ok you need to use shiat hole country to show that you are from the US.
It's funny when you don't agree with an edge lord, you are a white knighting xD

You don't want their products? Then don't use them but don't cry about then and tell fake news saying they are bloatware when they are not.
They don't use much space, nor memory plus 90% can be removed the rest disabled. So hardly bloatware....
There are days I really wish downvoting was a thing on here. I'm gonna lay it out nice and clean for you...

Consumer Choice = Good
Forcing Consumers to Use Services = Bad

I'm also personally sick of seeing, and having to uninstall, God-damned Candy Crush and MS' shitty Minecraft port every time I install Win10 for myself or someone else. Not to mention getting Cortana to fuck off... If you really think this shit isn't bloatware, you need a lobotomy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo