Homebrew Windows on the New 3DS

LarBob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlikely to happen like this. The only reason these versions of Windows work is because they're DOS-based operating systems. Windows XP onwards uses an NT base OS instead. So while it may be probable if anybody had source code and the time and patience to do so, it definitely wouldn't be done via this method.
Yeah, the newest you *might* be able to get is Me, but that tried to be independent from a DOS install so it's harder to install it on DOSBOX.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
does it have mouse and keyboard? i might be able to go though Windows 98 Setup.

Retroarch's DOSBox can only emulate a handful of keys like arrows and Enter. It does not yet have the ability to utilise the whole keyboard. (That being said though, would it really be that difficult to make a virtual keyboard for the bottom screen or something?)

Trophies
XP
I'm running a nightly build (June 27th build) and nothing is loading on dosbox. Tried both 95 and 3.1 and I get the same output that would appear with a working boot except that I end up in a Quick Menu with "No items".

Windows works on Retroarch 1.3 but all of the newer versions that have mouse support don't boot anything.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it amazing that project.
I just want to see Windows 7 on 3DS would be amazing.

Not gonna happen for the reasons already stated (stripped DOS integration), and the amount of resources required for more modern OS like Window 7. Even if by some horrible hacked miracle it could be made to work it would not be pleasant to use on the 3DS low resolution screens and being way below the recommended minimum amount of RAM/processor speed required.

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Amazingly got this to work, but how do I move the mouse?

This does not support mouse controls. However, the retroarch DOSBox on the other hand does and you can load the .bat files from this with that installed. They don't even need to be moved or anything, just keep them where they are. Only recommendations I suggest are that you use the .3dsx version atm since the .cia is just loading a black screen at this time and after loading the .bat, quickly enter the quick menu in retroarch and in options give CPU 1000 a 1. It helps speed things up a little.

Also keep in mind that at this time the mouse controls are inverted, which is a hassle but better than no mouse support at all.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
FINAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYYY
After seven.... err, eight whole months I got it to work!

So then. Using the retroarch_3DS.3dsx and batch files in OP, and Windows 95, I'm on the blue desktop. Anything I can do from here?

I keep seeing posts here about another retroarch that has mouse support.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
FINAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYYY
After seven.... err, eight whole months I got it to work!

So then. Using the retroarch_3DS.3dsx and batch files in OP, and Windows 95, I'm on the blue desktop. Anything I can do from here?

I keep seeing posts here about another retroarch that has mouse support.

Here is the .3dsx of Retroarch build 1.3.3. It's in the dosbox_libretro folder. You could use the latest stable at this time (1.3.6) but it's not recommended since the screen tears and there may be a few other bugs.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is already a thread about this created by shutterbug2000, but the author didn't really provide a tutorial or more info. I have added an smdh file for the logo, info, etc. and also got Windows 98 to work, so I figured there might be a separate thread for my version with the smdh file prepackaged, as well as batch files to launch Windows 95, 98, and 3.1.
Here is an imgur album of it in the grid launcher: http://imgur.com/a/xO4Qo
Here are YouTube videos of 95, 98, and 3.1:

• To install: Put the contents of this zip into /3ds/retroarch_3ds. (if there is no folder called that, create one)
  • It will show up in the homebrew loader with a classic Windows logo.
  • For Windows 3.1, put a WINDOWS folder into the retroarch_3ds folder
  • For Windows 98, put an image of the system into the retroarch_3ds folder called W98.img
  • For Windows 95, put an image of the system into the retroarch_3ds folder called W95.img
  • Once you load up Windows N3DS, go to Load Content -> Select File -> smdc:/ -> 3ds -> retroarch_3ds -> and choose which OS you want to run. ld31.bat = Windows 3.1, ld98.bat = Windows 98, ld95.bat = Windows 95
  • Once it is loaded, you may have to change settings to allow you to move the arrow keys with the d-pad, to press enter using start, etc. by doing this:
  • Open settings by pressing bottom screen, press b, go to settings, input, input user 1 binds. Change User 1 device type to Joystick (4axis/4buttons + kbd arrows) and then go back to the main screen. Save current config. You can then press the bottom screen again to resume the Windows startup.
  • With this setting, D-PAD = Arrow keys, Start = Enter, Select = Esc
If you decide to use Windows 98, I recommend using a build of 98lite Professional if you can (for startup time).
I hope I helped you guys! Remember, this currently only works on New 3DS models. You will probably get a red screen if you try on the O3DS. It just doesn't work right now.

Where do you make the folder in the 3DS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken build your own router lol