Homebrew [WIP/DEMO] 3DOS - 8086(DOS) emulator for the 3DS

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, input is somewhat working! Currently, directions on the Dpad can be pressed, up = d, right = i, down = r, and start = enter. So, by pressing up, right, down, start, the directory listing is displayed. I'll have a video of this up later, as well as a .3DSX, but for now, take this image, I'm going to sleep :P:
pikX29c.jpg

Alright, as promised, here's a video:

And a updated .zip(remember, dir is all you can input :P)

Attachments

• 3DOS.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 291

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww man, I was gonna try to port 8086tiny. I guess that just means I have to try to port a 286 or a 386 emu before you. :P
Is there anyway to implement a soft keyboard like DSx86 does?

EDIT: As 8086tiny is licensed under the MIT license, make sure your next release/zip includes a copy of it to comply. Just looking out for ya. :)

Last edited by ifrit05,

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww man, I was gonna try to port 8086tiny. I guess that just means I have to try to port a 286 or a 386 emu before you. :P

EDIT: As 8086tiny is licensed under the MIT license, make sure your next release/zip includes it to comply. Just looking out for ya. :)

Lol, if you want to help with the project(since you wanted to port this) you can :P. I'm currently working on a "keyboard", and sdl(AKA not just text mode) should be next. I have a few interesting ideas I'm also wanting to do, one of which may/ may not be a folder -> img "mount" :P.

Also, thanks for pointing out the license. Haven't really done much with licensed source code before, so I don't really know all the rules with it :P.

Reactions: memomo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

EDIT: As 8086tiny is licensed under the MIT license, make sure your next release/zip includes a copy of it to comply. Just looking out for ya. :)
It's certainly possible, as he can create one from scratch. The virtual keyboard that many things on the 3DS use is built in to the system, it might be possible to use that one too, but it's not a full PC keyboard so it will lack some keys that might be needed for certain things, like the F-keys, ctrl, alt, and so on.

You should port DosBox :P
I believe there's a SDL version, and there was a SDL wrapper that someone made for the 3DS, you might be able to get something to work with it. It would be a lot more capable than this :P
Being limited to just text mode means you can't really do any fun things with this. I'd suggest you port DSx86/DS2x86 but it seems to be closed source :P

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly possible, as he can create one from scratch. The virtual keyboard that many things on the 3DS use is built in to the system, it might be possible to use that one too, but it's not a full PC keyboard so it will lack some keys that might be needed for certain things, like the F-keys, ctrl, alt, and so on.

You should port DosBox :P
I believe there's a SDL version, and there was a SDL wrapper that someone made for the 3DS, you might be able to get something to work with it. It would be a lot more capable than this :P
Being limited to just text mode means you can't really do any fun things with this. I'd suggest you port DSx86/DS2x86 but it seems to be closed source :P

Yeah I'm looking through the source code right now. I'm not a great programmer as I'm still learning C, and DOSBox seems to be based on C/C++. Maybe I can help with 3DOS and then move on to DOSBox.
I think a new soft keyboard would work better than the native 3DS keyboard.

@shutterbug2000: Can you post your source on github or something?

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm looking through the source code right now. I'm not a great programmer as I'm still learning C, and DOSBox seems to be based on C/C++. Maybe I can help with 3DOS and then move on to DOSBox.
I think a new soft keyboard would work better than the native 3DS keyboard.

@shutterbug2000: Can you post your source on github or something?

Yeah, let me get a few things worked out, and then I'll make a github repository.

Reactions: ifrit05

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments