Homebrew [WIP] SafeSysUpdater

Akawashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know people ask this all the time... but will there ever be any softmod to downgrade 11.0? (or if anyone is working on it...)
I know it's a common question, but if its possible with a hardmod, then it should be possible with a softmod... maybe find a workaround for the downgrade patch (another way) if Homebrew is accessible, the theoretically, so should downgrading....)
If not, could someone explain how the downgrade process works, and how the patch prevents it please? (if i know this, i may be able to think of an idea that could help dev's build a new downgrader. long shot, but possible.)

D

Deleted-379826

I know people ask this all the time... but will there ever be any softmod to downgrade 11.0? (or if anyone is working on it...)
I know it's a common question, but if its possible with a hardmod, then it should be possible with a softmod... maybe find a workaround for the downgrade patch (another way) if Homebrew is accessible, the theoretically, so should downgrading....)
If not, could someone explain how the downgrade process works, and how the patch prevents it please? (if i know this, i may be able to think of an idea that could help dev's build a new downgrader. long shot, but possible.)
Not too sure how it works but first off, wrong thread second off, there is a way it involves a second 3ds that has a9lh and a 5 dollar game on the eshop

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I don't see where you get this from.

Quite honestly, hardmods have nothing to do with softmods.

Simply put, 11.0 added a minimal version check, making it impossible to downgrade with ARM11 kernel access only (as the system wouldn't install/boot older titles). Hardmods allow you to dump the NAND, then use a known-plaintext attack to inject and restore a NAND backup with an older NATIVE_FIRM, which would allow you to then, do a software-based downgrade.

I assume this recent DSiWareHax grants ARM9 kernel access to dump/restore the NAND (and inject the NATIVE_FIRM in the same fashion), being essentially the same downgrade. However, this can and will probably be patched in the next update, and it'll also make hardmod downgrades impossible (they only have to make it so an older NATIVE_FIRM can't boot newer titles - like they did on 9.6 - 9.5 or earlier NATIVE_FIRMs can't start 9.6+ titles).

Also, having ARM9 access on a higher firmware version would also allow you to run CFW on said high version, making it possible to go directly to 2.1 for the OTP and A9LH, instead of downgrading to 9.2 first.

Reactions: Akawashi

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume this recent DSiWareHax grants ARM9 kernel access to dump/restore the NAND (and inject the NATIVE_FIRM in the same fashion), being essentially the same downgrade. However, this can and will probably be patched in the next update, and it'll also make hardmod downgrades impossible (they only have to make it so an older NATIVE_FIRM can't boot newer titles - like they did on 9.6 - 9.5 or earlier NATIVE_FIRMs can't start 9.6+ titles).
DSiWare has full access to the eMMC, but not the 3DS-specific encryption keys. Hence, you can use it to dump the eMMC, run the plaintext downgrade, and restore the eMMC. This is effectively the same as the hardmod downgrade, but without the hardmod.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
DSiWare has full access to the eMMC, but not the 3DS-specific encryption keys. Hence, you can use it to dump the eMMC, run the plaintext downgrade, and restore the eMMC. This is effectively the same as the hardmod downgrade, but without the hardmod.
I see. So it only grants access to the NAND. Thanks!

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's only one good use for SafeSysUpdater now, and that's for people experiencing this issue, as this problem does not seem to be present in SafeSysUpdater.

So again if you're experincing a Yellow screen freeze when Opening PlaiSysUpdater from the Homebrew Launcher you should try SafeSysUpdater. (not to be confused with the infamous yellow screen from menuhax)

This yellow screen issue tends to occur on systems that were updated to or above 9.9 with a cart and have a stubbed internet browser.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

fikatr

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
This is not how kernel works

fikatr.

MonClair

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys - been searching through this forum trying to find tips and answers to overcome this hurdle in my downgrade attempt. I have the old 3DS model v. 9.5.0-23E, have homebrew on there (for some reason the entry points to launch homebrew won't work, so I use the camera every time). I initially tried using SafeSysUpdater and consistently received the error message: "FAIL Can't get am:u service ... try again :x" I did a bit of reading and found that I should either use the old sysupdater or follow Plailect's guide.

Deciding to go with the latter I now I get to the selection screen, select (Y) to downgrade to 9.2.0 and I get "Checking for am:u... Did not get am:u handle! Attempting svchax..."

And then it freezes - what is the am:u error message and what can I do about it?? Any ideas?

EDIT: reinstalled menuhax a few more times, finally got it working. Solved the issues.

Last edited by MonClair,

Collasox

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I tried like 200 times to downgrade a New 3DS with DSI Ware Downgrade and i get the "Checking for am:u... " error code, i've tried formatting, with ftbrony, with PlaySysUpdater, SafeSysUpdater and SysUpdater, and never work, I tried reinstalling menuhax too. I've tried so many times, what can I do? My 3ds is in 10.3 but shows 11.0.

Edit: Upssss, is 10.4, sorry. I thought it was 10.3. Thanks @gnmmarechal

Last edited by Collasox,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, I tried like 200 times to downgrade a New 3DS with DSI Ware Downgrade and i get the "Checking for am:u... " error code, i've tried formatting, with ftbrony, with PlaySysUpdater, SafeSysUpdater and SysUpdater, and never work, I tried reinstalling menuhax too. I've tried so many times, what can I do? 9My 3ds is in 10.3 but shows 11.0.
DSiWare downgrade downgrades FIRM to 10.4 IIRC

Teun1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tried to downgrade, however when it was coming to it ends it says that an error was occured. After that I've thread to turn it off and turn it on, but then it shows an black screen.
What to do now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs