*updated graphics, backgrounds, textures, bug fixes

Download and more info; https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Newo_Zero

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hadn't noticed anything myself on the last update but will certainly give this a go over the next day or so. :yayu:

Edit... Just realised i replied to an earlier post and this version will defo be getting tested tonight! Congrats on the release :toot:

Reactions: newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Arcade mode has the tightest turns of all the modes. It's made to steal your coins. Although it's not impossible to beat. I have been cleaning up the transitions between screens and the text at the start of the race fades in and fades out. Its hard to tell that these things were not in the eariler version but things like this take extra time to implement and when you start making a game its best to avoid doing this kind of polish because it will only distract you from finishing the core aspect which is driving from the start to the end of the track. lol. also bumping in the walls is core too.

Last edited by newo,

Rick328

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Newo,

I've encountered a bug with the motion controls: I adjust the sensitivity and deadzone to my liking, but as soon as I touch or hit a wall, it seems like there's no more center deadzone and the steering just snaps abruptly from left to right when trying to regain control. It becomes unplayable and I have to exit the race.

Thank you for this great game by the way, nice graphics and great music! :)

PS: Sorry if it's not the correct place to mention this, or if I should have sent a PM...

Reactions: Lostbhoy and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Mentioning it here is fine. Motion controls have always been a bit iffy. I will take a look at it in a couple hours to see if I can figure it out. Thanx for the feedback

Music is by white bat audio; https://www.youtube.com/@WhiteBatAudio

Post automatically merged:

Hey Newo,

I've encountered a bug with the motion controls: I adjust the sensitivity and deadzone to my liking, but as soon as I touch or hit a wall, it seems like there's no more center deadzone and the steering just snaps abruptly from left to right when trying to regain control. It becomes unplayable and I have to exit the race.

Thank you for this great game by the way, nice graphics and great music! :)

PS: Sorry if it's not the correct place to mention this, or if I should have sent a PM...

Did you set your sensitivity to 100? If you set it too high the vehicle will snap back and forward quickly even with a little tilt of the wii mote. Its best to set it between 40/60. If thats not it try to take a video of what you are experiencing.

1704826395051.png

Last edited by newo,

Rick328

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you set your sensitivity to 100? If you set it too high the vehicle will snap back and forward quickly even with a little tilt of the wii mote. Its best to set it between 40/60. If thats not it try to take a video of what you are experiencing.
Sorry I don't have a video... My sensitivity and deadzone are both set very low (10-15), so the control is very smooth and confortable, but after one or a couple hits with the walls, it's like the sensitivity and deadzone values just snap back very high so the steering become full tilt right or full tilt left with no way of regaining the on-center feeling. Checking the motion control options, both values remains correct in the options (10-15) but the controls feels like they went to max.

I still enjoy playing with a classic controller, so no big deal ;)

Reactions: Lostbhoy and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Well that eliminates one possible source of the bug. Are you using an official wiimote or third-party? Are you playing on a real Wii or mobile phone?
If you are willing to do more testing I will look at it again. The handling shouldn't go wack unless there is a bug somewhere else.

There are some people who are religious about motion controls so I want to try to get it as best as I can even though I am mostly playing with the wiimote dpad lately.

1704826266368.png

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Maybe you are holding the wiimote incorrectly?
When you are playing with motion the buttons on the wiimote should be facing upwards then you tilt it left and right the buttons should still face up. If the buttons are facing down it will flip back and forth.

Rick328

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When you are playing with motion the buttons on the wiimote should be facing upwards.
Did some tests last night and that's my bad: I was probably holding the wiimote with the buttons tilted slightly on the side. Too many years of Mariokart motion control playing with the Wiiwheel :rolleyes:. With the buttons facing upward, it controls responsively with no problem at all. Sorry and thank you again!!

Last edited by Rick328,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Yeah it's a flat style rather than a Wii wheel style. The Wii wheel style might be the better way but with the flat setup that's in place now you can tilt the wiimote forward to accelerate.
Post automatically merged:

I forgot to mention in the change log that I changed the loading animation after many many years to a more minimal theme. #wii #homebrew #gamedev

Last edited by newo,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Things I am working on for NZ v4.1 bug fix update;
* Found a bug in 4.0 where the classic controller dpad doesnt work in the level select scteen.
* Added a option in the motion control menu to allow button based acceleration instead of the default tilt based accel.
* Gonna remove the extra numbers that are on the level complete screen

screenshot_20231222113312.pngscreenshot_20240119002110.pngscreenshot_20240119003701.png

Last edited by newo,

Rick328

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
* Added a option in the motion control menu to allow button based acceleration instead of the default tilt based accel.

A little suggestion but I don't know how hard that could be to code-in: by adding the button based acceleration, the control scheme becomes closely like Mariokart, so would it be feasible to add the possibilty of holding the wiimote sideways (buttons facing the player), exactly like Mariokart? Like swapping the gyro axis value data that is used for the steering input... That would be awesome as it feels like a more natural position than with the buttons facing upward (even more if playing with a WiiWheel).
Keep up the good work! :yaywii:

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@Rick328 cool suggestion. I will look into it. I don't think it's going to be hard to add.

Of course I will need some testing of it

NewoZero Beta v4.1 - download link
- Wii-Wheel Option in motion-contrls menu (allows accell with button like MarioKart) and tilt angle with buttons facing player
- Classic controller dpad bug fix

Last edited by newo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far