Worst Gaming Related Thing You Ever Bought

absolalone111

Chiptune Extraordinaire
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An unofficial gamecube controller, thundershock or something like that. It was purple, unlike my black gamecube. It was the controller that guests played with. The L and R buttons stopped working so often that I just took it apart.

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
worst gaming related thing... hmmm, well I always think about what I am going to spend my money on, so never had actually bought a game that I didn't like... however, I did have bought world-of-warcraft-subscription. and it literary vanished into air, and what I do only have left, is a lvl 85 wow character. oh, and guitar hero, that stuff broke in 3 months. but nevertheless, I did have a great time with it. and I did have a great time with WoW too.
I think I will choose then a gba sp charger, which I had bought because I lost my orginal one and it was bulky as hell compared to the orginal. and only merely 2 days later, I found the orginal somewhere. so I only used that charger for 1 time, so it was pretty much a waste, however, I did not bought it, my mom did when I was little.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm...my first thought was a bunch of plastic pheripherals combo'ed together for a nice price. That steering wheel was never used, mainly because it wasn't made to fit the redesigned wiimote condoms they gave. Those condoms didn't cover as much as the regulars, but they did manage to make + and - keys nearly impossible to use. Battery replacement was slightly easier, but that's about it.
Top of that: it came with a USB battery charger that supposedly would hold your wiimote and batteries while charging them on your USB-port. What it didn't told you was that a wiimote in condom doesn't fit, and that the battery charger department is designed to get stuck.

Then I thought: my 3DS. Bought it at launch day. Lost interest while playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time (no, I never played a previous version of it). Last time I opened it was to get all the ambassador games. Those were kinda neat, but the controls are way too small for me. And I don't feel like trading it in for an XL I wouldn't use either.

But top of the list is definately some UT2004 figurines I once bought online. I didn't had a credit card back then, so a clanmate shipped in for me (the idea was to go to a LAN where I'd give it as a present to another friend I hadn't even seen before). While it was two weeks before said LAN (going to England was a huge investment back then...and even the figurines were about the only luxury items at all that year), it didn't arrive on time.
When I informed nearly a month later what was keeping it (the house owner got pretty tired of me asking about a delivery every other day), my clan mate learned - to his surprise - that it was sitting in a nearby depot for about a month. The shipping company had told him "the address doesn't exist". Which was bullshit. Even more that they hadn't bother to call me (I hated cell phones back then...but for that reason, I had it charged with me almost 24/7). They asked my clan mate if they should ship it back to the makers of the product. He obviously said no (or even screamed...this was supposed to be our surprise gift), and informed me.
When I called the delivery company - DHL, by the way - they told me they just shipped it back to Germany.

In the end, I got my money back for the figurines. But the worst part is that the delivery was about half the price...which I DIDN'T got back.
When looking back at it now, it's like nothing. The money was 20 or 30 euro's or something (half of which was shipping). But on a monthly spendable basis of 150 euro's (excluding just the rent...), that fucking hurted.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Counterfeit (or at least I think it was) PS1 memory cards. Would have bought the original one but by then they were no longer in production. It could be used but once you remove it from the slot, all memory is deleted for some unknown reason. This never happened to my old genuine ones. So I kinda leave it in there permanently with files for games which can only read from the 1st slot and use the original for the 2nd one which I could switch around. And to think I bought 2 from 2 different shops. Surely they must have gotten from the same supplier or something :\

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been pretty savvy with my purchases over the years, but I've had a lot of crap bought for me. Let's see...

- My mother's ex husband once bought me one of those multi-game cards for the Gameboy from a car boot sale. He meant well, to be fair, but when I used it just for a brief moment to be courteous and not hurt his feelings, the damn thing killed my Gameboy.

- My mother once bought me an LCD game of Aladdin with money I was saving up for Super Metroid, which completes itself. The enemies all kill themselves if left alone long enough and the collision detection is faulty so you can never die. Switch it on, press start, go make yourself a sandwich. Simple. And bloody offensive. To this day I have never owned a physical cartridge of Super Metroid. Incidentally, this LCD game was never sold anywhere for more than £15. I had £40 saved up, I was only £10 off my purchase. I had no money left in my account after this while mum also returned with two bags from River Island. Fuck you, you thieving whore.

- My dad once bought Halo 3, falling prey to the marketting hype of it being the best game of all time. To prove him wrong I finished it in just over 4 hours with no trouble whatsoever and simply said 'the good games are value for money'.

- I bought my friend's Xbox 360 a while back, only to discover a two pronged attack by Fate waiting for me as a result as the system had a critical fault and wouldn't read disks, then just as I saved up enough money for the needed repairs, I was burgled and the damn thing got stolen. So all in all a complete waste of money. Well, sort of. Since I got all his games with it, and half of them were shite, I traded them in for Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, so I guess I got at least something out of the whole ordeal.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With over 30 years of happy gaming memories , I have to say the worst peace of crap must have been the NEO Flash and Magic Key 1/2/3 !!!
The product was broken at launch , but it came with beta updates that were supposed to at least give it the advertised functionality, but they stopped at 0.4 or 0.6 and never bothered to release the source code or even bother to port the somehow better menu from their other flashcarts.

Horrible, horrible support and total disrespect for their customers who paid up to $ 300 fro said magic key + 256Mb flashcart combo ( I only got the magic key 3 for arounf $65 I believe, but still, what a rip off ! ).
Years of fake promises after that and they kept on working on new hardware instead of fixing the existing one etc..etc..etc..

NEO FLASH is a name that we don't hear too often these days, and for a reason !http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Assassin's Creed III: Liberations.
Not a bad game at all don't get me wrong (not brilliant either, but fun), but when I finished it I learned of a huge bug that randomly deletes your save file that seems to occur after you get 100% of one of the collections.
I really can't believe they released the game with a bug like that.
And I don't believe for one minute that they didn't see this in the testing phase.
Even if they finally patch it I don't think I'll ever replay it again, I was just too pissed off.

Also Animal Crossing for Wii.
The DS version was 10 times more fun.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I don't believe for one miute that they didn't see this in the testing phase.

If you're really accusing any game company of purposefully ignoring a game-ruining bug then that's a really bold and wildly incorrect accusation. Unless it's a "shit of the shit" tier game like... Elf Bowling.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you're really accusing any game company of purposefully ignoring a game-ruining bug then that's a really bold and wildly incorrect accusation. Unless it's a "shit of the shit" tier game like... Elf Bowling.
Ok I know I may have overreacted a little because I was so pissed off. It only happened 2 hours ago.
But a lot of people (I would say 1/4) are experiencing this bug so it can't be that they didn't notice it in development.
I just hope they come with a patch soon, for other people.
I really hate that companies seem to release 'unfinished' games these days.
I don't care it takes longer for the game to release, as long as I don't get any of these enraging bugs.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I know I may have overreacted a little because I was so pissed off. It only happened 2 hours ago.
But a lot of people (I would say 1/4) are experiencing this bug so it can't be that they didn't notice it in development.
I just hope they come with a patch soon, for other people.
I really hate that companies seem to release 'unfinished' games these days.
I don't care it takes longer for the game to release, as long as I don't get any of these enraging bugs.

Well they can't test for everything, actually a lot of games have game-breaking bugs. Metroid Other M did, Skyward Sword did, and games like Fallout 3, NV, TES IV and V are released with massive amounts of bugs. Skyrim is basically a year old and they're still releasing patches to fix bugs.

They can't test for everything and for every condition. A patch will most likely be issued, most games get patches on the Vita nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P