Hardware Would this be good to start off with?

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
I have $200 thanks to my girlfriend (since I ranked 2nd in my 1st game jam I entered) but I might be able to get $300...past that I am not sure when I will be able to plug money into this (with bills and me trying to get in school...though I just launched a Patreon page but no telling when that will start generating income)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"FREE HDMI 1.4 CABLE INCLUDED"
What a deal.

4 gigs of RAM is enough for a lot but still quite low compared to what is out there, especially if it is two sticks of RAM (if it is)

The motherboard does not have a model number which is odd.

Anyway $300 as a budget, no OS needed.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
PSU
Case
DVD drive
HDD

Replicating the specs, don't take this as a suggestions list.
CPU
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A6-5400K-3-6Ghz-Processor-AD540KOKHJBOX/dp/B0095VPBFY/
$60
Motherboard.
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-A55M-E33-Motherboards/dp/B00HGLX81O/
$40
RAM equivalent (kind of hard to find that small an amount)
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-240-Pin-CT25664BA160B/dp/B006YG88QC/
$22 x 2 = $44
HDD (again going as low as 1TB might change things)
http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B006GDVREI/
$55

$95 for a case, PSU and DVD. I do not like but it could be done, ideally I would have most of that go on the PSU and looking at the listing it seems they went for the cheap and cheerful option, indeed http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Corp-10-Bay-Computer-CS305BK/dp/B008CDNW6G/ has the combined case listed there and PSU (unknown) for $35

Had I not just found the case and PSU combo it would strike me more as someone built a machine, used it for a year or two and is now trying the flog it on for a small hit thing (I steer clear of such things but who knows). With that case find though they are charging you a decent sum for assembly, doable a decade ago but today you can do better.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow...Very informative...So should I just get the parts and just assembly it myself and just upgrade it as I go (I should note I am not a graphics dude...As long as the game plays and my computer does blow up Im good...I can get high end graphics when I have high end money) or can I simple do completely better with the $300

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah you are being charged about $60 for a DVD drive and assembly of it, possibly more if you hunt around and find a better deal (entirely possible, I used amazon because it was in my search bar). I do not really have any good vendors that I like in the US (there are probably several, I just do not know of them), around here I have a few that would sell a barebones, refurb or complete setup for not a lot that would do what you want (play stuff and upgrade when the time comes). Indeed now Windows XP has ended and people it is what I have been doing for months at this point.

You might still get something on ebay but that one is not a good deal.

Games wise. A year or so back we were living well as the consoles were holding things back and basically every half modern PC could play most things, I doubt it is going to reach the "needs bleeding edge" levels of earlier years again but I am still not sure the how new consoles are going to change things. Thankfully a few devs seem to have realised that a bigger audience is a good thing and are making games run on lower end machines.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
:D Sweet...That has me a little hopefully for what I can do with $300...I was kinda worried Id still need more money. If I were to buy everything from what you gave me I'd still have a good bit of money to throw around out of my budget. My goal is that if I can afford a functioning desktop I can sell my laptop as I don't use it much anymore and it would give me more money toward the laptop...I just cant get rid of it until I have something else.

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
www.newegg.com has great prices and often free shipping. I purchase almost exclusively from there. Items are constantly going on sale, so if you are willing to wait a little bit, you could save a significant amount of money. www.tigerdirect.com may also be worth a look, although I still prefer Newegg.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i dont use it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i use the "center camera in object" action
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i cant find that smart camera extension
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, its called Smooth Camera
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa we should have a meeting with other forum memebers and take shrooms
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i think you would be a great trip guider
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I'd wonder off somewhere probably
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey made some Sun tea yesterday, and cut up some peaches in let sit in there w the teabags, shit is Da bomb. Bout to try it with some peach vodka..
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i dont think the rectangular movement behavior works for platform games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it does. And you can add platform character behavior to your own charcter, and it will have move and jump already setup for you, space bar is jump, arrows move
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this +1