Homebrew Would this work to run "backups" using HANS? If not, why wouldn't it?

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I'm not just asking this because I'm looking for a way to run roms. I have <9.2, so I can use CFW anyway. But I thought of two methods in which it might be possible to run "backups".

I noticed that HANS is capable of redirecting both the code and the romfs for a game to the SD card. So what if you tell HANS to load one game in this way, but have the code and romfs for a different game on the SD card? Wouldn't it just overwrite the whole thing with the new game, letting you play it?

The second way depends on when exactly the system checks signatures. Basically, since HANS bypasses the normal process of launching a game (which enables region free, among other things) I'm thinking it might let you run installed CIA's without needing a signature patch. As for actually installing the CIA's, we already know it's possible to load the eShop through HANS, and obviously that has the necessary access to install CIA's. So you could replace it with modified code that can load CIA's from the SD card, maybe even a completely different program, like FBI or DevMenu.

Would either of these work? I'm assuming I'm probably wrong about something, considering if it worked, someone would probably have already figured it out. But there's always the chance that I'm the first to think of it, and even if it doesn't work, I'm still curious why it wouldn't, so I thought I'd post it here anyway.

Reactions: Tigroid

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It still needs the exefs , correct me if i'm wrong.
The exefs contains the code (which you're trying to replace anyway), the icon (contains flags which may be relevant & might need to vaguely match), the banner (should be irrelevant) and the logo (should be irrelevant).

Try it & report back I guess.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Different games reserve different sizes for exefs and romfs. For instance, if game A reserves 1 MB for exefs and 2 MB for romfs, but game B needs 2 MB for exefs and only 1 MB for romfs, starting game A with B's data won't work since not enough exefs space is reserved. In reality, it's even more complicated than that because ExeFS is subdivided in subsections. There are more issues like this if you consider that each game has a particular set of service access privileges, etc.

Acryt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be, who knows. Smea 10000% didn't design for it to be used for such though, so it's unlikely he'll support it if it's used off his tool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: If you get a chance to get a Pi5, get it, its like 3 times as fast as the Pi4 for Emu.