Hardware Xbox 360 phat with weird attachment

link64uk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I got an old xbox 360 phat in a job lot of RRODs and this was on one of them. I have tried looking online to see what it is but to no avail. Does anyone know what it is and what it does?
So it's attached in front of the hdd and seems to be wired up to something.
I havent opened it up as I don't want to ruin anything.
The switch says mode on in the centre, mode off on the left and xb360 on the right. There is a power switch an eject button and a pc to 360 switch it also has a port at the front but I'm not sure what cable it takes. Sorry for the rubbish pictures hopefully that's enough info.

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_121710.jpg
    IMG_20230413_121710.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 16819087218918461615240321270588.jpg
    16819087218918461615240321270588.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: Error-1-2435-8325

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Afaik, it was one of the alternatives for the Xkey.
If anything it was one of the things which allowed the reflash of DVD drives more easily w/o disassembly of the console.

Last time I seen such a thing has been a decade ago orso...

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blaster 360.

https://www.shop01media.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1426

It was for flashing your drive without constantly taking your xbox to bits. This was back in the day when there seemed to be a new firmware every other week and drives could be flashed with just a compatible sata chipset.

Could also use the passthrough to use the drive to rip xbox games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard the blaster no longer works, so it's basically useless now.
Why would the blaster not work anymore? It's basically an external connection to the internals of the DVD drive right? And its super cool to see this stuff pop up from time to time. I never had one but there were always little hardware things like this that made a lot of sense back then.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would the blaster not work anymore? It's basically an external connection to the internals of the DVD drive right? And its super cool to see this stuff pop up from time to time. I never had one but there were always little hardware things like this that made a lot of sense back then.
I do not know. That's what I was told.

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not know. That's what I was told.
Hmm I don't know. Maybe it was more of it's useless now. Because when was the last FW released for a 360 dvd drive? Like someone else said updates felt like they were weekly at one point. I would have loved something like this back in the day.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I don't know. Maybe it was more of it's useless now. Because when was the last FW released for a 360 dvd drive? Like someone else said updates felt like they were weekly at one point. I would have loved something like this back in the day.
I dunno. they were trying to use attacks to point out people with a flashed drive. a lot of things are probably meaningless now, 2 generations later. however, I'm sure it's technically still possible to be banned, just don't know what they look for. I do know that they don't care about gamerscore hacks, speaking personally. they'll just reset them, so exploiting the 360 may not be that bad. they never banned my account, so who knows???

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno. they were trying to use attacks to point out people with a flashed drive. a lot of things are probably meaningless now, 2 generations later. however, I'm sure it's technically still possible to be banned, just don't know what they look for. I do know that they don't care about gamerscore hacks, speaking personally. they'll just reset them, so exploiting the 360 may not be that bad. they never banned my account, so who knows???
Not sure either. Had a flashed drive for quite a few years and never got banned. Kept my FW up to date and made sure my burns were good and never had a problem.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure either. Had a flashed drive for quite a few years and never got banned. Kept my FW up to date and made sure my burns were good and never had a problem.
Iirc, Microsoft typically banned people in waves, which there hasn't been one in many years. Unlike Sony, they almost immediately dropped support for the 360 after xbone launched, so maybe they don't really care?

jakl_53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iirc, Microsoft typically banned people in waves, which there hasn't been one in many years. Unlike Sony, they almost immediately dropped support for the 360 after xbone launched, so maybe they don't really care?
That's what I'm thinking. I have no clue as I really have no reason to turn on my 360. It's sitting in a box somewhere.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls