'XBOX ONE' ANNOUNCED!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Microsoft said:
Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.
Clever play on words to hide the fact this thing has to be connected to the internet -- just not continuously.

Maybe its a once/5min check, who knows. Its effectively the same as forced online.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly. The fact that you can resell digital purchases is pretty neat, it's a feature not present on Nintendo's or Sony's system and something users of Digital Downloads cried for for years.

To be fair, MS is also the first (in the console space) to face this kind of situation (= selling ONLY digitally activated account-linked games), hence the need to come up with a solution.

Sony and Nintendo still give you the option to buy play-it-anywhere self-sufficient retail disc games, for the most part.

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Clever play on words to hide the fact this thing has to be connected to the internet -- just not continuously.

Maybe its a once/5min check, who knows. Its effectively the same as forced online.

Kotaku just reported that the check is apparently 24 hours, and I assume after which you can't play...

Reactions: Snailface
D

Deleted_171835

I dunno, maybe because they're
The Xbox One isn't looking too good right now.

I disagree...?
There are no details on this supposed solution to sell and trade used games online. Even so, you can't play used games without paying Microsoft the full price of the game (not just a fee) so no more bringing games over to a friend's house.

They killed the retail used market for Xbox One games so you won't be able to go to Gamestop to purchase a used game for cheap. Now you have to buy them online through whatever convoluted system Microsoft has set up.

Having to get permission (by activating online) from Microsoft to play a game is ridiculous. What about all those people who never connect their system to the internet or people with spotty connections who will be prevented from playing until their internet comes back online.

And unlike a Wiimote, Kinect doesn't offer any actual gameplay improvements aside from flailing your arms like an idiot. Personally, I think it's a pointless addition and shouldn't be a mandatory part of the console. Not to mention that Kinect isn't exactly the most reliable device for something that's going to be always on.

All these moves are completely consumer unfriendly and unless you own stock in Microsoft, I don't know why anyone would try to justify these moves.

edit: and it has forced online too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no details on this supposed solution to sell and trade used games online. Even so, you can't play used games without paying Microsoft the full price of the game (not just a fee) so no more bringing games over to a friend's house.

They killed the retail used market for Xbox One games so you won't be able to go to Gamestop to purchase a used game for cheap. Now you have to buy them online through whatever convoluted system Microsoft has set up.

Having to get permission (by activating online) from Microsoft to play a game is ridiculous. What about all those people who never connect their system to the internet or people with spotty connections who will be prevented from playing until their internet comes back online.

And unlike a Wiimote, Kinect doesn't offer any actual gameplay improvements aside from flailing your arms like an idiot. Personally, I think it's a pointless addition and shouldn't be a mandatory part of the console. Not to mention that Kinect isn't exactly the most reliable device for something that's going to be always on.

All these moves are completely consumer unfriendly and unless you own stock in Microsoft, I don't know why anyone would try to justify these moves.

Funny you should mention stock, Sony's went up after the Xbox was announced today. Microsoft knows its customers like the back of their hands!

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because the PS3 didn't suffer from YLOD's and the early Wii's didn't suffer from the lesser-known Blue Disc Slot of Death when their GPU's fried themselves.

C'mon. All early revisions of hardware come with certain flaws.
Actually both my white launch wii and my fat launch ps3 are still alive and work just fine and I bough the 3 consoles almost at the same time never had a problem with those 2 but the 360 didn't hold on a week.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I can't lend my friends my games and vice versa without some fee involved lol oh dear...

I take this word from the Microsoft higher ups who confirmed this to multiple media presses then their shitty support team who has posted false stuff before.

Also if your net is down for a day or two, no gaming for you. This is jokes,.

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have empathy of anybody that purchases a xbox one if indeed there is a monthly/daily login requirement.

What is worse is I know some people that do not pay attention to the news and will subsequently purchase an xbox one only to be bitten by the online requirement.

One example of such a group are 60 year olds types that do not know how to download malwarebytes that would enable them to remove the hundreds of viruses that infect their computer. Indeed such a crowd probably do not know what a virus is.

ummm. i feel bad for any1 who buys xbox one cuz they gonna need monthly internet access.

watch, i kno some ppl who dont pay attention to the news r gonna buy xbox one and expect it to have offline mode 24/7.

example: like those 60 year olds who dont kno how to download malwarebytes to remove 100 viruses off tha computer. they prob dont even kno wat a virus is.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares about the Xbox one having a 24 hour "must connect to online" rule? Nobody will buy one.

They have a shitty designed console that looks like a briefcase that was made in a backalley, from what little gameplay they showed it looks insanely inferior to the PS4, the controller looks awful and nothing of any interest was actually announced apart from "promises of 15 exclusive games" hell the call of duty game even looked shit. PS4 is going to shit all over the Xbox one next gen.

No I'm not a fanboy, just stating the facts.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
They better put a huge sticker on the front of the box saying "Internet Required", or else there's going to be tons of complaints from those not aware of this and end up returning it.

Now if they suddenly announced that online would be completely free (hahahahaha ya right) then they could really quiet down the talk all over about it requiring internet connection (at start and then every 24 hours apparently?) for playing any game.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait until the youtube videos showing the Xbox 1's destruction are posted, because the only thing it's useful for is something to take your frustrations and anger on.

Oh and my response to the lack of constant offline mode

MIfNdeX.jpg

Reactions: chartube12

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Personally I would not be surprised if the xbox one gets the same type of exclusives as the 360, anybody that that watched previous Microsoft E3 presentations knowing what they are. What comes to my mind when I think of xbox 360 exclusives is halo, forza and gears of war with precious little else.

When I think of ps3, I think of the last of us, journey, heavy rain, beyond souls, uncharted, metal gear solid 4 guns of the patriots, little big planet, god of war 3, demon's souls, and such. B-)

---

i wouldnt b surprised if xbox one gets the same type of exclusives like xbox 360. what comes to my mind when i think of xbox 360 is halo, forza and gears of war. notthing else.

when i think of ps3, i think of the last of us, journey, heavy rain, beyond souls, uncharted, metal gear solid 4 guns of the patriots, little big planet, god of war 3, demons souls, and such. B-)

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I apologise if this has already been posted but More bad news

So if this is correct, no more lending games to friends? They have to pay the full price of the game to play it on their console even if you already own the game...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, ey +1