'XBOX ONE' ANNOUNCED!

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a VCR. It sits on top of my 5-disc DVD player and under my NES and SNES. :)

what? no laser disc?

I think the xbox is overkill and at the same time not a good buy as a multimedia box. I personally don't like to talk to my devices and pushing a button is still faster than talking. Also that thing is huge! it looks bigger than a satellite receiver which I was already so happy to get rid off. compare that to a roku or apple tv and it really just falls flat on its face.

I can see it being successful with 20 something single guys that don't need to share their tv with family or girlfriends.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what? no laser disc?

I think the xbox is overkill and at the same time not a good buy as a multimedia box. I personally don't like to talk to my devices and pushing a button is still faster than talking. Also that thing is huge! it looks bigger than a satellite receiver which I was already so happy to get rid off. compare that to a roku or apple tv and it really just falls flat on its face.

I can see it being successful with 20 something single guys that don't need to share their tv with family or girlfriends.
When my high school library was unloading outdated equipment, my friend took their laser-disc player. I understand that laser-disc is the best way to watch Star Wars and that's what they used to make the despecialized edition.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I would still hold that most of the commercial media box offerings are sub par at best compared to a proper PC and thus the xbone could corner a decent chunk of the market if it wanted to.
I can certainly appreciate that talking to electronics is odd but so are many things you may now take for granted (I dare say at some point "why do I need a remote when I can get up and push a button" was uttered by more than a few people somewhere). Also is it done to the exclusion of or as a bonus to? As such if it spares fumbling for the remote in a dark room for someone at some point it might be worth it.
Huge -- I thought that was one already taken and with safety factor not a lot bigger than an original PS3.

Given most new monitors accept HDMI in and multi tv households are nothing new, certainly I can see it going over favourably with that demographic but I do not think that has to be the sole one.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because an iPhone, whether you fucking like it or not, is an excellent smartphone that's easy to use with great functionality and the best app ecosystem available in the mobile market. I have never seen an iPhone that doesn't have 3 pages of apps filled with games and functionality apps in it. Just the truth. It's actually a good phone that serves a very good purpose. On the other hand, take away the XBOX ONE's gaming capability and you're left with what is essentially a very expensive and ugly paperweight.
I am not questioning if the iPhone is a good smartphone. I am merely saying that people usually use the phone to connect to the internet, use facebook, snapchat, whatsapp and the ocasional game most of which can run on a low-end phone. I say from experience since I can do all of that with my low-end smartphone. Just because the phone is filled with apps doesn't mean they are all used.

And we're talking about its prospects if it loses its ability to game. It's useless. First off, phones and tablets have voice commands. It's not exactly a damn hovercar. Second, if I tell my uncle that there's a machine that can do pretty much everything a Smart TV does but has always on voice commands but doesn't have a TV included in it and costs a lot, they'd probably tell me to stay the fuck away from it. So no.
I am not saying your uncle would buy it, but disconsidering money limitations would anyone not like to have such machine in their living room? I know I would.

Then show us this statistics.
I don't need to. Everyone knows that the USA is the world's greatest importer. Every company want to sell to the US or open a factory there. I am not talking about culture, it's a true fact that video games consoles sales are better in the US than in France, Germany, Russia, Brazil and so on. And they buy it because they have the money, that's right. I don't mean that every american is like this, but to ignore the fact that the US has a huge sales potential is just silly.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
........ As such if it spares fumbling for the remote in a dark room for someone at some point it might be worth it.

What makes you think that kinect would work in complete darkness? You still need a decently lit room to use it last I checked.
Might as well use your TV remote.

AaronZ

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Sony has won next gen at this point with Wii U coming in second, there's just no way this thing is gonna take off with online requirements and blocking used games. Anyone who has been gaming for more than 10 years should not buy it just to prove that shit like that is unacceptable.

Reactions: chartube12

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
On Topic: I dont see why people are angry with Xbox, the information reveled is inside my expectations. Ok, it has "only" 8GB RAM, but the rest is ok. When PSP was released, Sony put more emphasis on media stuff than on gaming, but PSP remains as a Video Game, and was a sucessfull product.

Now off topic again:
I don't need to. Everyone knows that the USA is the world's greatest importer. Every company want to sell to the US or open a factory there. I am not talking about culture, it's a true fact that video games consoles sales are better in the US than in France, Germany, Russia, Brazil and so on. And they buy it because they have the money, that's right. I don't mean that every american is like this, but to ignore the fact that the US has a huge sales potential is just silly.
You said that "expensive computers and gadgets sell way more in the US than other regions". USA is the biggest consumer market, that is a fact, but I have no information about "expensive computers and gadgets" sales. I bet on Japan, but I have no reliable information about it, so if dont mind, please share your sources with us.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What makes you think that kinect would work in complete darkness? You still need a decently lit room to use it last I checked.
Might as well use your TV remote.
Assuming that is the case I was more following on from the "I don't like speaking to my electronics" thing.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You said that "expensive computers and gadgets sell way more in the US than other regions". USA is the biggest consumer market, that is a fact, but I have no information about "expensive computers and gadgets" sales. I bet on Japan, but I have no reliable information about it, so if dont mind, please share your sources with us.
Ok, ok! What do you want me to do, remember every statistic I ever saw and present to you in order to give a conclusion? What I said come from observation in many statistics I've seen related to smartphone sales, computer sales, games sales... What I meant was that in the USA selling big and expensive things is not as bad as it would be in India for example and is probably the market where it is most likely to accept this kind of console. And the Xbox One does seem to be a fine console is not like MS is sellinf a rolex or anything.

I ignored Japan in this case because MS never been much succesful there in the video game area and because Xbox One doesn't look adapted to the japanese market, who wouldn't like such a big box in there tiny homes.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm actually interested in what will happen to the Xbox One in 10 years or so one they stop selling new games and consoles. Will discs basically become useless when you can't access Live for the new codes? (Assuming that the servers change in one way or the other). So far the presentation showed little new to compared to rumors, but it'd be nice to see if there was something that could help with the future-proofing of the console.

ps. The reason why I care about this? I bought an Xbox 360 a few months ago and I've got a game collection of ~40-50 games so far. In total I've paid about 600-700 euros for the lot (includes the LE Halo 4 console + 2 LE controllers + 2 extra LE controllers (the other version) (300 euros in total, bought new). If all the games were new, it'd be about 2500 euros (with the assumption that games were 50e each, which is very rare here in finland. The average game is 59.95/69.95 euros).

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm actually interested in what will happen to the Xbox One in 10 years or so one they stop selling new games and consoles. Will discs basically become useless when you can't access Live for the new codes? (Assuming that the servers change in one way or the other). So far the presentation showed little new to compared to rumors, but it'd be nice to see if there was something that could help with the future-proofing of the console.

ps. The reason why I care about this? I bought an Xbox 360 a few months ago and I've got a game collection of ~40-50 games so far. In total I've paid about 600-700 euros for the lot (includes the LE Halo 4 console + 2 LE controllers + 2 extra LE controllers (the other version) (300 euros in total, bought new). If all the games were new, it'd be about 2500 euros (with the assumption that games were 50e each, which is very rare here in finland. The average game is 59.95/69.95 euros).
The fact that discs still exist doesn't change the fact that game corps do hate used and discounted game markets, and they will continue to try to kill it.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have enough multimedia devices. I just want a cutting edge gaming platform (other than PC which doesn't have much in the way of local multiplayer).
I've never been a fan of Sony's gaming library (cross platforms are inferior to the 360 versions, and Sony exclusives are all Japanese developed games that I have no interest in), but with all this Microsoft focus on features I don't want (multimedia), and the loss of features I do want (used games, offline play), I may become a Sony gamer after all.
Of course, Sony may be planning the same thing for used games and offline play.

Microsoft's biggest kick to the nards is the lack of backwards compatibility. I understand it's a different platform and difficult to emulate the resource demanding games, but all those lightweight XBLA titles should be a breeze to emulate. For shame MS for not letting us transfer our XBLA games, for shame.

here I've been calling the original xbox: Xbox 1. What kind of naming scheme is this?

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that this used game ban could be challenged and found to be illegal? First sale doctrine would be being violated I think. Could they could be forced to stop selling discs if they want to do this?

I did find a statement from gamefly on the internet saying they have nothing to say until Microsoft makes more details available....I guess they could work out some sort of deal or something.

I could also see people sharing an account to more easily share games. Maybe you could have an account to share and install games on multiple consoles that other accounts could then access. I would think this would have to be possible on at least a limited basis. I doubt they would block some one with multiple consoles from being able to play their game on both of them.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that this used game ban could be challenged and found to be illegal? First sale doctrine would be being violated I think. Could they could be forced to stop selling discs if they want to do this?

I did find a statement from gamefly on the internet saying they have nothing to say until Microsoft makes more details available....I guess they could work out some sort of deal or something.

But pc games can't be bought used either. If it even went to trial I could see microsoft claiming a double standard against them.

Link

Ouch I didn't even think of that. Yet another nail. How many is that now? I lost track!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Trans Former, women and men who used to be the other sex! Autoerotic asphyxiation bdsm is fun at...