Xbox One Delayed in part of Europe and Russia

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
As for those territories, if they're in dire need of an Xbox One they could just as easily import one.

They can easily import, but not-so-easily go online. Who is on a unsuported country must use some kind of international proxy to use the online features, wich is slow and not so easy to do.

Guaranteed to be region free then I guess.

I can not find the source of this but I'm 99% sure that it is region free, and they do their regional lock only on Xbox Live

Looks like Microsoft are doing everything they can to help Sony (even if they don't need any help) :) .

I don't see sony in a better position. They only have a better price, but still they haven't done anything special so far. I still don't have reasons to believe that PS4 will do any better than Vita did. (cool hardware, no support from sony at all, lack of games).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd have preferred that they launch at the same time. Oh well, now I know that I won't be buying the Xbox One as the first next gen console. I was really thinking about switching from the PS side, but since it won't be available at launch, it'll also mean that the X1 will be on sale further in the future than the PS4. Meh.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they want to give their fans in those countries more of an incentive to like them since they seem to have bombed out here. I bet a lot more people will be excited about the free game they'll get over there.
How come it seems like every time they fix something that people didn't like with the Xbox One, they proceed to make another problem worse? This astoundingly limited launch is just going to hand people over to Sony. Many people aren't going to want to wait for whenever the hell Microsoft decides the One is ready to launch in their country, and for the many where it comes down to either Microsoft or Sony, the choice will be obvious if they're eager to get to next gen gaming.

You forgot to capitalize the before One.

At least people get free games...

Wonder what game though...

The equivalent of Wii Sports, only for the Kinect? Or maybe a form of Galaxian where the enemies are little Microsoft Xbox icons and the spaceship is a hand with the middle finger acting as the nose?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I might be getting a PS4 in the end, since Microsoft hates ASIA.(I am planning to move to South Korea at some point or maybe even Japan) I think I have no use of the XBOX One over there.

lestat2305

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The main reason for the delay seems to be that they want to make sure they have useful and working localized apps at launch. The 360 allowed users to install apps they couldn't use in their country like Netflix.

But to me that's all just a reason to hide a bigger problem. Everybody seems to forget that the Xbone is also a TV cable provider and since each country has :
  1. different competing providers:
  2. different channels
  3. different decoding hardware systems
  4. different distribution laws
If they have to figure all that out before they can launch their console , that means it's gonna take a while
btw does anybody know how they are gonna make you pay for the cableTV? 'cause it sure as hell ain't free in my country and is nicely bundled with my phone and internet and I don't want to pay twice just to watch TV.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I might be getting a PS4 in the end, since Microsoft hates ASIA.(I am planning to move to South Korea at some point or maybe even Japan) I think I have no use of the XBOX One over there.
It's more of a mutual thing. AFAIK most of Asia has never been interested in the Xbox, so why should Microsoft be interested in them?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know why you had to single out Russia in the title, part of Europe includes Russia too.

Wonder if any people in the affected countries will risk importing. Is MS gonna IP region block people where it's not on sale yet?
Saw it in a quote so thought I might as well address this.
Russia is not a part of the EU, the EEC/EEA, the Schengen Area or any of the other things that typically get used to measure Europe. There are no visa waiver options for those in the EU and the favour is returned in kind in most places (though the mere fact you need a visa says most things you need to know) and beyond that it is oft considered a further area as far as the distribution, sale, production and consumption of games goes. There are deep ties, as there are ties everywhere, between Russia and the EU or the entity otherwise referred to as Europe, and there are ties between Russia and its former states, many of which are now tied to the EU far more closely or indeed are fully within it, but give or take some interesting geographical ponderings it is not part of anything that is politically considered Europe.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Even if it means lack of competition on christmas season (which is usually bad) I'm happy that it's nintendo and sony competing so microsoft could actually get their s**t together. As mainly PC gamer I have already got enough with their GFWL service which they refuse to fix.

Anyway I'm going to laugh on side when I'm going to get all new games cheaper without getting new hardware and watch console punks fight. Just hoping that after smoke clears it's PS4 which wins. It seems so much better and at least this generations motion controls Move is the best one even if it only had two real games as kinect is only about waving arms aroung and yelling instead of pushing buttons. Wii U should be best to win as unique controls and exclusives but it seems pretty unrealistic at least now...

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a very strange move by ms. Might be problems in manufactoring or there might be very huge demand for it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Saw it in a quote so thought I might as well address this.
Russia is not a part of the EU, the EEC/EEA, the Schengen Area or any of the other things that typically get used to measure Europe. There are no visa waiver options for those in the EU and the favour is returned in kind in most places (though the mere fact you need a visa says most things you need to know) and beyond that it is oft considered a further area as far as the distribution, sale, production and consumption of games goes. There are deep ties, as there are ties everywhere, between Russia and the EU or the entity otherwise referred to as Europe, and there are ties between Russia and its former states, many of which are now tied to the EU far more closely or indeed are fully within it, but give or take some interesting geographical ponderings it is not part of anything that is politically considered Europe.
It may as well also be mentioned that when learning the layout of countries in Europe, only a small part of Russia is actually considered to be within Europe even by academic standards that may ignore more conventional border measurements. Otherwise, largely, Russia is a part of Asia, which I've always thought should throw a pretty large wrench in the idea of an "Asian" stereotype. Anyways, an easy way to remember that Russia is pretty much all Asia is that, not only did Russia lose all the land it once held in Europe (post World Wars, after the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the like, the redrawing of Eastern Europe's borders solidified these losses of land), but the natural and accepted division between Europe and Asia (the Ural Mountains) leaves little of Russia as a whole within Europe.

Funnily enough, most people don't directly associate Russia with Asia either. It tends to be mentioned separately due to more divisions by nature within Asia itself. The Middle East is considered quite the same way. Although technically part of Asia, we tend to differentiate it with its own region name (the Middle East) in order to identify that the natural conditions differ by so much that the areas can't possibly be considered the same in any way, down to how one might associate the people. To be entirely fair, of course, Egypt is also associated with the idea of the Middle East culturally, but being the only non-Asian country, it doesn't seem like the region would need its own name to entirely differentiate it.

I guess the moral of this story is that if you think the majority of Russia is in Europe, or even that the majority of the Russian population lives within the part of Russia that lies within the European continent, you should probably brush up on your geography and world population distributions. Being essentially its own separate entity from just about everything, it definitely needs a unique mention when mentioning either Europe or Asia.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a manager, can I get a ban check over here, on register 1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yep texasauras checks out as a 12 yr old, even tho claims is 36, ban material right there.
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Can't you be small on ya? :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes he can put a small one on ya
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok, stock it in the kids section, 80% off. Manager special.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I wouldn't be surprised if this is susbaconhairman.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What makes pooping after a shower feel so great
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2,
    bc you resist the urge to poop while showering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shit talker
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I hate when that happens, you just get out of shower n need to drop bombs. Guess I could of just used the shower and waffle stomped them logs into the drain.
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i just get out of the shower, it slides right out when my ass is lathered and i don't need to wipe
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pro tip: Girlfriends love when you shower together, you leave a tootsie roll in shower for her. Instant Love level +100
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if she eats it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then she's a keeper
    +3
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    ^^ This :rofl2:
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    i didnt feel very well in school cuz there was too much noise for me to handle
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also im gonna redownload touhou 8 bc the other day i accidentaly deleted it (and also try to beat it with other characters and harder difficulties)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Sensory overloads suck.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I totally get that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I totally get that.